• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a tower server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Since you could allocate more cores to each VM then I would say yes it is worth it.

it also depends on how they are loading the cpu. i run an i3 for mine it never really goes above 25% running 4vm's, two of the vm's have 2 cores and two have 4 cores assigned they can all share cores technically i could give all 4 4 cores but two dont need it it will give the power where it is needed, and you can also give some vm's priority over others i think in most hypervisors.

it also depends on how they are loading the cpu. i run an i3 for mine it never really goes above 25% running 4vm's, two of the vm's have 2 cores and two have 4 cores assigned they can all share cores technically i could give all 4 4 cores but two dont need it it will give the power where it is needed, and you can also give some vm's priority over others i think in most hypervisors.

You can do memory weight with windows hyper-v, but processing power is controlled as you describe which is why the virtual cores exist (it's the cpu management function). There could be more to it but the majority of control and gains are found through simple virtual core management.

Then there's virtual network allocation and priority, which is a whole 'nother ball of wax. None of the clients we manage require this level of granuality, so it's purely academic for me.

Since you could allocate more cores to each VM then I would say yes it is worth it.

my only other concern was the other tasks that may use only one or two cores and the core power so to speak.. you know older cpu architecture vs slightly newer.. don't know if i'll get to it this weekend but i'm probably going to swap everything over to the dual cpu server.

right now the 1220 v2 is basically an i5..to get a cpu for the t110-ii with hyperthreading i'd pretty much be spending almost what i paid for the server..since i had drives i went for something without them..it came with some random 500gb drive the cpu and 16gb ram..turn key for iirc $250.

probably never mentioned it but i'm using vmware workstation..

my only other concern was the other tasks that may use only one or two cores and the core power so to speak.. you know older cpu architecture vs slightly newer.. don't know if i'll get to it this weekend but i'm probably going to swap everything over to the dual cpu server.

right now the 1220 v2 is basically an i5..to get a cpu for the t110-ii with hyperthreading i'd pretty much be spending almost what i paid for the server..since i had drives i went for something without them..it came with some random 500gb drive the cpu and 16gb ram..turn key for iirc $250.

probably never mentioned it but i'm using vmware workstation..

i was just pointing out that you can dole out more cores than you have eg you could run 100vm's 4 cores each with a 4 core cpu.... technically.

i was just pointing out that you can dole out more cores than you have eg you could run 100vm's 4 cores each with a 4 core cpu.... technically.

i always stuck within the number i had on the host cpu.. most of the time i stick to 2 or 3 cores a VM.. i play around with it and see what the sweet spot is..i usually throw 4 gigs at each one for ram so the larger overall capacity of the t410 will be nice..

ok to add to this can anyone recommend a pci-e sata card..not looking for a raid card but if it's one that does just a bunch of sata cables hooked to it then why not..

you're looking for an HBA. super common ones are the ibm m1015 (and other lsi-based hba cards). using one of those with the IT firmware and some SATA SFF-8087 adapters will allow you to have I believe 8 (with two of the cable splitters) drives connected to a single card in a JBOD configuration that you can pass through/use in your OS.

cool thanks

this card will accept large drives right..most of my drives are 3tb and 4tb and in the beginning of the new year i'm looking to consolidate the 4 drives onto a couple of 6tb drives.

ok well slight change in hardware. i kinda bought a Intel S2600CP2J Motherboard with Dual 2011 Socket 2 x E5-2670..

now the big question is do i water cool it or air cool it.. if i water cool it i need waterblocks, a radiator and some tubing. air cooling would probably be a couple of those noctua air coolers, which ever ones will fit.

big question for a server would anyone recommend water cooling it. d5 pumps have a 5yr MTBF..fans are fans so with that said.. i was just thinking of water cooling since it's 2 cpu's and i could spin the fan slower with enough radiator..

- - - Updated - - -

You will have to verify. I have one with 6x4TB drives and it works perfectly. I haven't tested any larger drives.

https://www.servethehome.com/ibm-m1015-part-1-started-lsi-92208i/

i'll be looking into that but with my recent purchase(see above) and it's ample sata ports i might not need it.

Back