• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Different speeds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haider

Just wondering why don't GPU manufacturers clock the same chip at different speeds and charge accordingly RX 480 1GHz, 1.5GHz and 2GHz. GTX 1060 2GHz , 2.5 GHz and 3GHz?

There isn't THAT much flexibility in GPU clock speeds. They are factory overclocked with an appropriate markup though.

Yes but I meant why don't AMD RTG/nVidia manufacture that way, like Intel does with CPUs. Manufacture chips at different clock speeds 1GHz, 1.5GHz or 2GHz. There must be an underlying technical reason, what's stopping them?

Yes but I meant why don't AMD RTG/nVidia manufacture that way, like Intel does with CPUs. Manufacture chips at different clock speeds 1GHz, 1.5GHz or 2GHz. There must be an underlying technical reason, what's stopping them?

Because clock speed isn't king on GPUs, cores are. That's why you get a 1060/1070/1080/etc.

I imagine a lot of it is also due to the fact that Intel sells the i5, but a dozen companies sell the GTX 1070 .
When you already have a dozen iterations of the GTX 1060/1070/1080, if each company made a dozen iterations with different clock speeds you would end up with an overly saturated market. I personally dont want to see 10 companies each selling 5 versions of a GTX 1070 (there really isnt a need). The step up/down, as ATM pointed out, is the GTX 1060/GTX 1080.

Back