• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Noob Question: How to choose CPU Cooler?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Thanks for your replies!

Would there be any issue with me posting the CPU coolers I'm trying to decide to buy?

Please do.

When linking use the little earth icon with the somewhat horizontal 8 in the lower right corner and write the name first, highlight then add the URL making it easier.

You should also definitely update your signature and put your entire parts list/spec to make things easier... Especially your case given cases can restrict types of coolers used.

is your concern about it interfering with your memory slots if mounted horizontally? if so look at this thread and scroll down. I know your mobo is different than mine...but still could be helpful

http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ith-motherboard-choice-for-new-build-(gaming)

Right! I'm worried the CPU cooler won't fit because of my RAM sticks, which are next to my current stock Intel CPU cooler fan...

I'm mainly wanting something that'll DEFINITELY fit in my case and be able to take it with me when I upgrade to a new Intel socket.

This one looks good too: http://www.thermaltake.com/products-model.aspx?id=C_00001826

Added later: If anyone can give me an estimate on how much my CPU temps will drop from my current stock Intel fan I'd be very grateful!

I'm not asking about the internals of your case, I'm asking what case model you have. Based on what you're stating so far, you have some type of OEM or generic build with some type of general case.

Though none of my business, what exactly would you have to lose by taking a picture of your components...? :\.

Some of the coolers you're looking at don't even exist on the market anymore...

No one can tell you what CPU temps will be like given, 1, we don't know your current temps under load, and 2, we don't know your ambient temperature and 3, it doesn't matter anyway as different chips will perform differently, and case ventilation, fans, fan placements, speeds, etc will all vary this temperature...

You're going to have to give up the idea of looking for 'LGA 775' only coolers first off, the orb from thermaltake is ancient.

For someone worried about things fitting, you just selected a very large cooler that will likely overhang your RAM slots/potentially interfere depending... (Frio Extreme)

Well, these are the CPU coolers that are available to me. I'm buying them from a friend and he definitely has these CPU coolers to sell me.

Noctua NH-U12P SE2 is a good cooler, but you need to make sure it fits your case..

Sorry where are you located? Surely you're not limited to those options...?

Thanks, but I bought the case second hand so it didn't come with a receipt.

#1 & 4 are incompatable with those sockets so it would be between 2 & 3 and #2 will win everytime. So if you had to chose one of those four it should be the Thermaltake Frio Extreme.

Edit: Verify that you can fit a 160mm cooler first though. We can't tell you unless you can give us a model number. At least measure it yourself if you have no idea what model it is. You should measure from the top of the CPU to the inside of you case side door.

EDIT EDIT: Of those 4 it MUST be #2 as #3 is not listed as compatable with 2011-3

Thank you for your reply!

I'm still trying to find the model of my PC case...

You've been provided your answer based on the information given and your limited choice available. Without any further information we cannot assist.

My biggest concern right now is choosing the CPU cooler and then opening it and finding that it doesn't fit on my motherboard...:( What's the easiest way for me to make sure the CPU cooler I buy will definitely fit?

As I mentioned in post #35, the Thermaltake Frio Extreme will fit all those sockets you listed. You can verify that by Googling the compatability. Whether the cooler will fitake in your case is a different story. You need to either let us know what case you have or measure the distance from the top of the CPU touch the inside of the side cover.

Edit: your link shows the compatability. You should also check your ram height. You may need low profile ram for this heat sink.

Back