• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Name that screen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

trents

I've researched this and some people call it the "splash" screen and others refer to it as the "lock" screen. The one that pops up after the post stuff but before you get to the log on screen. In Windows 10 it often has a picture of a sea arch. And what's it for anyway? Is there a way to disable it and go right to the log on screen?

What Kenrou posted above is the "splash" screen.
After this you are met with the "Lock" screen (the arch of which you spoke).
This I found regarding turning the lock screen off.
Not much, but hope it helps.

Isn't the lock and login screen the same thing ? This one never shows up on mine because I dont password lock my computer (wife uses it on occasion). Even on Windows install I never put a password, so it goes from "splash" directly to GUI.

If you used that link above you'd see that the lock and log-in screens are not the same.
In all actuality, I see no reason for the lock screen whatever other than it is more attractive than the log-in :shrug:

Was on my phone when i posted my reply and the link didn't open properly, couldn't read half of it. Still don't remember ever having it on my Win10 install (or any other Windows for that matter) :confused:

All it is, is an extra screen to click/swipe through........

Exactly! Pretty, but unnecessary. I'm just wondering whose idea at Microsoft that one was. If they would pay as much attention to fixing broken things in Windows as they do the window dressing (excuse the play on words) I think most people would be more satisfied with their user experience.

How to change Windows 8 Sign Out / Lock screen

When Windows 8.1 came out. I liked the new Sign Out / Lock screen it had.
But for various reasons, laptops in the family could not be updated from Windows 8.0 so for fun, I figured out how to make Windows 8.0 have the Windows 8.1 Sign Out / Lock screen.

Not sure if I shared this on the forum, but here it is for anyone who cares:

Although it appears that this can be modified through PC Settings > Personalize, the actual Windows 8 Seattle Space Needle screen will *not* change, even after modifying the Lock screen settings.

Go to folder C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows

Right click on SystemData > Properties > Security TAB > Advanced > Change [in blue]
Under Enter the Object name to select, enter Administrator or your user name > Check Names button > OK
CHECK: Replace owner on subcontainers and objects > Apply > OK > Yes > OK > OK > OK

Now go to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\SystemData\S-1-5-18\ReadOnly\LockScreen_Z

You will see 2 images of the Seattle Space needle in this folder. To view these 2 images:

Right click on *EACH* of them > Properties > Security TAB > Edit... > Add
Enter Administrator or your user name > Check Names button > OK > OK > OK

Replace these 2 images with whatever images you want, but make sure they have the same names and resolution as original files LockScreen___1920_1080.jpg and LockScreen___1920_1080_notdimmed.jpg

[Photoshop > Image > Adjustments > Brightness/Contrast... > Reduce Brightness to -30 to get the 'dimmed' effect.]

IMPORTANT: Right click on *EACH* of the new images > Properties > Security TAB > Edit... > Add
Enter SYSTEM > Check Names button > OK >
Read & execute and Read should be CHECKED for SYSTEM > OK > OK

Attachments

• Log off - Sign Out Lock screen.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
Back