• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gigabyte 1070 Mini: no fan spinning at 82 C, normal?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Try manually setting it, meaning, not to ramp up at a specific temperature... Just (try to) run 100% fan.

Tried at 100 percent, no luck. Tried new 6+2 cable also.

Off topic: just updated Windows, get strange artifacts, and a blue spinning wheel at the cursor that doesn't stop.

Well, enough troubleshooting this day and evening, time for a movie :)

One last hurrah....uninstall driver completely (DDU). Pull and reseat vid card, fresh install of driver.
If no joy...RMA.

Getting a new card tomorrow. In Norway one can always return products bought online, it's called a "regret right", with its own law, the regret right law. My store has a 45 days time limit on regretting. Too bad iTunes don't have the same, because the movie I just saw, mentioned above, Conjuring 2, had quality, and got good reviews, but 99 % of all ghost/horror movies forget the essential principle of a good cinematic scare: only hear, not see. Well, that was totally off topic. Anyway, tnx for help and advice.

I will, after having tweaked Windows and optimized everything for gaming. Looks promising so far, but haven't had time to tweak software because fixing the GPU and getting things ready for travel has been first priority. I'm a graphic junkie, allergic to microstuttering, but prepared to compromise since one should be realistic about the power of a small mITX like the CM 110.

My main concern now is that British Airways allows 23 kilo cabin luggage, but the CM 110 is 10 cm too deep to fit under the front seat, so will have to put it in the overhead locker, praying to dear God that moderate to extreme turbulence doesn't unpin the locker and me getting hit on the head by a $3000 computer bouncing around in the cabin.

Okay, now I'm officially frustrated, because the fan of the new GPU doesn't work either. And the psu is new. Can there be something wrong with the mobo?

Is there something I have missed? Have tried all your suggestions so far, including reinstalling the latest Nvidia drivers.

What 'new GPU' did you get? The same model? Try playing for a longer period of time and see if the fans ever start to spin. Don't worry about temperatures and throttling, etc. It will not hurt the card. Try that card in another system too (this will tell you if its your rig or the card).

Again the motherboard and the PSU shouldn't have anything to do with the GPU fan spinning that is all on the GPU.

Same model. Don't have another rig to test now. But is there something in BIOS or Windows or something else that can fix this? Seems extraordinary unlikely that two brand new GPUs have the same fan failure and show the same symptoms.

The fan of this one doesn't spin 1-2 second at boot either.

Did the other spin up at boot? You said it didn't earlier, now you are alluding it did? Please be clear... :)

As I also stated earlier, perhaps that card's fan doesn't kick on until an even higher temperature. Run it with monitoring software (MSI AB, the graph) and run something that will get it hot. Let it pass 82C and throttle if needed. We need to see if it was turned up.

Fracking hell, physically removed the 2 80 mm fans in front of the GPU, and now the fan spins. I'm seriously relieved and pissed at the same time. Laughing and want to punch something/someone :) :(

CM 110 says two 80x25 mm fans can be placed in front of the GPU, so did that, with Noctua NF-A8, but they must have physically blocked the GPU fan, even though it moved when I used a finger to spin it. The fan now makes an annoying whining noise at high speed, 1850 rpm. Temp quickly gets to 70 C with Rise of TR.

At least we now know that Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC is not compatible with 2 80x25 mm fans in a CM 110.

Last edited:
Want to sue someone, like CM or Gigabyte for wasted time and travel expenses when returning the former GPU :)

But 70 C on this GPU is high during gaming, right?

And the whining noise... Anyway to fix that? Too absurd to return this GPU too, even though it's not my fault. Had no problem placing the GPU in the slot, the fan did spin when I physically moved it, and I have asked on this forum if it was safe to put 80 mm fans totally close in front of the GPU fan.

70 degrees is perfectly fine.

Define 'whining noise'? Coil whine can be normal. I have 2 GTX 1070 full size card with 2 120mm fans in front if it and there's no problem. It's 'possible' your 80mm fans were causing the fan to stop moving based on their own airflow (though unlikely).

Is it a bearing noise?

Want to sue someone, like CM or Gigabyte for wasted time and travel expenses when returning the former GPU :)

But 70 C on this GPU is high during gaming, right?

And the whining noise... Anyway to fix that? Too absurd to return this GPU too, even though it's not my fault. Had no problem placing the GPU in the slot, the fan did spin when I physically moved it, and I have asked on this forum if it was safe to put 80 mm fans totally close in front of the GPU fan.

"Totally close" and 'touching the other fan so it doesn't spin' are two different things. One would assume to check if it was that close to have to ask the question. In fact, in the first post you stated you had a "mm clearance". How were we to see you actually did not have a mm clearance??? You are our eyes!

....or are you saying the airflow may have stopped it? Have you tried disabling the fans but having them in place to see if it was the airflow doing it? You can test and find detailed out! Which wayou were those 80mm fans blowing the air? Towards the gpu or away from it?

70C is fine, yep!

It was a mm clearance to the first GPU. Had already tried turning down the airflow of the 80 mm fans, had the two in the same direction as the GPU fan, and tried with no spinning at all. But the first GPU fan was still inactive. But with the second GPU I noticed that one side of the plastic panel was touching one of the 80 mm fans. Only when I physically removed the 80 mm fans did the second GPU work properly.

Have a noise-cancelling headset, but without it the whine would be very irritating.

Btw, obviously I'm not blaming any of you guys for not suggesting to physically remove the 80 mm fans. Have read on other forums that this should not be a problem. Cooler Master 110 and Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC is just not a good fit with 80x25 mm case fans. Think that is a pretty safe conclusion after trying two GPUs.

But theoretically it is possible that the first GPU had a genuine malfunction while the second GPU was too close to the 80 mm fan, touching it, and then its fan started spinning when the 80 mm fans were physically removed. But the fan of the second GPU did also move when I spun it with my finger, unobstructed (it seemed).

It is also possible, I guess, that the fan of the second GPU got kind of "airflow blocked" by the 80 mm fans because I forgot to turn them down to less speed than the GPU fan the first time I started the new second GPU. But it didn't even spin at boot. And then I quickly removed the 80 mm fans, and the second time I started the new GPU, its fan worked. In other words, it is (theoretically) possible, I guess, that it would have worked the first time if the two 80 mm fans had less speed than the GPU fan at that time. But I'm no engineer, so here I'm only guessing.

But anyone who is buying the CM 110 and the Gigabyte 1070 Mini OC should be aware of this (potential) problem, and how to fix it.

Back