• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Ath-ad500x vs ath-a500x

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

I'm planning to buy my first more than 20$ headphones :)
My current choice is Audio Technica ath-a500x(150$ in my country) comfort is the most important factor for me and those sound comfy!

I usually listen to low volumes (50-60db if the sound meter app on Android is accurate) I find the volume that my friends listen to to be uncomfortable. I guess I have sensitive ears!

40db is low for me. 55-60 is normal and 70 is loud and 75+ is kind of uncomfortable for me. So I don't think amp would be necessary or if open headphones will annoy others

But I've a few questions
First:
are there any headphones similar to the AT that has a deattachble cord? im worried I'm gonna destroy the plug someday and the cord is really long! It would be good if it had a smaller one like m50x but afaik they're bass heavy and I don't like too much bass(if I'm currently bass is the BOOMs right? I'm a noob in Audio)

Second:
These are my playlists, are these headphones worth/good for them?

These are not all I listen to but a good example.

Third:
Is Spotify's high/medium enough for these headphones? Because I usually use Spotify/google play, etc. I do have a few flacs however.

Fourth:
should I buy the closed ones? Do they really matter? Because I can just close my door and listen to opens but Closed headphones would be nice. I always have a Sennheiser cx 1.00 in my pocket and they're excellent at noise isolation so I have that if anything happens or if I'm outside.

Sorry for asking but I'm a noob in Audio and I find the guides etc confusing. Most of them say things like V-shaped sound and I couldn't figure out what they means!

Last edited:
I posted some information, including an informal review I did on another site, in this thread:

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/showthread.php/775606-Closed-cans-plus-IEM-recommendations

A few of the headphones I reviewed are near your budget.

Thanks for your reply,
but I still have a question, For my taste of music, is spending that much money (80$) even worth it? because if not I could go for something like Sennheiser HD 201 or anything from the 50$ range! I do have a g230 from Logitech by they're uncomfortable and they're so bass that they usually give me a headache!

my music is not so crowded, I usually listen to quite and calm music So I'm not sure if it's really worth it! I'm nothing of an audiophile, yet I would love some comfort and a good sound quality (yet not hi-fi)

Better is better, and there's no shortcuts around quality with regards to audio equipment. You have to decide how good you want the playback quality to be, then spend accordingly.

Better is better, and there's no shortcuts around quality with regards to audio equipment. You have to decide how good you want the playback quality to be, then spend accordingly.

It's funny, m40x and ad500x and dt 770 pro (80ohm) are all the same prices in my country while they're much diffrent in amazon (dt 770 is much more expensive in amazon)

So I guess I'm going with dt 770 mostly for comfort, but isn't being closed a problem? otherwise I could go with ad500x! they're open and reviews say they're comfortable! I do hear them for a long time!

You won't notice much difference in open versus closed, not at this price point IMO. The DT770 are excellent headphones and that's a good price for them.

The one thing open headphones do that's annoying is bleed sound. If you use a mic at all or have people nearby in another room you would want closed anyway.

Actually I changed my mind. Although they cost the same, I'm going to buy Sennheiser HD 518! The DT 770 have too much bass. And I'm not a fan of bass(not that I don't want it at all. Just not too much) I also have very sensitive ears and listen to music at low volumes and HD518 sounds better for me. For my style of music too. I'm worried that 770 is going to give me a headache or annoy me

I think you could do no wrong with any of the listed you have there including the HD 518.

I have a friend who owns the HD 518 and they're quite comfy. The ATH-AD500X and such will be similar I think as well.

Open = good for home use in a quiet room. Even with a mic it hasn't bothered others for me personally using open headphones. They're also generally a little 'clearer' than the closed counterparts.
Closed = good for isolation, generally found to provide a 'stronger' bass response. At least what I've found. But I also like the open air design as it gives you a little bit of ventilation for your ears.

I think you could do no wrong with any of the listed you have there including the HD 518.

I have a friend who owns the HD 518 and they're quite comfy. The ATH-AD500X and such will be similar I think as well.

Open = good for home use in a quiet room. Even with a mic it hasn't bothered others for me personally using open headphones. They're also generally a little 'clearer' than the closed counterparts.
Closed = good for isolation, generally found to provide a 'stronger' bass response. At least what I've found. But I also like the open air design as it gives you a little bit of ventilation for your ears.

yeah, most of the music I listen to doesn't even have anything in the bass area :D HD 518 sounds like a safer option to me.

Too sad I couldn't find philips shp 9500. it looked like it had best of everything. two giant pillow like earcups that will feel like you're wearing a cloud(I've tried shp 9000, my brother had one) and the frequency response sounded good.

Back