• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Cooling the radiator with a freezer

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Dzonson

Registered
Can I put the water cooling radiator into the mini fridge, I just need to make 2 holes for the water tubes to come in.
Will it make cpu temp cooler, and by how much, what is the equivalence?

For short bursts yes it would help, however eventually the condenser would not be able to keep up as there is no way to exhaust the heat that would build up.

Not necessarily so. Several years ago I looked into obtaining a scientific freezer, rated @ -40°C, used $400, and figured out the basics of components & pass-through wiring and submitted it to a couple of friends that are capable of intelligently chiming in; they said that it would work at about the difference of the ambient and freezer design temps divided by two. Very roughly. Depends on system config. In my setup, running 24/7 @ -9°C. The freezer was 'frost proof' according to the spec sheet. And ran off a 110v power source. But the walls were laced with coolant tubing from looking at the schematics, making hole cutting a tricky affair. I ended the thought until now. Maybe someone else can offer more insight?

So basically if the ambient temp is 20°C and freezer temp is 2°C the cpu temp would be 9°C, would that be enough to oc a cpu from 5ghz at 36°C idle to 6ghz?

I don't think that is the kind of fridge he was referring to in the OP.

There are way to many variables to give you a yes or no answer to that. The biggest would be whether or not the CPU is even capable of 6Ghz. Most are not.

It's the FX-9590 4.7GHz - at stock speed, at turbo 5ghz. But I disabled turbo and put him to be 5ghz all the time which he is running idle at 36-38°C.

are you looking to run this day to day or simply trying to validate a 6 ghz overclock and then go back to normal usage?

For extended cooling like that your best outcome that will cost well under $10,000 US will likely be a phase change cooler. Here is an old guide on how to build one. Sometimes you can get lucky and find someone selling one pre-built but be warned there are some bad builds out there.

The top option by far right now would be LnL coolings LN2 set-up. But you're approaching that $10k mark not including the LN2 that's needed.

It's the FX-9590 4.7GHz - at stock speed, at turbo 5ghz. But I disabled turbo and put him to be 5ghz all the time which he is running idle at 36-38°C.
Idle temp means nothing. What's the temp after say an hour of prime95?
6 gig 24/7 ain't happening no matter the cooling solution. That is a pipe dream..........a crack pipe dream.

Idle temp means nothing. What's the temp after say an hour of prime95?
6 gig 24/7 ain't happening no matter the cooling solution. That is a pipe dream..........a crack pipe dream.

Ok, but how cooler would it be for 5ghz 36°C to be cooled the way I stated in the thread question?

It will heat soak. A realistic time frame would be in the 2 hour range. Probably not even that. For 5 gig 24/7 all you really need is good high end watercooling.

Less than the running fridge by itself.
You'd be better off just dumping the rad in a bucket of ice water. Even then, a couple hours max.

Can I ask why 5GHZ is inadequate and why you feel the need to run at 6GHZ?

What application will this be for?

Back