• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Would it be beneficial to use a 4k HDR TV if none of my content is 4k or HDR?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Stealth3si

If do not watch 4k hdr content, is it still worth buying a 4k hdr display or should I just stick with what I have?

Last edited:
i plan on waiting till 4k content is the norm like 1080 is now, by then 4k tv's will be cheap and more feature packed than 4k tv's are today.

And now from the other side of the coin:

I've used a 4K TV as a monitor since the Seiki 50" 4K was released. I have been very pleased with the increase in screen real estate. One thing to keep in mind is that while even the intel iris 6100 integrated graphics will push a 4K display (I'm typing this on my work machine with a Core i3-4160 using a Samsung 4K display via Display Port) for gaming performance you will need some hefty power to get "great" framerates. (I use a pair of pascal-based Titan X cards at home)

From a productivity standpoint, I can open excel and see 54 columns and 93 rows which allows me to work with complex spreadsheets and see "the whole picture". Or, I can have email open in a 1080 window, powershell window in 1080, Explorer in a 1080 window, and a browser in 1080 simultaneously. Can't find anything to complain about with that at all.

For me, it was worth the upgrade and I never looked back. You have to determine if it's beneficial to you though...

ooooh for a PC monitor, i was thinking for television. lol 4k is a great idea for that 4k monitors are on the down trend on pricing would buy one if i hadnt recently purchased a 2560x1080 monitor.

Just a quick google brought me here: http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/hdr-tv-high-dynamic-television-explained

Hopefully that helps while you wait for other experiences. :)
Thanks I did read the article. The answer is no, until most of my content is in 4k/HDR.

i plan on waiting till 4k content is the norm like 1080 is now, by then 4k tv's will be cheap and more feature packed than 4k tv's are today.
4k will be cheap but not with more features.

Why wouldn't the TV have more features in a couple of years? This is how product life cycle works... :)

high-end expensive TVs will have more features for sure. The cheap ones do not have the extra bells and whistles.

Back