• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Win10 Refused to Let me Log On when Laptop is turned On? WTH?!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Viper69

I'm a Win7 person, but I have an ASUS ROG GL552VW laptop that came preinstalled with Windows10. It's been working fine until today.

I turned on the computer, and the Win10 screen appears where one enters in a PIN (perhaps called the SIGN-IN screen?), once entered, you are then brought to the computer's desktop.

Well now when I enter in the PIN, the little grey dots circle and the screen reads "The user name or password is incorrect"

I can log in if I use the password though.

I went into the computer via the password, changed the PIN (I assume it was accepted).

Turned off/on the computer.

Arrived at the SIGN-IN, typed in the NEW PIN, nothing worked. Tried the old PIN, that didn't work.

In both cases, characters do appear in the white field box.

I was still able to log in via the password.

What's going on, any ideas?

Also, I found the system restore off for the the C drive, and ASUS's partition (factory hard install settings are there)

If I turn on system restore do I:

1. Turn it on for both drives?

2. If so, what percent of space should I dedicate to each drive?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:
Partitioning the drive and having the OS on a relatively small partition, then frequently imaging/reimaging that smaller partition is the only way to use Windows for me. System restore doesn't really protect you against the inevitable rot / malware infestation / something going horribly wrong.

I would turn off all password requirements and log in requirements then if you need to, I would turn some of them back on then start from scratch as far as what the password entries are. If you are experiencing a legitimate Windows bug, then there's not much you can do...

Do you have Sync turned on for WinTen? If so, it maybe that it is inherently trying to sync it's settings with your Win7 image and there's a conflict. Just a thought....

System Restore is turned off by default in Windows 10. This has garnered a lot of criticism toward Microsoft because people aren't aware of this and go to use it only to find it hasn't been creating any restore points. You only need to activate it for the system partition, not the Asus restore partition.

The Asus restore partition would be used when you want to restore the system to the state it was in the day you bought it. You would lose any programs you added and any data you created. So if you need to resort to that, make sure you have backed up your data first.

If I were you, I would remove all the Asus bloatware. Most all of it duplicates functions that are built into Windows anyway.

have you considered booting a live image of Linux and pulling your important data -> reinstalling windows? I know that isnt the most favorable option but at this point you can pretty much count on something being wrong with the OS and a reinstall is likely in order

Edit: reread the OP and saw that you got in with the password. NM :)

If you created any MS accts and have logged in with them you are screwed as now MS will only accept those credentials. I'm not referring to a std windows login but more to a Live acct or whatever. System restore is absolutely worthless and so is windows backup imo. I did this once with my sisters laptop, I think I was trying the sync option or something, forgot the login, and she then tried to sell it to me lol. Neither of us could get it to boot.

If you created any MS accts and have logged in with them you are screwed as now MS will only accept those credentials. I'm not referring to a std windows login but more to a Live acct or whatever. System restore is absolutely worthless and so is windows backup imo. I did this once with my sisters laptop, I think I was trying the sync option or something, forgot the login, and she then tried to sell it to me lol. Neither of us could get it to boot.

Yes. If you switch from a local machine account to a Microsoft account (you can tell by the presence of an email address at the login Window) and lose track of your Microsoft account password you are up the creek. Because the password resides on a Microsoft server and not on your computer, none of the password recovery or deletion tools will do you any good. And Microsoft is very devious about this in that if you ever use your Microsoft password to make a purchase from the Microsoft store on that machine you will be switched from a local machine account to a Microsoft account unless you read the fine print warning and make sure you deny that change.

IMO, you are smart when you set up a machine to stay far away from setting it up to login with a Microsoft account. Set it up as a local machine and keep it that way.

Last edited:
...if you ever use your Microsoft password to make a purchase from the Microsoft store on that machine you will be switched from a local machine account to a Microsoft account unless you read the fine print warning and make sure you deny that change...

wut....?!
wow, thanks for sharing that, I just instinctively never associated any machine I had with third party anything... Now there's an actual reason.
So that's what their store is for then, I always wondered :D

trents, I am making a brand new installation of the latest Windows 10 Build.
I am revising my notes as I go along.
Is this 100% accurate:
...if you ever use your Microsoft password to make a purchase from the Microsoft store on that machine you will be switched from a local machine account to a Microsoft account unless you read the fine print warning and make sure you deny that change...

Is this 100% accurate:

I'm not sure of accuracy but I can add a similar experience. I logged in with my MS account and never found a way out if it. I reinstalled win7 after that then later got forced back to win10 through the "close box" fiasco.

Is this 100% accurate:

As I recall, when you go to use the Store of course will have to use you MS account email or setup one if you haven't done so already. You will be asked if you want to also make that your Windows login. I don't remember the details but it seems the box is already checked by default to do that.

I did a Windows 10 build for a customer and created a local account for the machine. She went to use the store and then was switched to a Microsoft account for her Windows login but lost track of the password. She was locked out and there was nothing to do but rebuild the machine since password recovery tools were useless. She had also neglected to provide account recovery contact information such as a secondary email address and phone numbers. But even if you have that stuff in place, Microsoft is not easy to deal with when it comes to account recovery time. They are hyper security conscious.

Here ya go, c6. Here's the sneaky screen you get when downloading an app from the MS store. Easy to miss the small print, isn't it? Especially when you are ignorant of the implications of not clicking on the hypertext.

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    27.9 KB · Views: 35
Last edited:
Back