• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 1070 Mini: no fan spinning at 82 C, normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Antisthenes

Registered
The mITX got two Noctua 80 mm fans right in front of the GPU, with only a mm clearance, so does that explain why the semi-passive fan of the 1070 doesn't kick in at 82 C?

GPU-Z said that fan speed was 70 percent, but RPM was zero.

The fan of my Corsair SF600 psu has not started once either, is that normal when it has fanless mode?

Max temp of the stock 6700K has been 72 C at highest load so far, with 31 during downloads and not much more when average gaming on 1080p with all settings maxed out.

So basically happy with my new small CM 110 case, but wonder about the inactive GPU and PSU fans.

The mITX got two Noctua 80 mm fans right in front of the GPU, with only a mm clearance, so does that explain why the semi-passive fan of the 1070 doesn't kick in at 82 C?

GPU-Z said that fan speed was 70 percent, but RPM was zero.

The fan of my Corsair SF600 psu has not started once either, is that normal when it has fanless mode?

Max temp of the stock 6700K has been 72 C at highest load so far, with 31 during downloads and not much more when average gaming on 1080p with all settings maxed out.

So basically happy with my new small CM 110 case, but wonder about the inactive GPU and PSU fans.

The SF600 won't spin up most of the time. My SF450 barely spins up under load with a 1070 and 4690k OC'd. Takes a good 30mins to even consider it. It's normal.

CPU temps seem fine.

GPU fan should be spinning. Physically have a look if you can at the card and check, rather than relying on software.

I don't know if Precision X from EVGA will work on a Gigabyte card but I do know that fans on GPU cards will NOT automatically speed up as temps rise. I have to keep Precision X running all the time and I changed the default profile for the fan.

fancurve.jpg

I don't know if Precision X from EVGA will work on a Gigabyte card but I do know that fans on GPU cards will NOT automatically speed up as temps rise. I have to keep Precision X running all the time and I changed the default profile for the fan.

View attachment 183595
Different software works on different cards. Sometimes functionality is missing (sensor reading, voltage control may not work, etc), but it typically works in most other areas. That said the OP's GPU, and yours, should be spinning up WITHOUT software running. I may suggest you refresh your bios or something.

As far as the OP, I haven't seen a review on the card which may have adjusted it's fan's turn on temperature. Being a SFF card, it may turn on later.... but 82C seems too high. Personally, I would reach out to gigabyte and see what they have to say about your situation.

PSU fan is fine. May I suggest a read here about it - http://www.corsair.com/en-us/sf-ser...-plus-gold-certified-high-performance-sfx-psu

You have a 600W PSU and using 250W at max. I wouldn't expect it to spin up for a long while, if at all either.

Last edited:
Tnx for replies! The psu fan spins a second at boot, so seems fine. Regarding watt usage: I got Asus Maximus VIII Impact mini mobo, 6700k, Samsung 850 Pro SSD, H80i V2 with two stock 120 mm radiator fans, 16 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengance, 2 80 mm Noctua case fans, Wifi card, external disc writer, mouse and keyboard. Is all that not enough to trigger the psu fan when gaming at 1080p max settings? Can actually feel the heat from the psu 20 cm away.

The GPU fan doesn't spin at boot. Checked it. Saw one small connector at the back, which was plugged in, but don't know what it is. The 8 pin connector betwen the GPU and CPU is also connected. But get one beep from the mobo at boot, so what does that mean? If the front panel connectors are not right, can that prevent the GPU fan from spinning? Is there something else that might stop the fans from running?

The mITX is all new, so guess BIOS is up to date, and got the latest Nvidia drivers. Can play games, until the GPU reaches 80 C after a few minutes, then I quit gaming. Return the GPU and get a new?

Last edited:
Like I said... you are around 250W. I'm not surprised the psu fan does not spin.

The front panel connectors have nothing to do with your gpu and it's fans. If they are not spinning at startup, then you hAve a problem with the fans/card. The gpu can handle over 80C so that isn't an issue...but the fans should kick on around 60C. I wound reach out to giga and see what they say. I'm guessing rma.

Tnx for helpful info, appreciate it :) Have sent a mail to Gigabyte, seems RMA is most likely.

Have you tried the Giga software or MSI Afterburner and tried to manually enable the fan?

You stated on startup though that they're not starting.. That's not really an issue IMO? If the fan has a 0 db mode. 82 degrees still sounds like it's running at some point, or its throttling, as i'd expect it to go a lot higher than that if the fans didn't run, even with a couple fans in front of it.

On startup they SHOULD start. All models I have tested with the zero fan tech always spins up, then shuts off when you power up your PC.

I believe the OP also mentioned something about running for a 'few' minutes and shutting it down... not sure if he gamed any longer than that... or what game he even played for that matter. But he mentioned a short duration.

Different software works on different cards. Sometimes functionality is missing (sensor reading, voltage control may not work, etc), but it typically works in most other areas. That said the OP's GPU, and yours, should be spinning up WITHOUT software running. I may suggest you refresh your bios or something.

I did not say the fan on my card did not spin, I said I have to use Precision X to auto mode to control the fan speed as temp goes up, EVGA cards have a default speed of 30-40%, some at 30%, some at 40% and with out Precision X that speed won't change when the GPU gets hot.
As for the OP's card, I don't know as I don't have a Gigabyte card so he will have to get with Gigabyte and see what can be done.

edit: After looking at that card at Gigabyte, that card has what is called 3D Active Fan and at idle or light use the fan will not spin, the profile for the fan may be set so it spins at a high temp. Xtreme Engine utility will need to be use to change the fan profile so it will spin at lower temps.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that behavior before (where the fan curve won't kick in until you DL the software). Not on MSI, ASUS, or Gigabyte. I have a evga 1060 I will be putting on the review bench today... perhaps I will get to experience it. :)

For the record, the point I was making is that they spin up to full tilt at startup as well as the bios driven fan profile working without software needing to be installed. I have a giga card on the bench now and it spun up at start (which the OP's isnt doing) and varying on temps just fine without the software (well below 82C). I'll find out later on a pascal based evga card....but know it didn't happen in previous generations. As I mentioned earlier, I am wondering if the curve is different on the sff card... but to not even start spinning until 82C.... seems really high. That coupled with the fact the fans don't spin on startup leads me to believe it's bad.

I'd be interested to see the fan curve on that card with the giga utility or msi ab...and subsequently see if the fan starts working with softw are, buthe, I'm not betting on it.

Last edited:
I haven't seen that behavior before (where the fan curve won't kick in until you DL the software). Not on MSI, ASUS, or Gigabyte. I have a evga 1060 I will be putting on the review bench today... perhaps I will get to experience it. :) There is no fan curve with out the software, it's just set around 30 to 40%, the software has a default profile but I did not like it so I changed it :)

For the record, the point I was making is that they spin up to full tilt at startup as well as the bios driven fan profile working without software needing to be installed. I have a giga card on the bench now and it spun up at start (which the OP's isnt doing) and varying on temps just fine without the software (well below 82C). I'll find out later on a pascal based evga card....but know it didn't happen in previous generations. As I mentioned earlier, I am wondering if the curve is different on the sff card... but to not even start spinning until 82C.... seems really high. That coupled with the fact the fans don't spin on startup leads me to believe it's bad. And I agree on it possibility being bad.

I'd be interested to see the fan curve on that card with the giga utility or msi ab...and subsequently see if the fan starts working with software, but then, I'm not betting on it.

Fan curves are stored in the GPU's BIOS (and software can obviously change that). I wonder why my Giga card changes speed with temps without software installed if there isn't a fan curve with software...

... we will find out if that is an EVGA thing shortly... as I said, ASUS, Giga (what the OP has), and MSI fan curves work fine without any of their software installed.

Tried EVGA Precision. Everythings seems normal except 0 RPM on the fan. Tried to change it, taking the slider up and down, and changing profile, then restarting, but still 0 RPM.

Asus BIOS says something like "Use a valid GPU".

I turned off the game, Rise of TR, after a few minutes when the GPU temp reached 82 C.

Will get a new GPU tomorrow, and get a new PSU today just to check that the GPU failure is not caused by the 6-2 pin cable of the PSU.

Also a bit uncomfortable when feeling and kind of smelling the heat of the fanless mode PSU, 10-20 cm away from it, after it is turned off. Fanless mode is not good on a gaming mITX because I was counting on the fan to reduce heat inside the case. Is there software for the Corsair SF600 that makes it possible to keep the fan always on? Tried Corsair Link Dashboard, but it's not supported by SF PSUs.

There is no need to purchase another PSU for the reasons you listed as it has NOTHING to do with the fan problem. If you want to replace it for one which has a fan that runs constantly, that is valid.

You have a Gigabyte card, did you try their software?

There if the Corsair link software doesn't work with the PSU, there isn't a way, software wise, that you can do it.

Tried the Gigabyte Extreme utility, set fan manually to 40 percent at 20 C, rebooted, but no fan activity.

Out of curiosity, with the fan set as it is above...what does GPUZ say?

BTW...if still no fan activity visually confirmed, RMA.

Back