• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the radiator with a freezer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
you just are not going 6gz 24/7 without a phase change setup and if you do anything that loads all 8 cores for any amount of time it's all out the window.
reasonable is 5.2-5.4.
my file server is an 8350 at 5.2 ghz, I can get away with this because it really, pretty much does nothing all day.
and I do it for the same reason you want to do it.... I go fast, not because I want to but, because nobody else will.
and if you think your going to make me look all Nancy boy, you had better think twice, 5.4 is only a mouse click away!!!!!!!

if I want to do any real work at all, with the rad the case will hold I have to drop back to 4.8.

I built a rig at my last house that had the radiator mounted and sealed into a window that had air blowing over it that was roughly -30C, venting out of the house. I was able to push my 965 to very high clocks that were 24/7 stable. But I ran in to lots of other issues - Finding a water mix that didn't either freeze or gunk up blocks/pumps (and I was draining/cleaning/refilling like every week), and lots of condensation issues inside my case and on the MB. When I moved, I decided it just wasn't worth it. Too much work to set it all up and keep it running, not to mention my electric bill went up like $10 a month with that setup. And my 6700k overclocked with just a basic water loop probably outperforms it with anything I run day-to-day.

The Air? I think he is from a bit further North in the US. :)

That said, -22F is freakin COLD... not sure that state gets that cold often!

The reason I'm asking is he stated that the rad was sealed in the window and the air was venting out of the house. I read that as he is cooling it then exhausting to the outside. Maybe I'm reading it wrong and he's actually just hanging the rad out the window like us???

The Air? I think he is from a bit further North in the US. :)

That said, -22F is freakin COLD... not sure that state gets that cold often!

We hit -22F often in winter (not for long stretches just a few days here and there), and it is brutal!
A few winters past it was so cold for so long that one of our large, fast moving rivers froze solid about a foot deep. I have pictures of 8000lb trucks driving on it and helicopters landing on it. It was a very cold, and very fun winter.

Blaydog said:
Jeff May I ask what was cooling the air to -30C?
It was a home-built contraption, using a home-built phase change system. I had access to a lot of "used but free" supplies from old appliances to make the setup, as well as some friends with very impressive welding skills. The idea was to use the frigid air to cool a radiator, with hopes of dissipating the heat through the radiator instead of at the block and preventing too much condensation. As you can probably imagine, once the loop got cold enough it still condensated at the block and fittings. I've got pictures of it somewhere, it was a very large, very ugly setup but I definitely hit some serious marks on the overclocking.

6GHz 24/7 isn't going to happen. Only one person I know who runs an FX-9590 on SS and he's at 5.5GHz 24/7.
The freezer works and I have validated a couple FX CPU at 6.0+ but the cooling power leaves pretty quickly (1-2 hours depending) and soon you're left with a cool loop and CPU idles in the positive not negatives anymore.

It will heat soak. A realistic time frame would be in the 2 hour range. Probably not even that. For 5 gig 24/7 all you really need is good high end watercooling.

What you think is the best high end watercooling for OC?

What case are you using?

For that chip you are really gonna want at least 360 worth of rad.

If you are looking to use something like in the above link you are going to want to do a custom loop.

You can check out performance pcs for most water cooling gear.

If you are thinking out doing custom water I would suggest you start by reading the beginners water cooling guide.

What case are you using?

For that chip you are really gonna want at least 360 worth of rad.

If you are looking to use something like in the above link you are going to want to do a custom loop.

You can check out performance pcs for most water cooling gear.

If you are thinking out doing custom water I would suggest you start by reading the beginners water cooling guide.

Thanks for the Excellent help and links :) I don't think we could have said it any better. :thup:

For extended cooling like that your best outcome that will cost well under $10,000 US will likely be a phase change cooler. Here is an old guide on how to build one. Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone selling one pre-built but be warned there are some bad builds out there.

The top option by far right now would be LnL coolings LN2 set-up. But you're approaching that $10k mark not including the LN2 that's needed.

Why on earth are you dropping 10K on a phase change? A simple single stage unit can be purchased premade for $250-400 I have had like 3 in that price range.

Back