• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i7 4770K overclock - bluescreen

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Barocker

Hi,

I am confused and hope that my hardware is still ok...

My setup:
Intel Core i7 4770K 4x 3.50GHz So.1150 BOX
Gigabyte Z87X-D3H Intel Z87 So.1150 Dual Channel DDR3 ATX Retail

16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill Ares DDR3-1600 DIMM CL9-9-9-24 Dual Kit

Nvidia Geforce 460

When I run with my Bios Settings for the CPU all on Auto-Mode and a BCLK of 100 x43 (4300), the the computer runs stable for maximum 24hours. Temp are constant between 80-90 and Vcore varies to max 1.445.

When I try x44 or x45 the computer is stable for maximum 2 minutes.

Anyone?

Thanks!
Olli

That's a pretty high vCore for that speed... are you on manual?

ok.. I tried now x41 (4100) and the same result. Temps are below 80° and Vcore varies around 1.1xxx.

Vcore is on auto (as all other volts as well)

Bluescreen after about 1 hour. What precise settings can I try to run this setup stable?

I'll ask again what Robert17 asked, what cooler are you using?

Have you confirmed stability at stock settings?

ok.. i did a few tests (stresstest and a MEM test) with default settings and up to x39 the system is running stable. no errors whatsoever.. now i would like to get some help how i can approach x45.. step by step.
is it a good idea to get a different cooler? if yes, what would you recommend? noise doesnt matter..
thanks

Last edited:
For an air cooler the darkrock is decent. AIOs aren't that much better for the price TBH
Leaving everything at auto I would keep raising the multiplier by one and then see if the PC will boot. Each time noting the V_Core while in windows. At some point it either will not boot or windows won't load or crashes shortly afterward. Then back up on the multi to the last place windows would boot and you have a V_Core reading. I would then set the V_Core manually to the last reading and add a bit. So if it was 1.3v, try 1.33v and see if you can stabilize windows with that voltage during a stress test. Keep an eye on your temps etc.. then work your way up one multi at a time stabilizing as you go until your cooler is maxed out and temps become an issue

For an air cooler the darkrock is decent. AIOs aren't that much better for the price TBH
Leaving everything at auto I would keep raising the multiplier by one and then see if the PC will boot. Each time noting the V_Core while in windows. At some point it either will not boot or windows won't load or crashes shortly afterward. Then back up on the multi to the last place windows would boot and you have a V_Core reading. I would then set the V_Core manually to the last reading and add a bit. So if it was 1.3v, try 1.33v and see if you can stabilize windows with that voltage during a stress test. Keep an eye on your temps etc.. then work your way up one multi at a time stabilizing as you go until your cooler is maxed out and temps become an issue

I concur! That's how I do my overclocks :thup:

thank you very much!!
in my favourite online store ive got the option either advanced c1 or rock pro 3. i think rock pro 3 to be sure (its more expensive :) )

i will try that

Like I said I thought you already had the DR 2 and it's a decent cooler. Another cooler won't gain you too much maybe another 100MHz.

ah ok... got it wrong. thanks! so i will try then now step by step as u described

How does your PC run stock? If it runs fine I would try Vcore of 1.33v in HWmonitor under load for 4.5Ghz.

How does your PC run stock? If it runs fine I would try Vcore of 1.33v in HWmonitor under load for 4.5Ghz.

in stock up to 3.9Ghz its fine.. I already tried 4.3Ghz with several Vcores and it doesnt work... the best result is up to 24hours without a crash. But then finally a crash... I tried 4.5Ghz with 1.449 (which it goes up to automatic) and decreased a few steps but also crashed..

I will now go higher step by step with small steps in Vcore..

I will now go higher step by step with small steps in Vcore..

That's the only way to get it right, you just waste time setting a speed and throwing voltage at it. Slow and steady. When you have a good solid overclock that's stable. Set a favorite in BIOS before you go any further. That way if things fall off the rails and you can't get it stable, you have something to fall back on and start over

+1 slow and steady, you just might have below average overclocker, I had bad luck with the second i5 2500k I had.

Back