• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cheap PSU for dual socket builds

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

cyberfish

Hello!

Does anyone know of a cheap (but from a reputable company) PSU with 2x8-pin CPU connectors? (not the same as PCI-E 8-pin)

I only need about 600W, and that's including a comfortable safety margin already. This is a dual socket build with 2x E5-2670 and a GTX 1060, so my only other requirement is a 6-pin PCI-E connector... I am guessing any PSU with dual socket support will have at least one 6-pin PCI-E :).

So far I have only found Seasonic S12-II 620W. Any other options?

Thanks

Even if you find one cheaper than that Seasonic, you'll likely be sacrificing quality.
It's a great budget unit while still being a solid performer from a great OEM.

Yeah the problem is that particular model is a bit expensive here in the UK, and ideally I want something modular.

I just found EVGA 650W GQ which costs a bit more, but is mostly modular (*), and 80+ gold. jonnyguru also really likes it.

It costs a bit more, but efficiency does matter for me because I do a lot of heavy computations for research, and 16 cores can draw quite a bit of power 24/7.

*: Besides ATX cable. I never understand why that one needs to be modular anyways - when do you not need that cable?

Yeah the problem is that particular model is a bit expensive here in the UK, and ideally I want something modular.

I just found EVGA 650W GQ which costs a bit more, but is mostly modular (*), and 80+ gold. jonnyguru also really likes it.

It costs a bit more, but efficiency does matter for me because I do a lot of heavy computations for research, and 16 cores can draw quite a bit of power 24/7.

*: Besides ATX cable. I never understand why that one needs to be modular anyways - when do you not need that cable?

It's easier sometimes for re-cabling things, or replacing cables, sleeving, even some RMA requests may be easier without a 24 pin connected. I personally prefer fully modular myself these days. Installation is easier too IMO.

The EVGA is another solid unit. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but remember the bronze vs gold ordeal really won't make a huge difference.

It's easier sometimes for re-cabling things, or replacing cables, sleeving, even some RMA requests may be easier without a 24 pin connected. I personally prefer fully modular myself these days. Installation is easier too IMO.

The EVGA is another solid unit. I don't think you can go wrong either way, but remember the bronze vs gold ordeal really won't make a huge difference.

Good points about re-cabling, sleeving, etc. I guess I just never bothered doing those things :).

Well the difference is about 7% efficiency at 50% load. For a 300W load, that's a difference of about 21W. For 24/7, that's about 184kWh per year. At my current electricity price, that's £25 per year. It's well worth the £10 difference in price for me (and I get modularity for free!).

I do agree that people tend to over-estimate the difference in general, though.

Hard to tell you what's good and budget friendly if we don't know where you can buy from.

All the standard UK places :).

Amazon, Novatech, Currys, Scan, Overclockers.co.uk, etc. Selection is about the same as in the US, but some parts are priced differently (well, they are mostly just all more expensive, but sometimes not by the same amount).

Newegg ships to the UK, too, but usually not worth it (international shipping, duty, taxes, etc).

Looking at all the options I see for 80+ Gold and 2x8-pin EPS connectors the best I see is the EVGA 650 GQ for your budget.
It's a very solid PSU, as you said JonnyGuru likes it, and it would put you dead in the efficiency band.

Looking at all the options I see for 80+ Gold and 2x8-pin EPS connectors the best I see is the EVGA 650 GQ for your budget.
It's a very solid PSU, as you said JonnyGuru likes it, and it would put you dead in the efficiency band.

Thanks for checking. Yeah it does seem like the EVGA 650 GQ is pretty hard to beat!

Back