• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Controlling fans on a fan hub?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Helgaiden

My buddy bought one of these Silverstone fan hubs : https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I

He wanted a way to control his fans, or have the motherboard do it, instead of all of them running at full blast. His motherboard only has 1 free header other than the CPU header, so a fan hub was needed to get his 5 120mm fans up and running. I actually previously had them up running using 3pin to molex adapters. Either way, when all was said and done it was very very loud. I tried configuring speedfan on his setup to try to voltage control the header the fan hub was connected to, to try to slow them down. No luck. Makes sense considering its pulling power from its own power connector.

So i came across these wires that have a resistor in them to bring them down to 7v which is like a "medium" setting i take it.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B007PPHKO2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_sX36xbBFQYCVE

I advised to plug one of those in between each fan and its connector on the fan hub, as opposed to one of those wired between the fan hub and the hub's power (too much for that little resistor to handle i figured, with 5 fans running off it instead of 1). That gave me another idea then....a potentiometer or a rheostat wired in between the fan hub and the hub's power. However, the only solutions i found to this idea seemed to point that usage of a pot/rheo should be limited to just 1 per fan. I could be wrong, just cant seem to find as much info as I'd like.

Anyways, do you guys have any suggestions? Im thinking the most straightforward solution is using each fan speed reducer cable in between each fan and its plug on the fan hub. However this thing also caught my eye....
https://www.amazon.com/Evercool-Twi...76276&sr=1-2&keywords=evercool+fan+controller

Maybe this thing could be used between the hub and its power?

Have you tried using the motherboard software?

What are the system specs? What fans?

I got one of these controlling 10 fans ( 6x 120's & 4x 140's) off the mobo PWM fanheader. It's powered by a sata plug from the psu. I can set a fancurve in the bios and have it set to CPU temps.

Have you tried using the motherboard software?

What are the system specs? What fans?

Software wasn't working. The hub is plugged into a secondary 4-pin PWM header but the fans plugged into the hub are only 3 pin. The fans are 4x Corsair AF120 red LED fans, and 1x Rosewill 120mm red LED fan.
Motherboard is MSI H81m-E33 with an i3-4170, 8gb ram, and an RX480.

I got one of these controlling 10 fans ( 6x 120's & 4x 140's) off the mobo PWM fanheader. It's powered by a sata plug from the psu. I can set a fancurve in the bios and have it set to CPU temps.

Discovered that one after the fact and it would likely work considering it basically modulates a 4pin pwm signal into voltage control for 3 pin fans. Now i guess my friend just wants to work with the hub he has because he doesn't want to fiddle with returning stuff and having to deal with that process i guess.

Last edited:
If the fans are only 3-pin you won't control them with the hub...

Go buy 4-pin fans or a voltage fan controller.

If the fans are only 3-pin you won't control them with the hub...

Go buy 4-pin fans or a voltage fan controller.

Decided to go with the resistor cables to use in conjunction with the fan hub. $6.50 and amazon prime, simple solution, hard to deny.

However, the fans are brand new as he just bought them (the corsair ones at least) and so is the hub so buying all new stuff to replace all new stuff wasn't really an option. I did mention finding a way to regulate voltage for control (potentiometer/rheostat on the power connector between the hub and the PSU) but its probably along the lines of overcomplicating the solution when those resistor cables will work just fine for the scenario here.

ATM, by any chance is there a voltage fan controller you would recommend buying?

Last edited:
There are a lot of good fan controllers out there, most mount in the 5.25" bay. Lamptron and NZXT come to mind first.

There are a lot of good fan controllers out there, most mount in the 5.25" bay. Lamptron and NZXT come to mind first.

Yeah i seen plenty of 5.25 bay controllers. For cases that have it, i think the 3.5" bay controllers look better (all the cheap ones on amazon are blue LED so they clash with any theme other than blue).

But what if someone wants to keep clean wiring inside the case (which sort of discounts the PCI slot controllers) and keep a clean outside look to the case?

use the CPU fan header, and have it set to PWM on BIOS
you still need 4p pwm fans to work with that hub, though

Back