• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Custom Watercool Loop for my Main PC

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
OK - here is a P-Q graph with:
- 2 x GPU blocks in parallel
- same situation as above (radiators, pump, CPU block in series)
- no tubing bends or angle adapter restrictions

Custom Loop PQ-GPU parallel.jpg

That's a lot better. However:
- D5 pump still won't make it with the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS radiators (sigh...looks cool)
- D5 pump will work for slim EK SE radiator (at 80%)
- D5 pump will work for thick EK PE radiator (at 65%)

- DDC pump will make it with the Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS radiators (at 85%)
- DDC pump will work for slim EK SE radiator (at 60%)
- DDC pump will work for thick EK PE radiator (at 45%)

So...parallel GPU is the way to go (duh - hehe).

With parallel GPU, the flow rate through each GPU block will only be 0.5 gpm with a 1 gpm loop flow...I guess I'll have to do more research on what flow rates are required for GPU blocks...

OK - extreme rigs has GPU block reviews (for 980) that show:

- the GPU block restriction numbers I used where conservative (EK 780 Ti)
- 0.5 gpm of coolant flow through a GPU is enough to cool the GPU at about 10 C-ish over coolant temperature (for EK GPU blocks)
- at 1.0 gpm (2.0 gpm of loop flow for parallel), the EK GPU block is about 8 C-ish over coolant temperature

Looks like 1 GPM is the "Sweet Spot" for a dual GPU loop connected in parallel.

I always run my loop at 1.0 GPM on full load. When not so much is going around, it fluctuates based on a curve I have setup with the water temp. Majority of the time its running around .6 GPM during its idle state.

Hrm - I like it, but the case I have picked out doesn't have external drive bays...

You can grab a standalone flow meter from them and connect it via USB to work with in the AQ software but you'd only have that kind of information while it can do much more. You could just go with a Aquaero 5 LT as it doesn't need a bay and have the flow meter connect to it that way but the 5 LT only has one PWM header.

Another option if you don't want to go through all of that is going with one of these from Koolance.

Hrm - thanks.

I like the first one...as it is flow meter and temperature sensor.

Yay - just ordered my Corsair Air 740 case...Newegg had stock!

Comes in Thursday.

:thup:

New case came in yesterday...it's really sweet - loving this thing. I'm hoping to move my current build to the new case over the next few days (storm preparation at home and work has my sidetracked).

The motherboard pocket area of the Corsair Air 740 is very spacious. Can definitely get 2 240 rads and 1 360 rads in there. From my initial measurements last night, it looks like 40 mm thick 240 mm rads will not be an issue for the top and bottom.

The AIO kit for my Titan X P is supposed to arrive today (but then, it was supposed to arrive Thursday, and Wednesday, and Tuesday)...sigh...

I'll post pics when I'm done moving my current system into the new case.

Why not run the 2 gpu blocks in parallel that will help with your restriction.

As for the thicker rads having lower resistance. That is normal, the thicker rad has a wider channel for water to flow through than the thinner rads hence less resistance.

As for parts selection you will not gain much by trying to change rads for lower resistance. You would probably do better by changing out the cpu block as this is most likely the most restrictive part. The otter option would be to run a second pump which you will probably end up needing if you expand your system further.

Just got everything installed in the Corsair Air 740 case.

Same hardware as was in my NZXT case, but everything is running 10 C cooler...amazing.

I'll post some pics later...but it was a challenge getting 3 AIO radiators in the front as the case is much shorter and not as tall as the NZXT case. I had to get creative with tubing routing...still not happy with it yet.

OK - here are some pictures:

AIR-740IMG_1270.JPG

AIR-740IMG_1271.JPG

AIR-740IMG_1272.JPG

At a screen shot of the Titan X P (with the AIO Hybrid Mod) while folding:

Air 740 Folding.jpg

Yay - this this is running super cool...and super quiet...I'm very happy with this new case!

Now...to plan for the custom water cool build in this case!

Very nice JR. Like the Red and black theme to the build and that's a nice case.

As for custom watercooling, I think you'll need to go external for that. Doesn't look good as far as internal room is concerned. By the angle present, it looks like your existing CPU AIO rad with the fan installed is just passed the GPU end or right on it. If you were going custom, you always should compensate for that into case buying. No worries though as you can always go external like a MORA setup with some QDCs.

There is a lot of room inside of the case.

All 3 of the front AIO coolers have fans in push/pull.

The bottom 2 rads for the GPUs are 25 mm thick rads (75 mm thick with 2 fans).

The top one for the CPU is a Corsair H80i v2 and is 49 mm thick (99 mm thick with 2 fans.)

If I keep the front intake radiator to less than 30 mm with a push fan (55 mm total thickness) I think I will be OK. Top and bottom rads the same thickness.

The pump/res combo can go in the backside of the case...the back pocket is about 120 mm wide.

Gotcha. Sounds like you should be good with Alphacool ST30 rads for example which is usually the choice in Corsair's 540 case. Very similar to this case but wonder what the difference is between both cases.

What about the Swiftech H220-x2 prestige? Or the H320-x2 prestige? Similar to the EK predator setup but more cost effective, and it looks awesome too.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835108219

$215 and it comes with the CPU block. Can always add the GPU later, or right away depending on how you want to do it. Possibly dont even need to fiddle with dyes (and added maintenance as a result) thanks to the LED lighting.

I thought about that, but decided against as I already have an AIO for my processor and my 2 GPUs (1 that I modded myself).

The temps are fantastic (both GPUs 45-ish C, and my CPU hasn't broke 65 C.

I doubt I could get much better with the various AIO solutions.

My philosophy is "go big or go home". :thup:

Yup, those pre-custom AIO kits are nice and great for beginners but if you want to go all out, you'll have to get your parts yourself. Plus the pumps included in those kits in most cases aren't as powerful as the premium pumps.

Back