• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

32gb Corsair Veangance Pro ddr3 2400ghz won't run at 2400ghz- What to do?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

twoleftthumbs

Registered
I can only get my 4 stick of 8gb memory to run at 2200mhz.
Yes I understand the difference is negligible but darned it if i'm spending more than $1,000.00
for a computer upgrade, I want perfection. If it says 2400mhz I want it to run at 2400mhz.

On the advise of Asrock I tested each stick individually and they all ran singly at
2400 mhz.

Then I tested them in 16gb Dual Channel and they also ran flawlessly at 2400mhz

But when I try to run 32gb, all 4 at 2400mhz OCT detects a CPU Error after 6 seconds.

I've tried everything with timings and voltages so let's not get into trouble shooting

I believe that there could be three causes
1. The Mother Board Simply won't do it.
2. The Modules which were bought as 2 16gb packs are slightly out of tune
3. The fault is with the memory compatibility with my motherboard.

So these are my options
1. Buy a 32gb set of the same ram. Since sold as 32gb set they are going to be less variations
in timings
2. Buy different Brand available to me is the PNY Anarchy 2400 or PNY Anarchy 2666
both sold in 16 gb packages made up of two 8gb modules

I'm limited in options because these are available at my local Frys and it's easy to return if I have issues.
Well not so easy, I have to travel 40 minutes each way to get to Frye's.

So which do you all think is the best choice.?

System Rig
Asrock Fatality Z97x Killer Motherboard
I-7 4790k CPU
Gigabyte Gamer1 GTX 980-TI Video Card
Corsair Veangance Pro Series DDR3 2400mhz
EVGA 1000 Watt Power Supply

Last edited:
Did you bump the memory controller voltage up?
Are all four sticks the same model?
Are you using the XMP settings for the RAM?
Is the DRAM voltage correct?

2. The Modules which were bought as 2 16gb packs are slightly out of tune

I think you can scratch this off your list. This is highly unlikely and in my experience isn't the case. I have two 2x8GB 3200MHz LPX Vengeance kits running together just fine. Not to mention countless kits that I have mixed and matched in the past.

I'd look closer in your BIOS and would be more skeptical of the motherboard. If you want to avoid dealing with troubleshooting your motherboard your only other choice is to return the RAM at Fry's for a replacement to verify that it isn't the memory. I think though that you'll end up with the same results and in the long run will have to look closer at your motherboard.

It is possible you have a bad memory slot. If you haven't already, I'd try running them 2 at a time in all 4 slots available to test the slots. I know you've already tested 16GB in two slots, so now you just need to make sure the other 2 slots are working OK.

Did you bump the memory controller voltage up?
Are all four sticks the same model?
Are you using the XMP settings for the RAM?
Is the DRAM voltage correct?

1. Yes all the same model
2. Yes XMP Setting 1.3 for Ram
3. Yes Dram voltage is correct and I experimented with overvolting
mild and severe overvolting
No Luck !

Could be helpful to know which mobo ya have.

You are right, I had to close down my google and redo this email thought I had put the system build on the bottom
System Rig
Asrock Fatality Z97x Killer Motherboard
I-7 4790k CPU
Gigabyte Gamer1 GTX 980-TI Video Card
Corsair Veangance Pro Series DDR3 2400mhz
evga 1000 Watt Power Supply

Great Question.
Identical Part numbers etc...
the SN are 1500 modules apart
1st identical ends with 4367
2nd Identical ends with 5875

On the sticks themselves, under the "CMY16GX3M2A2400C11R" is size (16 GB 2x8) speed (2400) timings (11 13 13 31) voltage (1.65v) and ver (?.??)

Just tryin' to ascertain if these two kits are running ic's from the same manufacturer, shouldn't really matter...but :shrug:

Last edited:
Bump up the Memory controller (System Agent) voltage .1-.15 and see if it works.

I"ll try it. I'm at work and can 't see my bios settings.

Are there any abbreviations or different ways of saying "Memory Controller (System Agent)"
I don't remember seeing it in my UEFI Bios.

1. Yes all the same model
2. Yes XMP Setting 1.3 for Ram
3. Yes Dram voltage is correct and I experimented with overvolting
mild and severe overvolting
No Luck !

So did you bump the memory controller voltage?
AKA System Agent Voltage (VCCSA)

So did you bump the memory controller voltage?
AKA System Agent Voltage (VCCSA)

I'll try that at around 5:30pm PST
At work and this is my home rig.

I'll be sure to come back in and relay if it works.
It certainly makes sense.

I ran in to a problem following your instructions.
Bump up the Memory controller (System Agent) voltage .1-.15 and see if it works.
My Bios gave me the choice of -1 to +1 but didn't tell me what it was at. I played with it a little then gave up in disgust.

I went to Fry's returned the modules and bought two sets of PNY Anarchy Cl12 DDR3 2666 Modules [8X4]
The Corsair Modules were CL11.

I installed them. I did one thing different this time. I made sure that each pair was matched on the same channel.
I don't know if that helped but it did remove a variable. My motherboard went into bios and immediately recognized and switched the XMP settings to 2666.
I rebooted and went into Windows.

Rock solid stable
Passed OCCT Small Medium and Large

Passed 5 minutes of Prime Large Blends and Medium Blends.

Also ran IntelBurn a linpack derivate on very high and it passed
interestingly enough it was around 2 seconds slower per minute then the other ram and
I was a little bummed.

Then I Ran PC Mark FireStrike
My previous score was 14800 my new score is 15,300 so I'm a happy camper.

I think that the problem is that my memory timing settings werent' compatible with the Motherboard
substituting ram running on looser timings solved the problem.

Thank you all for your help.

Last edited:
Back