• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New upgrades, any suggestions?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dub-Sidious

Hi all, Today i got some upgrades for my build
i got:

i7-6700 Skylake
G1 Gaming Z170 Pro Gaming mobo
8gb ddr4 vengeance lpx

So now my build consists of

i7-6700 Skylake
G1 Gaming Z170 Pro Gaming mobo
G1 Gaming Nvidia GTX 1070
G1 Gaming Nvidia GTX 960
8gb ddr4 vengeance lpx
OC'ers 120gb SSD
1000gb HDD
Corsair H45 Liquid cooling
Corsair CX750M psu
3 extra fans in the Aero cool Strike-X case

I was previous not to try overclocking as my old motherboard (M5A78l-M usb3) had no vrm cooling (i had no idea what this was)

Just wondering does anyone have any tips or advice?
I shall be putting more memory and another ssd in shortly most likely. Did have 16gb of vengeance ddr3 but was told it wouldnt work in my new board.
I have only installed all the drivers/utilities from the motherboard disk, and done needed updates. Did a benchmark on unigene on extreme, full screen dx11 and got a score of 2347, whereas old processor motherboard and 16gb memory got me 2251.

Just looking for anything im overlooking, any utilities i may have missed which could be helpful.
still pretty new to tuning my setup ect, so any advice/criticism is welcome :)

Thanks
Darren

Did you get a 6700 or a 6700k. Your ability to overclock will be drastically different depending on which one you bought.

If you are planning to overclock I would download something like hwinfo to monitor your temps and prime95 to stress the cpu(you might want to check the version you download as some of the newer chips do not like the current version of prime 95, I don't know if skylake suffers from this or not), heaven is not a good test for the gpu as it tends to be gpu bound.

Looking at your setup that sip cooler is going to limit your overclock, and can I ask what you are running mismatched gpu's for.

Another good testing utility is aida 64 it will give you a stress test and system monitor all in one.

I would also suggest you get familiar with the bios on that board and do your overclocking there instead of through a Windows application.

Did you get a 6700 or a 6700k. Your ability to overclock will be drastically different depending on which one you bought.

If you are planning to overclock I would download something like hwinfo to monitor your temps and prime95 to stress the cpu(you might want to check the version you download as some of the newer chips do not like the current version of prime 95, I don't know if skylake suffers from this or not), heaven is not a good test for the gpu as it tends to be gpu bound.

Looking at your setup that sip cooler is going to limit your overclock, and can I ask what you are running mismatched gpu's for.

Another good testing utility is aida 64 it will give you a stress test and system monitor all in one.

I would also suggest you get familiar with the bios on that board and do your overclocking there instead of through a Windows application.

i got a 6700, the price was right at the time. Im terrible, if i see a bargain i cant help it lol.
I will get hwinfo and prime96. Also i'll have a look make sure i wont have any issues :)

Dont think i heard of iida 64, shall certainly have a look.
Also i originally had the gtx 960 in my build, but a few weeks ago i upgraded to the 1070. After getting my new mobo yesterday i noticed i could fit the second gpu in.
I tried running the 960 as a dedicated pyhsX card but had lower fps on average, so i imagine its because there mismatched?

The Bios on this board looks so different to what im used to. and i have a mouse! lol

- - - Updated - - -

Did you purchase both G1 Gaming Nvidia GTX 1070, G1 Gaming Nvidia GTX 960?

Yes, i bought the 960 some time ago, and recently upgraded to the 1070. Had a spare lane and thought i'd try it. Thought i've noticed im getting lower fps on average. Imagine due to different cards.

Back