• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Pump Issues - Loud grinding

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for the reply,

Considering I have done this already (Replace the pump,) there's a couple possibilities:

1. The new pump I received was a faulty one, likely from a return before me.

2. The new pump was also damaged by debris because I didn't flush the system, only refill with fresh distilled.

I'm wary of spending another 80, scared even. I would ask how to polish it but I think I know better, these things are sensitive and it would likely make it worse right?

Can anything other than debris cause this? And this might be related; my rad is from 2009, should I just replace it or was cleaning it enough? If this issue is from my lack of maintenance, or old parts, I'd rather blame old parts. :p Though I did clean the rad a year and a half ago as well.

I edited my post because I was up all night, my fresh eyes worried that I came off a little ungrateful. This isn't the case, though I am frustrated after trying to slay this dragon for so long. If I replace the pump again, I want to make sure it won't happen again. If it does, I'll probably slap air coolers on and give up for good. Not that I threaten or expect anyone to care about my choices, it's just I'm starting to think I'm too dumb for the hobby and that would be the last straw.

Last edited:
Quick update, I'm on my phone right now as I dismantle and clean everything. I already finished cleaning the CPU block, it was blocked up with what looked like moist lint with a few specks of metal, which was a little alarming.

Though I have to ask what kind of debris can do this? The plastic coating on the caps that came with the resevoir? That's the only debris I have spotted so far.

That's not what you said earlier.
I believe it WAS metal, and I believe that you just changed pumps and topped off the loop and the same metal killed your second pump too.
The metal probably came from a non-cleaned radiator.

Oh dear, I didn't even think of that. You have to forgive me, it's been multiple days.

I should have taken a picture of it, though. I will say it was only a few tiny specks, it's not as if the whole loop was/is glittering as it runs. I would never have noticed had I not cracked open the CPU block to clean it, who knows how long it's been there?

I was alarmed by it, and it sounds like I righly should have been. Is there anything inline I can buy that has a filter with a magnet? Or would dropping a magnet in the resevoir temporarily until I'm 100% sure work?

What do I do?

Here man. If you don't want to take the whole rig apart to clean all your parts, maybe custom water cooling isn't your thing. It's written as part of the basics in our stickies. You need to clean all your stuff. Been doing this for, can't remember but I wanna say 5+ years? I've done tear downs annually and changed fluid. Was I excited for it? Of course not lol but it's got to get done. I've since changed fluids so I don't have to tear my loop down as much but that's a whole other subject.

Might want to replace the impeller if you're lucky or the whole pump but its a gamble. If funds are a issue and after two pumps I wouldn't blame you, try looking for a nice used pump if worst comes to worse.

Here man. If you don't want to take the whole rig apart to clean all your parts, maybe custom water cooling isn't your thing. It's written as part of the basics in our stickies. You need to clean all your stuff. Been doing this for, can't remember but I wanna say 5+ years? I've done tear downs annually and changed fluid. Was I excited for it? Of course not lol but it's got to get done. I've since changed fluids so I don't have to tear my loop down as much but that's a whole other subject.

Might want to replace the impeller if you're lucky or the whole pump but its a gamble. If funds are a issue and after two pumps I wouldn't blame you, try looking for a nice used pump if worst comes to worse.

I cleaned my parts a year and a half ago and I cleaned them 2 days ago after it was suggested in this thread.

Seeing as there wasn't much evidence of metal debris spare a few specks caught in the CPU block, I'm now worried that it doesn't take much at all to destroy a pump and that prompts me to ask if there's an inline filter with a magnet in case my best efforts to clean the rad just isn't enough.

I started the watercooling hobby back in 2009 with my first order from koolance, it was a lot of fun. But I won't say I'm an expert, I won't say there's nothing I can learn. I probably don't clean often enough, but I do clean.

Last edited:
I wasn't meaning to make it sound like you were negligent. I only clean about once a year. Sometimes a little longer.
Solder in most radiators breaks down over time. Sometimes pieces dislodge. It happens. It's happened to me. You cannot watch it all the time, so I try to minimize the probability of damage by doing the maintenance. Sometimes it costs you a part or two. Stuff doesn't last forever.

No worries OP. I've been using my MCP-35X2 pump for 5 years now. I've cleaned them several times even though they looked and still look good as new. We all probably have a few speckles of metal floating around but I can't wrap my head around on what the heck would cause such a thing.

The only filters I know of that I've used in the past are the koolance ones if you want a piece of mind.

Keep us up to date on your next steps.

Just now while I was playing CSGO the rattling came back as my temps rose.

The speed of the pump isn't controlled by my temps, it's manual only. Is it possible at all that an increase in water temperature is causing this? If so, how? Expansion?

Okay so you have flushed your loop, cleaned all your parts, refilled loop and the rattle is still there?
New pump time I think. 3rd time's a charm they say.

If you have drained and scrubbed all your parts clean and have done the "rad dance" then there is good chance all the loose junk has be flushed out so you shouldn't damage a brand new pump if you hook it all up.

Just now while I was playing CSGO the rattling came back as my temps rose.

The speed of the pump isn't controlled by my temps, it's manual only. Is it possible at all that an increase in water temperature is causing this? If so, how? Expansion?

That's an interesting question. What are you CPU, GPU, water and ambient temps?

I only track CPU and GPU through psensor. When in game my temps for both are 40 and 42 respectively, CSGO isn't very demanding. Idle is 29 and 30.

10C really shouldn't expand anything much, but I'm no engineer. I might be wrong. I've noticed it happen this way at least 20 times now, though. But it's not completely reliable. Like 2 or 3 times it did it while I wasn't doing anything.

If a 2nd new pump presents the same problems, would it be time to knock on monsoon's door asking what the heck is up with my res?

Edit:
Alright, I ordered another new pump through prime. Will be here friday.

Last edited:
And make sure to inspect the pump before installing. You never know these days when buying from 3rd parties, non reputable folks if you've chosen this route (Amazon). Just saw a guy in EVGA forums tell us that he purchased a 6950x ($1649.99) CPU in a sealed retail box, only to realize he got a Confidential Engineering Sample of a $300+ Xeon 8-core CPU from Amazon.

A magnet won't help, either. The metals inside the loop are copper, aluminum, and solder. Except for the steel pump parts, none are magnetic.

I had the same exact thing happen to one of my D5s the bearing looks fine but the plastic cup pressed into the impeller is what failed on mine.

When that part wears it allows the impeller to run closer to the magnetic housing minimizing the wall/impeller gap, the impeller is balanced and if that balance is off any at all the thinner gap will allow it to actually hit the housing wall.

Once it begins hitting the housing wall and wearing the metal your balance is gone and it is just a matter of time until failure, if the pump is under warranty get it replaced.

Alphacool is very nonresponsive about warranty claims, lol. Contact the seller, they said. Well the seller sold it to me nearly 2 years ago, I don't think they'll be so receptive. Would be nice to replace it, to have a backup pump.

Just don't think it's gonna happen though, lol. Do you happen to have a picture of the worn area? I'd like to compare if possible.

Alphacool is very nonresponsive about warranty claims, lol. Contact the seller, they said. Well the seller sold it to me nearly 2 years ago, I don't think they'll be so receptive. Would be nice to replace it, to have a backup pump.

Just don't think it's gonna happen though, lol. Do you happen to have a picture of the worn area? I'd like to compare if possible.

Can I ask was this a personal seller on Amazon or was this a reputed etailer site specializing in custom water cooling?

You never know these days and D5s have been around for a long time now. Some have them running for 5+ years no problem.

Can I ask was this a personal seller on Amazon or was this a reputed etailer site specializing in custom water cooling?

You never know these days and D5s have been around for a long time now. Some have them running for 5+ years no problem.

The original D5 I purchased was from performance-pcs.com

As for the one I just ordered, here's their marketplace page:
https://www.amazon.com/sp?&seller=A3GO5VFCNOM5I7

Installed the new pump, but the very first thing I noticed:

IMG_20160923_223835.jpg

Well how about that, eh? The issue becomes far more obvious, doesn't it?

Hahaha.

Will keep everyone posted if any issues crop up.
(Oh right, this new pump didn't immediately start grinding on first run like the last did. I'm really starting to suspect I was just unlucky.)

Last edited:
I notice the D5 on the left looks a bit bend out of shape.

Yeah, I honestly didn't notice before. But it's pretty stark when I see how it should look.

It's also depressed into the housing, no wonder right?

Back