• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

After a complete shut down, starting the computer works only after reset button

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

c627627

c(n*199780) Senior Member
Rebooting is fine, but after shutting the computer down completely and then starting it up again, this results, every time:

Computer beeps once (normally) - monitor turns ON - but *nothing* is on display whatsoever, no BIOS info - nothing. It stays like this "forever".
Press reset on the computer case and BIOS info appears normally and it reboots just fine.
Possible cause?

Skylake Asus Z-170A motherboard, Intel Core i5 i5-6600K CPU.
Corsair RM850 850W power supply.
G.SKILL DDR4 RAM 2x8GB 3200 PC4 25600 F4-3200C14D-16GVR.

One M.2 directly connected to the motherboard without PCIe adaptor hosting Windows 8.1. SSD SATA hosting Windows 8.0, Windows XP and Windows 10, four mechanical hard drives 2TB each, three optical hard drives. (Blu ray reader, Blu ray burner and a DVD writer two of which are connected to a SATA PCIe card).

Can you get into the Bios screen on the first boot-up? When it sits there and you can't see anything on your screen try unplugging the monitor cable then reconnect it.

Can you get into the Bios screen on the first boot-up? When it sits there and you can't see anything on your screen try unplugging the monitor cable then reconnect it.
Negative. Tried and still nothing.
POWER ON > BEEP > Monitor does turn ON automatically but nothing is displayed.

Only by pressing the RESET case button at this point > everything is 100%.
It's a tough one, I know... :(

BIOS flashed to the latest version now, it was on the version before last before.
Resetting the BIOS got the initial logo screen back.

This is useful because the logo screen now appears as soon as you press the power button.
The logo screen on it has the words press F2 to enter BIOS setup, etc.

So because the logo screen is there I know know that everything FREEZES after initial power ON.

So you press F2 or press anything and nothing happens. It is frozen completely.

But you press the reboot button and you see the initial logo screen again and this time it goes through, you can even press F2 to enter BIOS this time.

This clarifies the situation.
1. Computer running > Reboot > no problem.
2. Computer running > Shut Down > Power ON > problem:

Freezes immediately after the initial beep.
But pressing Reset allows it to go through immediately after the beep.

We don't want it freezing after the initial beep upon starting after shut down.

Just took the nuclear option. Disconnected all hard drives and removed the video card completely. Booted with no drives attached, not even optical and with monitor connected to motherboard video out.

Same problem.

So faulty motherboard? EDIT: One drive remained connected accidentally. That drive caused all this.

Last edited:
Wouldn't think it's the mobo...you're making it cleanly through the POST (happy beep), freezes after hand-off to OS. Something weird 'twixt hand-off and OS initialization :confused:

If you are seeing the splash screen, but not the windows loading screen as mentioned (as well as it still happening without any drives attached), it's getting hung in the POST, before/at the OS load.

Immediately after power on, try hitting TAB repeatedly to remove that splash screen and see where it is hanging in the POST. If you are not able to do so, disable that in your BIOS (will be in the boot section somewhere), reboot, and see if you can catch where it hangs while POSTing.

This shouldn't be happening, surely. I would imagine it is RMA time. :(

Last edited:
i had almost exactly this happen with an older board before, it was the cmos battery was dead, new battery fixed it. though being that is a brand new motherboard it "shouldnt" be dead already so idk. does it have a cmos jumper to clear bios? of so make sure its not set to on, that will cause a similar issue in some cases.

Wow. I figured it out. Directly opposite from the video card there was a 2TB hard drive that still remained connected. Once I disconnected it, it went through.

Now to figure out if SATA port, cable, or drive itself is the cause.

I had an issue with a 550w PSU on an older PC when I had 6 spinners & 2 optical drives. I could disconnect any one of the HDDs and it would POST.

Could be a similar issue with your system, but an 850w seems to be more than enough.

The "what" has been solved.
The "why" is interesting. Get this:

The drive in question is a recently bought Western Digital Black WD 2000GB SATA 7200 RPM (64MB), model WD2003FZEX
http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=760#Tab3
Nothing unusual about it NTFS, MBR formatted, single normal partition.
* I have a Hitachi 2TB and a Seagate 2TB drive on the system formatted just like it, that cannot replicate this problem in identical situation *

Even when disconnected from power (!)
the drive causes a problem IF it is connected to one of the four main SATA ports.

If it is connected to one of the two side ports (in blue below) - it causes NO PROBLEM.
Picture illustration:

So
when connected to gray - PROBLEM
when connected to either one of the two BLUEs - no problem

SATAEXPRESS.png

Again, I tested other 2TB drives and they do NOT create this problem under identical circumstances. So different cables and identically formatted/size drives make no difference.

The problem source has been identified and work around found (just connect the WD Black to one of the two blue highlighted SATAEXPRESS ports.)

but

Feel free to post speculation on why on earth this is happening!?

Last edited:
No problem.

OCZ RD400 128GB M.2 Solid State Drive directly connected to motherboard without PCIe adaptor. It hosts Windows 8.1.
off topic: I love that M.2 drive. What a quantum leap in technology. Multiple times faster than regular SATA SSDs on the market now. Also buying a retail license for Windows 8 was a good decision because [Windows 8.1+Classic Shell] gives me everything Windows 10 does minus DirectX12 minus headaches.

But yes additionally there is a regular SATA SSD drive on the system as well that hosts Windows 8.0, Windows XP and of course, Windows 10.

Back