• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PROJECT LOG Project: Military Tech - A fundraising project in support of veterans

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Sorry. Meant to type not so much. Still maintaining my wait and see. I'm lovin' everything else.

Update 03/06/17

LL

Good afternoon DDCM fans!

I apologize for the lack of updates, but I do have a lengthy one for you today! Bear with me and the massive picture overload. I’m going to start the post with a peek into the current state of the build. Oooo…. Pretty lights….

First, we finished painting the panels green, then assembled the case as is. The case assembled, was taken to the Veterans of Foreign Wars(VFW) February meeting. The response from the gentleman there was fantastic and they will be happy to provide members to man the donation/giveaway table at different locations around town. Now it’s on me to get the case finished and start calling around to stores for permission to set up there.

After bringing the case back, I began to clear coat the case parts (after the recommendation from ArtMods) to prevent fingerprints and such. Keeping to the matte clear coat keeps it looking nice, but I’m really digging the slight sheen it created. We also took the opportunity to cut holes and install grommets for cable management.

Once the clear coat was dry, I began to install components. First up we mounted the spare 60GB(I know I know… I’m crying a bit inside too). After which, we cut the cable management hole so we could use 90 degree connectors and hide the cables to the other side of the motherboard tray. We also painted the stripes on the side panel that will showcase the SSD window(which will have the stars).

After the SSD was in place and wired up, we turned our attention to the Tt Water 3.0 AIO water cooling. After receiving the longer radiator screws from ModMyMods, I attached the front fans through the bracket to the radiator on the other side. Installing the Water 3.0 system and each part afterward, I focused on doing the cable management for each piece. The RGB control box for the five Tt Riing Plus 12 fans sits in the drive cage on the bottom, allowing for good cable management out of sight. Additional length of the front fan cables was tucked in beside the fans to sit behind the front panel. The other fan cables were tucked in the crevices around the motherboard tray to hide them from view. This also maximizes the amount of space needed for all the power cables. We also took time to install EVGA’s 1000W Supernova G2 PSU, no cables were attached until we tested the lights later on. I am excited to see the finished tan digital camo plate that will cover the side of the PSU. There was even hints toward LED illumination of the logo.

Once the cooling and PSU were in place, I went ahead and installed the motherboard and begun routing and hooking up cables. The black sleeved motherboard front I/O connectors look sharp coming off Gigabyte’s “G Connector” and through the grommet. There will be less slack when zip tied together and connected to the switch in front. Also, we fed the SATA cable through and plugged it in as well. Then we mock installed the cooling block in place to get a feel for the path of the tubes. To finish it off we installed the G.Skill Aegis 8GB RAM donated by Overclockers.com. Now we just need to get our hands on some RAM heatspreaders so we can color match them to the build.

Once we had everything in place, we just couldn’t resist and tested the RGB fans and white LED strip. We will also have another LED strip up top, but I’m waiting until I receive the PSU plaque from ArtMods and figure out how that will work.

As for the peripherals that Thermaltake sent us, we painted them with the same green to match the build. I picked up some tan acrylic paint to do some tiny accent highlights.

Well, that’s all I have for now. I wish I had more, but have been busy on the non-computer side of DDCM. For those who only care about the computer, you can look away for the rest of the post.

First, we refurbished an old coffee table to be used as a sturdy lego table, no wobbly plastic junk for my monkey of a daughter to climb on.

Also, we are in the progress of building a built in headboard unit for our bed. We refurbished some old white wood drawers that were pulled out of a dentist’s office. Then painted 2x12s a semi dark brown for the structure, and some 1x12 shelving boards cut to length. Next steps is to bolt the structure to the cabinets and install the lighting(Christmas LED string lights through pegboard and covered with a black lace material)

Well if you made it to this point in the post, thanks for sticking with it. I hope you enjoyed the progress update and I would love to hear your thoughts. I’m sure there’s flaws, so don’t hesitate to point them out as that’s how I learn and grow as a builder.

Thank you all!

Modders Unite!

Dang Dalchi, you're pretty much done, aren't you? Congrats man, and sorry I never had the chance to donate anything. Life, you know.

But good on you for seeing this through. The world needs more people like you! By the way, YGPM.

Looking good Dalchi. Those matching peripherals look amazing. Well done sir!

Thank you Blay! The peripherals were definitely the most popular posts on my social media as well. Now as long as I don't screw them up with the tan accents haha.

I saw your Ryzen build log starting and excited to see that come about. Your friend has some strong writing for sure!

As an old Retired Military guy I really appreciate what you are doing.......looking good....

I didn't stay in long enough to retire, just long enough to gain some huge life experiences. I'm always happy to see another veteran in the PC world.

Dang Dalchi, you're pretty much done, aren't you? Congrats man, and sorry I never had the chance to donate anything. Life, you know.

But good on you for seeing this through. The world needs more people like you! By the way, YGPM.

Thanks Vish!

We are entering the home stretch for sure, raising donations from businesses now to hopefully fund the remaining pieces. I got the VFW on board to man the table for me while I'm at work. That will help generate more donations out during the daytime.

Never apologize for life man, we all get our legs taken out once in a while. Happy to hear from you again and I responded to the PM.

I'll have to say that I am impressed! I have some DDR2 with heat spreaders for you, whenever you're in the area again. You'll have to check out the latest...

I'll have to say that I am impressed! I have some DDR2 with heat spreaders for you, whenever you're in the area again. You'll have to check out the latest...

I will try to block out some time, I should've reached out yesterday since we were in kingsport doing some errands and went out to dinner for the oldest's birthday.

Are you still looking for some components.......If so what, maybe I can help.....

Yeah, unfortunately I didn't get everything covered by the sponsors... but what a haul I was able to get. We are still missing a couple vital pieces though.

CPU - I have nothing for this. 1151 is the socket. I would prefer something like a 6700k or similar to bring power, but I don't know if I'll get enough donations locally.
GPU - I have an old Geforce GTX 670 that I can use... but I wanted to use something a little newer
SSD - As seen in the pictures, I only have that spare 60GB(used, unknown age/abuse) I reached out to GSkill and others for SSD, but no luck. Was hoping for something 240GB or bigger to handle any OS/Gaming needs.
HDD - As a supplement to the SSD, the only extra HDDs I have is an old 80GB and a 320GB... I was hoping to gain WD or Seagate support for a 1TB drive.

But that's it.... haha just a couple.

Back