• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gskill Ripjaw X 1600 to 1866

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dpg3456

Hello all,

First off, my build:
AMD 9590
GTX 980
Asus Crosshair V Formula Z
G.Skill Ripjaw X 1600 mhz
Seasonic X-1050 80Plus Gold
Samsung Evo 850 SSD
Corsair Hydro H105 Extreme

I currently have the LLC set to 75% and the CL set to 9-10-10-28 @ 1866 mhz. My question, based on my build can i overclock my ram any higher? Such as specific settings. I tried Cl 9-9-9-24 and had to reset the cmos.

Any information is helpful. Thanks for taking the time to read and help me out.

Edit: Spelling, Grammar

If you are looking for higher performance then raising CPU-NB clock will give you much more than memory clock.
I'm not sure if you can overclock this memory any higher as it depends from used IC. However based on the info that you provided I think you can try something like 2000/2133 9-11-10-28 or 10-11-10-28 or 10-11-11. All at 1.65V.

Thank you for the reply. I don't want to overclock the Cpu until the ambient temp lowers. I live in cali. Once winter hits, I'll try to oc.

I'll try the ram, which one of those combos would be the fastest?

lower = faster but check which one is working for you as it's not big performance difference

I'll try the ram, which one of those combos would be the fastest?
Faster does not equal better performance. Because you're on an AMD system, where your ram is at 1866 is probably better performance.

So trying to tighten timing at 1866 is my best bet for my ram now?

Problem with that, my cooler can't keep this thing under 60 c when oc to 5ghz. It can do it, but not right now. Is the Cpu limiting what I can oc the ram to?

CPU/NB frequency can be raised without overclocking your processor. There is a multiplier in your bios to adjust it. I know all about the 9590 lol. It will keep you nice and warm in the winter.

Attachments

• image_id_1262666.jpeg
    image_id_1262666.jpeg
    134.4 KB · Views: 1,848
Last edited:
I have the cpu/nb at 1.468 right now. What would you recommend me changing it to?

1.572 is for the oc though. I should still put it that high? Will the temp increase?

CPU/NB would be the NB frequency as shown in CPUz (see my pic). It is not a voltage, although it does have voltage control for it.
I'm not telling you to adjust any voltages, and you probably won't get near my OC anyways with your cooling solution. Ignore the overclock. We're concentrating on NB frequency only.

So I have it at cpu/nb 1.475
Cl 10-9-9-24
Prime95 keeps failing.

"fatal error. Round was .5, expected less than .4. Hardware failure detected.

So it started to have some problems after massing with the timing. I can barely get into bios, it kept crashing in bios. Now it won't load into Windows. Any thought?

Update: tried setting bios to auto, but keeps crashing. I tried doing a system recovery through Windows but it keeps hanging, when I move mouse it continues. However, now I can't boot into Windows at all. I'm beginning to think I killed a ram stick. Any help is appreciated.

Also the q-code keeps switching to code: AA which means normal loading. But I'm starting to get 66.

Clear the CMOS.
OS is probably corrupted now.
It happens. Messing with the timings, you'll probably do this more than once.

Even after clearing cmos a bunch of time, it still crashes in bios. Possible I fried my ram?

Okay. So I powered off the machine and removed cmos battery. I will flash the bios, reinstall Windows and see what happens.

Back