• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help overclocking AMD Phenom ii x4 965

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

johanispro3

Hello, this is my first thread on this forum

Yesterday I did my first attempt at overclocking, I have a 3.4Ghz amd phenom ii x4 965 processor cooled by a h80i (the older version).
So I tried to overclock a slight bit: to 3.6Ghz, with stock voltage of 1.36V. I stably undervolted the processor to 1.3125V @ 3.4Ghz before so I imagined having the stock voltage would give me enough room to go up to 3.6
But it gave me a lot of trouble, I would blue-screen in less than a minute running prime95. I tried tweaking with the other settings, I set the NB to 2.4Ghz and increased the voltage of the NB 1.250, but with that it wouldn't even boot
For some reason increasing the NB voltage results in a boot failure, only when I started upping the HT link I could boot with 1.250V on the NB. Which I find very strange.
Anyway, pretty much everything I tried results in a BSoD. The errors I get are 0x7E, 0x0A, 0x3B, 0x7F, 0x1A, 0x1E, they seem to change constantly.
Increasing the VCore didn't do anything, I went as far as 1.475V without improvement.
The only thing that seemed to help was increasing the RAM speed, I set the speed at 1600Mhz (highest possible) and the voltage to 1.65, it still gave a blue screen, but it took quite a bit longer, taking almost a minute before BSoD.
Changing ram timings anymore than +1 or -1 from default stops the pc from booting all together.

The best results I got was a minute of prime95 before BSoD with: 3.6Ghz (200x18), 1.4 VCore, 2.6Ghz NB, 1.250 NB voltage, 2000Mhz HT Link and ram at 1600Mhz with 1.65V (with timings on auto), temps never exceeded 52 degrees

Is my chip dead or am I doing something wrong?

Specs:
AMD Phenom ii x4 965 3.4Ghz
H80i watercooler
Kingston 8Gb ram (2x4)
asrock 960gm/u3s3
MSI r9 270 OC edition
Corsair force LS 60Gb ssd
2 HDD's
Seasonic 650W non-modular power supply

None of the Bsod you get are linked to vcore.

52c with a [email protected]/1.4v seems damn high...

Have you tried running @stock clock?

You say "before". Maybe something went wrong since? Like the Ram...

Your asrock 960 gm motherboard has a weak power phase component and is not up to overclocking a quad core phenom II. You are probably at the max TDP of the motherboard even at stock speeds and voltages.

Back