• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Time to get rid of my note 4, any advice?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

kamran

HI. My note 4 is making me insane with all the lag!

I do the following:

Listen to music with my HD 518 on low volumes (I can just buy a dac btw)

Browse the net like crazy :D

I also keep my phones for long so OTA updates are important

I want a high quality display but I don't care about resolution!

WiFi is important to me too because I have a parrot bebop! I also want Lte and 5ghz WiFi!

LG v20 sounds amazing but their quality control worries me. I also rather save as much money as I can! (It's 800$ AFAIK 0_0)

Pixel sounds amazing in every aspect other than non removable battery and dac(I can buy an external DAC)

I rather pay the least I can because I'm saving money! I was even thinking of buying a cheap phone like nexus 5x

Anyone can give me advice on what I should buy?

Last edited:
Well, IMO the Nexus 5X would make a good buy, been happy with mine so far.

Thanks! Any reason to buy a higher end phone like v20-htc 10-pixel instead???
Will I needed a DAC btw? My phone will be my only device for 8 months :/

Edit: ouch, Nexus 5x doesn't have SD card slot or a 64gb version! What do you think of HTC 10?! It has basically everything for a cheap price! It looks beautiful too ;)

Last edited:
I've been having some troubles getting my girlfriends Note 4 to run well too... I think we are just hitting the end of the line. Since they just released the Note 7 and phone releases are becoming rapid fire I think these older phones just can't handle the updates.

I have purposefully kept my S5 Active on a custom rom (TMS5) that locks it at 5.0 for these reasons. OTA updates seem to do more harm than not in my experience. Every few months I still have to flash myself back to a DeOdexed stock rom and re-flash TMS5 just to get the phone working like brand new.

I'm looking at the Nexus 6p or waiting on what the verdict will be on the Pixel phones. I was never a fan of HTC, but I'd rather get an HTC phone over Huawei (just not enough of them out there to gauge realistic reliability and longevity IMO). It would be a gamble if I sprung for the 6p because I'd probably be purchasing 3 of them. I want to get my mother, girlfriend, and myself off of our AT&T plans and onto Google Project Fi. It'll be considerably cheaper and each phone will have paid themselves off in less than a year.

Pixel Specs are looking to be:

5.5in QHD 2560x1440 pixel resolution
Qualcomm Snapdragon 820 processor
Adreno 530 GPU, 4GB RAM
32GB of onboard storage.
Camera 13MP primary sensor with an 8MP secondary for selfies on the front
Android 7.0 Nougat
Battery –3,450mAh.

You might want to go with the HTC 10 if you're not worried about getting on Google Fi - sadly the Pixel phones from what I can find do not have SD Card slots (ouch :().

I'd wait till tomorrow to see how the launch of the Pixel phones go and watch the headlines over the next few weeks before deciding what to do.

If you don't know of it - a good place to look at phones on is http://www.gsmarena.com/

I've been having some troubles getting my girlfriends Note 4 to run well too... I think we are just hitting the end of the line. Since they just released the Note 7 and phone releases are becoming rapid fire I think these older phones just can't handle the updates.

I have purposefully kept my S5 Active on a custom rom (TMS5) that locks it at 5.0 for these reasons. OTA updates seem to do more harm than not in my experience. Every few months I still have to flash myself back to a DeOdexed stock rom and re-flash TMS5 just to get the phone working like brand new.

I'm looking at the Nexus 6p or waiting on what the verdict will be on the Pixel phones. I was never a fan of HTC, but I'd rather get an HTC phone over Huawei (just not enough of them out there to gauge realistic reliability and longevity IMO). It would be a gamble if I sprung for the 6p because I'd probably be purchasing 3 of them. I want to get my mother, girlfriend, and myself off of our AT&T plans and onto Google Project Fi. It'll be considerably cheaper and each phone will have paid themselves off in less than a year.

Adreno 530 GPU, 4GB RAM
32GB of onboard storage.
Android 7.0 Nougat
Battery –3,450mAh.

You might want to go with the HTC 10 if you're not worried about getting on Google Fi - sadly the Pixel phones from what I can find do not have SD Card slots (ouch :().

I'd wait till tomorrow to see how the launch of the Pixel phones go and watch the headlines over the next few weeks before deciding what to do.

If you don't know of it - a good place to look at phones on is http://www.gsmarena.com/

Yeah I think the same!
Funny thing, I'm always on gsmarena :D my name is Gibbs there :p
I can't wait till tomorrow!

And I wouldn't worry about audio quality anymore as I got my PC back!

Adreno 530 GPU, 4GB RAM
32GB of onboard storage.
Android 7.0 Nougat
Battery –3,450mAh.

ehm... I watched the live stream yesterday... a nexus 5x/htc 10 would be lovely!
it's all great. but... 870$? really? I rather just buy v20 for 800$. and the VR sounded amazing but the reviews say the controller has a subtle lag. which is disappointing!

Both the HTC10 and 5X retail at $500. I wouldn't be suprised if you could find them on sale soon enough for $400 - I'm pretty sure there was a Newegg sale a month ago that dropped the 5X into the low 400s.

I haven't been following VR. Not a fan to be honest. If I'm going to get anything to do with a headset it'll be the Hololens. I'm a firm believer that AR (Augmented Reality) is going to be a far superior technology over Virtual Reality. I'm sure both will have their markets, but AR is going to have far more applications and Microsoft has dumped plenty of resources into making it what it should be since Google face planted miserably with the Google Glass.

Also I wouldn't buy a phone at $800 - they never retain their value. Smartphones are worse than cars and with how rapid fire the releases come they lose value exponentially the moment you buy them. The sweet spot right now is to buy a device 6months to 1 year old and then sell it a year later while it still has some value. Then do the same thing again based on the market a year later.

The only reason I've had my S5 for so long is because it was the last phone I got from AT&T before they hiked up their plans to eventually cost you the full $800 cost of the phone. That's another reason I don't want to be tied to a carrier any longer. The fees they've added to the plans now make it so you eventually pay the full price of the phone and you no longer get the "deal" of purchasing a newly released phone at $200-300.

Seeing how Apple, LG, and Google/HTC have all released major phones this fall has pushed me further into waiting till after Christmas unless I see a deal I know I won't be able to beat. The hard part for me is the limit of which phones work on Google Fi - and it doesn't look like the Pixel devices have made it on that list.

I'm still sporting the Note 4 myself.. I went and got a 7 when it came out, but now I'm back on the 4 waiting for my next phone. While LG has had some mishaps in the past, I am leaning myself on the v20 unless I want to hold out until Feb or so when the S8 will likely be released.

Reasons to go v20.. my own reasons that is. DAC, camera, removable battery (i've already gone through 2 on my note), extra SD storage (sd cards are way cheaper than built-in memory). The LG layouts are kind of cartoonish compared to some others, but it might be just something to get used to.. I mean.. I went from no smart phone to a S3, then to Note 4.. so the screens were always sharp and layouts clean.

I dont like that the camera doesnt support RAW image files, but I can cope.. I'm not an expert, but have used it in the past sometimes for the good photos. It doesn't have a stylus, but I honestly only used it like 15% of the time if that.

HTC has some nice lineups atm and the droid moto pure (few of my friends have) sounds very good on the audio side as well as not having a buncha bloated software preinstalled.

Have you considered rooting & flashing? Most Samsung phones are really, really hard to brick because of a program called Odin. That thing will detect your phone as long as you can turn it on & have the right drivers installed on your computer. I used to have Samsung, and never had an issue with bricking any phones. You may want to check your options on XDA Forums. There are lots of options...reload a stock system, get a de-bloated stock system, get a custom ROM (phone OS), etc. It's a good place to do research when it comes to android devices.

Unless someone cracked it in the last 6 months you can't root the Note 4 unless you have an international version - and even then the amount of roms available is pretty thin.

There's been a 20k+ bounty on cracking the Verizon and ATT versions for as long as I can recall.

I recently got a Le Pro 3 and at $300 after instant rebate, it's less than half the price of the Pixel for very similar specs. It even includes a pretty decent USB-C DAC in the box.

Did you get yourself a new phone? I just picked up the V20 earlier this week, and I have to say I'm loving it. I was between the V20 and Pixel, and the DAC plus free H3 headphones sold me. If you haven't already, check out the deal here.

Did you get yourself a new phone? I just picked up the V20 earlier this week, and I have to say I'm loving it. I was between the V20 and Pixel, and the DAC plus free H3 headphones sold me. If you haven't already, check out the deal here.

Sorry, for some reason i wasn't getting notifications, I was sad thinking this thread is dead :D

no, But I'm going to, the V20 came in my country for a shocking price today. ONLY 600$? that can't be right.... it's 800$ on amazon! it's the dualsim version (H990ds).
as it's the same price as the htc 10 I don't see why I should buy the htc 10!

- - - Updated - - -

Have you considered rooting & flashing? Most Samsung phones are really, really hard to brick because of a program called Odin. That thing will detect your phone as long as you can turn it on & have the right drivers installed on your computer. I used to have Samsung, and never had an issue with bricking any phones. You may want to check your options on XDA Forums. There are lots of options...reload a stock system, get a de-bloated stock system, get a custom ROM (phone OS), etc. It's a good place to do research when it comes to android devices.

Yes I've done that, it still lags and everything. and it does reset randomly too :( and I don't think I can download a rom. And as my phone also has a broken camera I won't bother :D I need a new one! (it came broken! )

- - - Updated - - -

I'm still sporting the Note 4 myself.. I went and got a 7 when it came out, but now I'm back on the 4 waiting for my next phone. While LG has had some mishaps in the past, I am leaning myself on the v20 unless I want to hold out until Feb or so when the S8 will likely be released.

Reasons to go v20.. my own reasons that is. DAC, camera, removable battery (i've already gone through 2 on my note), extra SD storage (sd cards are way cheaper than built-in memory). The LG layouts are kind of cartoonish compared to some others, but it might be just something to get used to.. I mean.. I went from no smart phone to a S3, then to Note 4.. so the screens were always sharp and layouts clean.

I dont like that the camera doesnt support RAW image files, but I can cope.. I'm not an expert, but have used it in the past sometimes for the good photos. It doesn't have a stylus, but I honestly only used it like 15% of the time if that.

HTC has some nice lineups atm and the droid moto pure (few of my friends have) sounds very good on the audio side as well as not having a buncha bloated software preinstalled.

Yeah, althought the lg v20 is superior in every aspect and amazing, i was thinking of buying HTC 10 just for the faster updates and cleaner OS!
oh and I'm never going near samsung again, I had 3 samsung phones all of them were incredibly terrible! not to mention the lag (even on s7) and the display's purple ghosting! (AMOLEDs have purple ghosting, noone talks about it either... which is weird but it's still present, I've showed it to people with samsung phones, all of them said they've never noticed it before, but it's pretty obvious!)

Should I worry about buying the H990DS version? I don't know why but it seems it might have problems Dual-sim doesn't sound good! I'm afraid I won't receive software updates! And not being able to root sounds scary although I don't think I need it :D

Also moto z in available in my country too, for 600$~ maybe I should buy it :? Maybe I should spent a huge amount of money and buy my first iPhone?!

Last edited:
I was going to buy it today and they ran out of stock.

But I'm worried about camera shattering (shattergate) should I worry and buy s7 edge or just not care?

Back