• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Windows 7 doesn't see my storage drive

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Was the disk using GPT/GUID partitioning scheme when you had it in Windows 10?

Yup. Good catch. :) Right now I'm installing updates with WSUS offline, since W7 Update is broken. Once all that is current I'll unplug everything but the C:\ drive and go from there. I'll swap SATA ports around and see what happens when it has to do a double take and figure out what's what. Good time to run the lighting in my case, too.

Should Device Manager see my SSD and HDD as SCSI drives? Windows Explorer still seems to be the only thing that doesn't see the drive. Can't get it to see my TV tuner, either. Every time I run system file checker it says it found corrupt files and successfully repaired them. I'm skeptical, since things are obviously still broken.

The WD drive shows up under devices and printers as a SCSI drive, but won't show up in the Computer window.

Last edited:
It's listed as online. Both my SSD (boot drive) and the HDD are listed in Devices and Printers as SCSI drives. The SSD shows up in Explorer as Local Disk C:

The drive is visible to Acronis, as well now. Since I had this problem initially with my previous W 10 install, I'm starting to think the BIOS is where my answers are.

Get another drive big enough to hold the data and copy the data from the WD in question and then clean it with diskpart in command prompt to wipe out the GPT metadata. Then install the WD back into the system and copy the data back to it.

Everything in the BIOS seems correct. Until I can get fully updated I'm out of ideas.

edit: Updated and fully functional W7 now. I'm getting backup Bios failure notices at boot now. I'll deal with that after some sleep.

Last edited:
Have you thought of trying easyBCD, might be able to fix the boot. The drive is supposed to be bootable right?. Probably messed up the boot by installing 7 after Win10

My boot drive is fine. Fresh format, W7 install. It's my storage drive that's invisible-sort of. It shows up everywhere but the Computer tab. And I can't get in to it. I'll try the BIOS after some serious Zs. :)

Still no luck. New, updated, BIOS and fully updated W7 install. Both drives listed under Devices and Printers as SCSi, one of them in Explorer as C:\, both in Device Manager and Disk Management as SCSi. And the ODD is the only SATA drive listed in the BIOS, but the SSD (boot drive) is listed in the boot menu. I'm confoosed! Oh, and Acronis shows it but doesn't offer it as a backup location. I can add it in Acronis, but it wants to wipe it first.

edit: I'm going to pull my HDD and haul it across town today. I'll copy it to another HDD and format it there. If that fixes the problem on my rig I'll make an image file of my OS and reformat the SSD. I still don't have a clue as to the TV tuner's issue but one thing at a time.

Last edited:
What's so sad is that even after all of this headache, it's still worth it to not be dealing with Widnows 10.

I didn't get to my issues today. Fresh install of W7 on my daughter's rig. Tomorrow I'm going back and she can learn to fix Windows Update. :rofl: It's always something. And, yeah, it is worth it to avoid W 10. If it weren't for Media Center I'd be tempted to just bite the bullet. I still don't know why Windows thinks 2 out of 3 SATA drives are SCSi. The ODD is the only one it gets right.

Funny how in europe one can get satellite tv on your smartphone, but here in the US, tv tuners for a desktop pc are a hit and miss. I had one a few years back but it used the older pci slots.

Funny how in europe one can get satellite tv on your smartphone, but here in the US, tv tuners for a desktop pc are a hit and miss. I had one a few years back but it used the older pci slots.

With DirecTV and Dish Network, you can do that in the US too. Even Charter Communications does it.

What I meant was europe has had this ability for years whereas the US is pretty much just now pushing it on consumers. The land of the free is more like pay to play. I tried TWC's (Spectrum now) free ap and it did
absolutely NOTHING. Too many aps rely on the "playstore" which is retarded imo.

If I lived alone I would only pay for internet and basic cell service, no BS TV infinite reruns at all.

Tried plugging the HDD in to another fresh install of W7 on an AMD rig. Windows showed it in Device Mgr. and Devices and Printers, but not Disk Mgr. or Explorer, so I still couldn't get in to it, or even make an image file of it. :bang head The other rig has a copy of my old W7 install on it with most of the stuff I wanted, so I made image files of those folders, but I still want to get in to my HDD. Does anyone know why W7 would identify my SSD and HDD as SCSi drives? My boot menu shows the SSD as an option but the SATA devices only shows the ODD. And neither W7 Media Center can see the TV tuner cards. I wonder if one of the updates has some DRM crap that keeps it from workng with TV cards. Media Center has a Live TV setup option, but can't see the card. I can't even get the drivers to install on my rig. It seems M$ is crippling W7 continually to make it useless.

You said something about bad BIOS right? That seems like a good place to look. If anything else you could try taking the drive to a shop and seeing if they have a program that can get the data off the drive.

Back