• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

I7-6700 (current model) VS. I7 930 (2010 year model)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Lateralus180

Registered
I built a sweet gaming machine back in 2010. It was nearly top of the line mid-2010, and I overclocked the processor shortly after building it. The processor I went with at the time was the Intel i7 930 (Bloomfield) which was a quad core @ 2.8 ghz. I overclocked it to 4.0 ghz and added a corsair H50 first gen closed loop mini water cooling unit. So far, 6 years later it is still kicking and running strong. Nothing funky happening with the CPU, water cooler has not been leaking, etc. This PC stays on all the time but I don't game with it any more. It's used for standard work and youtube videos, a lot of web browsing. It has proven to be very reliable. I am happy with the I7's.

I was poking around Newegg tonight to see what parts are available should I decide to build a new rig this year. I noticed the latest i7 processor is still only quad core at 4.0 ghz. How does this processor compare to the one I purchased and overclocked 6 years ago? I would assume if its base clock is 4.0 ghz then it can be overclocked to something much higher? The i7 930 I have now was overclocked a significant amount over stock .. 2.8 to 4.0. Are the latest gen processors overclocking by a lesser amount like 4.0 to 4.2 or 4.5?

Is it even worth upgrading or should I just replace my video card and up the RAM?

Also I would like to note that my motherboard is an Asus P6TD Deluxe mother board, 2010 version. It has handled the overclock very well, I would buy another Asus motherboard for sure.

Asus P6TD Deluxe mother board
i7 930 @ 4.0ghz
GSKILL 6GB RAM @ 1600hz
Corsair 128GB first gen SSD
ATI HD5870 1GB video card
ThermalTake 850W PSU

Remembering that clock speed doesn't always equal performance increase, in this case it's both clock speed and IPC (Instructions per clock). Quite frankly the 6700 mops the floor with the i7 930. Even if the 930 was OC'd to 4.5ghz the 6700 at stock will still win in general. We're quite a far long ways in terms of IPC performance now.

Noting you'd need DDR4 RAM to boot with a new system too. The 6700k model comes 4.0 base and 4.2ghz OC. Most people don't really need higher than this but generally I believe some run 4.5-4.7ghz as average.

It really depends on what you're doing. It could still be viable to change, given the technology has come a while on now, but if yours works for you now just fine and you don't need the extra grunt no need really?

I guess I'm just looking at cores and clock speed. What else is better, besides being built on architecture that supports better video cards and more RAM?

- - - Updated - - -

I like to have the best and push the limits :clap:

NVME Drive support (NVME = PCIE based SSDs)
I guess better integrated graphics if on the mainstream platform
DDR4 = higher memory speeds (though performance wise not a huge gain for general use?)
Generally newer chipsets all have Intel gigabit ethernet so that's a plus. And also reasonable onboard audio which is enough for the general user.

The X58 platform was considered high end enthusiast. The LGA 1151 platform out now is the mainstream platform technically, so X99 (LGA 2011v3) is your best bet for 'the best'. X99 has 6 core variants and higher where the 1151 platform is limited to 4 cores (8t)

EDIT:

I suppose I should mention the 'mainstream' platform also has much better efficiency. Power draw is quite low.

Further Edit: http://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/47?vs=1543 please review this link to get an idea of an i7 920 vs 6700k (not quite your 930 but you get the idea) noting the 920 would have been at stock clocks.

Last edited:
What about 6700k vs something like the Xeon x5687 (apples to apples) or the Xeon w3690?

The above mentioned Xeons might be something worth looking into if you wanted to upgrade, especially since they aren't that expensive on ebay. I hear they overclock like a beast too. Should be supported on your board i would imagine.

In terms of "whats better?" yeah the skylakes beat the 1366 i7s no sweat. In terms of "is the performance gain so extreme that its a must have upgrade and will it make gaming and everything better, all else equals?" Im not so sure. The updated chipset features are the bigger selling point in my opinion, but that only matters if they are things you want utilize.

According Aida64, those 6700s pretty much mop the floor with my x5690 in just about everything..

Those new gen computers sip power, as compared to these old school coal chewing, tree hating, ozone depleting beasts.

They practically pay for themselves if you have expensive power :thup:

According Aida64, those 6700s pretty much mop the floor with my x5690 in just about everything..

Those new gen computers sip power, as compared to these old school coal chewing, tree hating, ozone depleting beasts.

They practically pay for themselves if you have expensive power :thup:

yes im not sure how much a power bill is a factor in OP's decision.

However, a fast Dodge Charger from the 60s is still fast. Even if a new Corvette would smoke it :)

1970 Dodge Challenger SE 426ci/425hp 4spd Quater mile 13.100 Car Craft
2016 Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat Quater mile 11.700 R&T

1.4 seconds faster Quater mile from 1970 Chrysler Hemi to 2016 Chrysler Hemi.:)

1.4 seconds faster Quater mile from 1970 Chrysler Hemi to 2016 Chrysler Hemi.:)

Thats alot of years that has passed for only 1.4 seconds :D

Thats alot of years that has passed for only 1.4 seconds :D

The horse power increased a lot with superchargers also turbos, However there is a lot of bloatware:D, the cars nowadays are much heaver with all the features and electronics.

yes im not sure how much a power bill is a factor in OP's decision.

However, a fast Dodge Charger from the 60s is still fast. Even if a new Corvette would smoke it :)

Did you see how the new Tesla smokes any Corvette ever made in 0-60?

http://www.roadandtrack.com/new-car...30515/tesla-model-s-p100d-acceleration-range/

- - - Updated - - -

1.4 seconds faster Quarter mile from 1970 Chrysler Hemi to 2016 Chrysler Hemi.:)

And they get twice the gas mileage today doing it!

Back