• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

M.2 faster?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Haturee

Okay, So, the m.2 is currently the only drive installed in this PC.
I was kinda expecting it to boot up almost instantly, but it still does a bit of loading.
Is there anything I can do to make sure that is is booting at its fastest possible speed?

depends if the m2 slot is going through the sata bus or actually able to utilize the pci-e lanes i suppose. And the quality of the ssd.

It's a (SAMSUNG 950 PRO M.2 512GB PCI-Express 3.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) MZ-V5P512BW)
It is plugged into the M.2 Slot on the asus maximus viii extreme mobo

You may need to configure settings in the BIOS to set it go through the PCI Express lanes as Helgaiden has mentioned. There are videos for setting them up if you do a simple google search. I bought one today and it will arrive tomorrow so I will have to go through setting mine up. I have a Z170-E and I am fairly sure it has the ability for M.2 devices to go through the PCI-E lanes so I'm going to be investigating myself how to set that.

My concern is that I know already there is a driver I need to acquire for the M.2 drive to function properly in Windows 7. It supposedly will install to the M.2 drive without the driver, but I'm not holding my breath. I also do not know if any current imaging software works with these drives either, so if anyone reading this has any information on that I would greatly appreciate it!

--edit--

Just from a quick look around it looks like the forum could use a guide for setting up M.2 devices if it is indeed this difficult to make sure it is properly configured. My bet is there will be more and more questions on m.2 drives as they are becoming more popular as the prices are beginning to fall into a very affordable range for their performance.

I have an asus maximus viii extreme and it didn't require any special things to install windows.
I plugged it into the m.2 slot on the mother board and installed windows 10 normally through CD.

But I want to put it on my asus rampage v edition 10 once my water cooling parts get here, along with a 1tb SSD.

Windows 10 installs just fine on an M.2. It's Windows 7 that is missing a driver so I guess that's my prerogative to worry about.

Back