• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Why so hot?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

I'm running the 6700k with the corsair h100i v2
I feel like it shouldn't be reaching these temps, 50c to 60c under idle
The only thing my pc was doing was downloading an update.
Any ideas what could be causing it to run hot?
hotmaybe.jpg

A little more info.
I have two 120mm fans pushing air up through the rad from the inside of the case (Rad is up top)
2 120mm and 1 240mm fan on the side blowing air in
and 1 120mm exhausting air out of the back.
I have more 120mm fans I could put on the top of the rad for push pull but I didn't think it would be necessary, especially for it to be cooler at idle

I will take it apart and re apply.
A pea sized amount in the middle of the chip, correct?

Seems like a lot of vcore for 4.2ghz. I would look at dropping those voltages.

So I redid my thermal paste. Here are a few pictures.
Don't mind the lack of wire management, this PSU is meant for my other rig, just waiting for the 750 to get here to clean up this rig.
Clean1.jpg
clean3.jpg
clean2.jpg
clean4.jpg

what do I have to do to change the vcore?

From the last picture, it looks like the fans are pulling air into the case through the rad, not out through the rad as you first said.

Do you have the USB connector for the Corsair AIO installed?

Do you have Corsair link installed?

Within Corsair link, it will tell you the temperature of the coolant in the AIO. What is the coolant temperature?

Also agree that the voltages seem high for a 4.2 GHz overclock.

4.2 isn't overclocked. That's stock. I haven't messed with the speeds or anything since resetting it all back to auto.
The voltage is also on auto.

You may be correct about the fans, Opening it up I don't feel much air coming in through it, but I also don't feel much going up through the top.
It almost feels the same both sides honestly.
Yeah, it is installed, it wasn't in the picture, sorry about that, I noticed it was unplugged right before I went to close it back up.

Here is a pic of Link
Untitled.jpg

Swap fans around firstly. IMO have the fans pulling through the rad (fans at top, rad bottom), but that's what I'd do personally. And make sure the plastic hub area is facing up.

That voltage is quite high, but stock = auto = goes crazy sometimes. I'd look at setting a manual voltage personally in the bios. But realistically those temps won't kill anything either.

Alright. I'm going to swap those 2 fans around and throw another 2 on top to push/pull it.

I'm a bit inexperienced with voltages and stuff, so can someone walk me through what I should be doing?
I raised the voltages on it once, when I tried OCing to 4.6, but it was brief and I just put it back on auto

You Link picture doesn't show any fan RPM...are you running off the motherboard?

Run the stress test and look at the coolant temp. Your CPU temp should stabilize quickly...and your AIO temp will gradually increase. Every degree increase in AIO coolant temp will increase CPU temp.

That link shows all of them that are plugged in I believe.
I just plugged 2 more fans in, but the h100i only has slots for 2 fans, so I plugged the new 2 into the "CPU_OPT" and "CPU_PUMP" Headers on the board, and those two fans are hauling ***.
I can hear them, it's not too loud, but still very obvious. I'm not sure if I can control their speed?
I think both of those fans are controlled by the same thing, because link isnt showing 2, only 1 and it shows its running at 1700RPM

You usually control hem through BIOS if they are connected to the motherboard.

My motherboard has an "MSI command center" software that let's me tweak fan settings (and other BIOS settings) in Windows. I use this to find the fan speeds I want, and then set them in BIOS on the next reboot.

For the AIO ones, double click on the AIO fans in Link and you can use a built-in profile, set your own profile, or do a fixed speed. (I do the last one).

Depending on your AIO type, the profiles will run off the coolant temp or the CPU temp. (Mine is only coolant temp, which is why I use fixed speed).

This is what it looks like running the AIDA64 load now...
load2.jpg

Attachments

• load1.jpg
    load1.jpg
    303.9 KB · Views: 58
Looks better. IMO the extra 2 fans aren't 'necessarily' required, You just need to lower your voltage. Going into the bios in the advanced settings or OC Tweak.. I don't know what the newer Asus boards have it listed as, you should be able to find your multiplier, clock speeds, etc, and further down voltages as well. Setting the voltage manually could help reduce temps, and also perhaps setting LLC to make sure it's sticking around the set voltage a little better.

Your current voltages I believe others are using for 4.6ghz or higher OC's, so I'm sure you can play around there.

Thanks a ton for the help here guys! The temps do look better now, and I'll mess around with the volts a little bit.
Is there a minimum amount of volts I shouldnt go under?

You won't hurt it with too little volts it'll either just not boot or be slightly unstable.

Back