• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Free tool to check remaining SSD life?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

sup3rcarrx8

Hey guys,

I finally upgraded one of my last personal desktops to SSD and I was wondering if there's any free tools to check the remaining life on them; they're all different brands ranging from Intel, Samsung, Kingston drives so is there a free tool that can read different drives and give a ETA on the remaining lifespan of them?

Each of those drives has their own software which will do that... or just HDTune/HDTach.. I believe both of those read SMART information... or any other app like HWMonitor that will pull SMART information which shows drive life left.

If SSD's get warm, standard 2.5" drives then there is an issue. Most are 2.5-4W, think a few exceed that going into the 5-6W range but overall they are low power devices. But anything under 40C and your fine. I believe they can go upwards of 60C for operations typically, but you can handle at least the 2.5's in hand during operation without it being way to hot. Only ones I know that get really warm are the M.2 PCI-E ones.

But yes Intel and Samsung I know have a tool. Samsung's is called Magician if not mistaken. They give you all the info you need on what your drive condition is. Though a third party one would probably handle all brands.

Doesn't Aida64 check that ? the free version i mean, SMART checks are usually standard.

I don't want to install opera I want only tool.
What ssd do you have? Typically the maker has software...

Samsung magician, ssd tool for toshiba/ocz, etc....

See post 5... etc.. plenty of options in the thread outside of the one you picked that doesnt wprk for you. ;)

I like HWiNFO64, it monitors everything. The nice thing is it also keeps the max and average temps. Only monitoring program you need. Small footprint and does not use much resources.

Why do we care about average temps?

I surely can't think of a reason, honestly. So long as its below my max, I could care less about anything else. Maybe idle temps just to see if I'm way out of whack... but average temps? Don't get it worth...

Last edited:
I usually don't, but when I was trying to decide if temp spikes up to 64 would be okay, I decided to check average temps to see at what temp the drive operates at for sustained periods of time. But, if you start doing that a lot, it might be better to just find an app that will log temps.

Back