• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

CPU cooling Noctua D14 sits a little angled, is that bad?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

vanAndesen

Registered
Hello Overclockers

Just got my new rig home and took out the ½ of the Harddisk tower from the case, an R5.
I noticed that the Noctua D14 "block" was sitting somewhat angled and not straight on the motherboard.
Should I be concerned about this?

20160930_171524.jpg 20160930_171534.jpg 20160930_171540.jpg 20160930_171545.jpg

Ehhh, is it bent???

So long as the base is making proper contact with the cpu, it shouldn't make a difference (assuming heatpipes are still properly connected to the fin array).

Ehhh, is it bent???

So long as the base is making proper contact with the cpu, it shouldn't make a difference (assuming heatpipes are still properly connected to the fin array).

Yeah, bent a little, but when I softly push a it, it seems like it is firmly in place.
This is my first ever aftermarket CPU cooler, so I'm not sure what to expect.
Just I get edgy when things seem out of place, when it comes to newly bought stuff in general.

holy crap, maybe htey bent it so that it would clear the side of the case? did you just buy that computer? if so id take it back to where you bought it from and see what the heck is up, that some BS.

Did you assemble or did you purchase the computer assembled?
If you purchased it assembled, was it online and shipped or in person?

Did you assemble or did you purchase the computer assembled?
If you purchased it assembled, was it online and shipped or in person?

Online Purchase and they did the assembly, I picked it up a a pick-up point.
It is running now and I am installing software drivers and so.
I've send them the pictures asking into the position of the cooler, but so far I am detecting nothing wrong.
Should I have waited until next week and called them, maybe, but so far nothing seems wrong except for the angle.

Definitely should not be bent, I would be shipping it back.

Definitely should not be bent, I would be shipping it back.

I will call them monday and have a talk with them.
It will take me around 1½ hour to drive to their store.
It is just really pissing me off, I just got this rig and had set almost the entire weekend to handle every software installation and so on.

Netdrivers are installed now and I am currently using it.

First thing I would do is check the temps. Make sure it's seated properly. At that angle it almost appears to be hung up on the ram or something.

OP, your rear fan seems to blow as the opposite of your heatsink fans.
this can messed up the temps even if the heatsink is seated properly.

if you had any prior experience with mounting this heatsink, maybe you want try to remount it.
else, I'd look for help, if it was me.

Well, since the warranty sits with the retailer, I am not going to work on it.
Good spotted on the back fan, I will look at that and mention it to the retailer.

I got a closer look at the cooler and it may look like it was angled on purpose to avoid it resting on the memory blocks.
I kinda hope that is the case, but will not know before monday.

Well, since the warranty sits with the retailer, I am not going to work on it.
Good spotted on the back fan, I will look at that and mention it to the retailer.

I got a closer look at the cooler and it may look like it was angled on purpose to avoid it resting on the memory blocks.
I kinda hope that is the case, but will not know before monday.

I personally wouldn't take bending the heastsink as an excuse to solve the clearance issue, they should tell their customer in the first place if the heatsink wouldn't make the clearance.

I mean, c'mon...
there're more options to take rather than being a metal bender, such as:
swapping the RAM with anything which has the standard height or even trade the mobo with RAM slots placed further to the right are more sensible options to take.
even picking another heatsink is far more easy than anything else, for God sake.

I'd use it (for the weekend) if temps are within reason, but that is terrible build quite there. They blew it and don't know what the heck they are doing if that was their solution....

You better get something for driving that far to return it though....

I'd use it (for the weekend) if temps are within reason, but that is terrible build quite there. They blew it and don't know what the heck they are doing if that was their solution....

You better get something for driving that far to return it though....

Well I was guessing on the memory thing, but after a little digging yesterday it could not be the case. And there is no clearance issue to the case side. The case is large enough and even larger than my old one by 2".

I am looking at the rig here and some thanks to those who gave me feedback while tweaking the parts list.

Then it's just broken and shouldn't be that way. I'd return it to them to fix.

Yeah, I'll set the system up over the weekend and then call them first thing monday.
Its not as silent, the case in general, as I was expecting, but I also have not worked on the fan settings, will wait with that, but in standard work mode, installing drivers and so, its only at 38c max, that is very cool.

Back