• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

looking for a tower server

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

95blackz26

ok i currently have a dell poweredge t110 ii and i'm looking for something with the ability to put more drives in it. maybe something with 6 or 8 drive capacity.

not entirely against a rack mounted one if it will be quiet (yeah i know rack mounted and quiet don't go together) since it will be in the same room i sleep in. looking for something that's kinda easy on power..

Maybe cheaper would be to change drives and double their capacity ? Just giving ideas as most smaller servers have only 4 bays. I sold one server with 6 bays couple of months ago but I don't remember what was it. Small racks have almost only 2 or 4 bays and are louder.

Last edited:
could you possible move the guts to a case with more bays? or build something yourself might save some money.

could you possible move the guts to a case with more bays? or build something yourself might save some money.

that was a thought but it's layed out in the an exact mirror of ATX and these dell's have a bunch of added crap on the power buttons. it's not BTX. instead of opening the left side of the case to add cards and stuff you open the right side.

Last edited:
that was a thought but it's layed out in the an exact mirror of ATX and these dell's have a bunch of added crap on the power buttons. it's not BTX. instead of opening the left side of the case to add cards and stuff you open the right side.

ooh interesting, so new case and mobo could get ya going pretty cheap vs a whole new machine :)

ooh interesting, so new case and mobo could get ya going pretty cheap vs a whole new machine :)

depends on the cost of the board. if it's a regular sized board i have cases i could use. looking for something i could also put a bunch of memory in too. with that in mind i have the following cpu's that support large amounts on memory
a pair of socket 1366 cpu's L5640----a single x5670 could grab another if needed to make a pair.
one socket 2011 cpu e5 2670 this one. http://www.cpu-world.com/CPUs/Xeon/Intel-Xeon E5-2670.html it's the first version of this socket.

Should be easy to find a standard motherboard to go with that CPU and RAM, is it ECC?

ok sticking with the idea of running the socket 1155 stuff and looking around at coolers..

on the cheap side there's the stock intel cooler and on the high side i'm leaning towards a Noctua NH-D15S..since the cpu will be running at stock clocks and with the 140mm fan on the noctua it should spin pretty slow..been a hot minute since i've had a stock cpu cooler so how's that on noise for a stock clocked chip.

Depends on what kind of load you're giving it... idle, quiet; 100%, loud.

i wouldn't say the current one see's a ton of load. right now it's mainly a file server with some occasion VM use and even that probably isn't loading the cpu a ton either.. mostly store video files (from tv shows) and watch them on another pc or a blu-ray player that actually has a media server option.

i'm going to try the stock intel fan and see how that goes. worst case i threw $7 away. haven't bought a board yet but i am going to try one of the boards i already have.. gonna throw the gigabyte G1.Sniper 3 in the ring and see if i can find drivers for the server OS

Drivers should be the same as the consumer OS version that matches.

Depends on what OS you will be running? If you are planning on windows server 2016 that is equivalent to windows 10. If 2012r2 that's equal to 8.1.

Most of the time the drivers will carry over, but not guaranteed.

sticking with 2012r2 since that's what i have a license for. years ago it worked out for the most part when i ran server 08r2 using some windows 7 drivers.

i only really need the basics. nic,chipset and video..

ok i've been pondering this since the beginning and long before i made this post.. given the equipment i already have (at the moment i'm not afraid to get different stuff) which would provide more overall power..
the poweredge t410 with 2 L5640's 2.26GHz 6 cores each
the poweredge t110-ii with the e3 1220v2 4 cores

let's say for the test both rigs would have the same 32gb of ram (while the t410 has the ability to go with more ram) i do plan to run multiple VM's so extra ram and cpu power would be ideal..

what i'm getting at is would it beneficial to switch to the t410 for the added cores albeit older cpu architecture.

Back