• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

New $2500 Build

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
2.97 listed in the "Beta Zone" ;)

Theres a kenny loggins joke here somewhere....

@wingman and OP, bios flashing is REALLY easy to do.

That said, I saw the 6800k on the QVL for the extreme6, and given its reputation, I went with that as merely a "this is a good option" not necessarily "this is the best option". By all means, with the money you're spending, a higher tier motherboard is certainly justifiable.

Theres a kenny loggins joke here somewhere....

@wingman and OP, bios flashing is REALLY easy to do.

That said, I saw the 6800k on the QVL for the extreme6, and given its reputation, I went with that as merely a "this is a good option" not necessarily "this is the best option". By all means, with the money you're spending, a higher tier motherboard is certainly within budget.
Fixed. :p

Thanks again guys for all the responses about everything. Since I don't have much of a budget constraint, is there any mobo you could recommend that might be a bit easier with this problem? I'd prefer not to have to mess around with flashing the bios, but it would be no problem if it was necessary. Maybe something like the Asus X99 Strix Gaming? I see that the Asus X99 deluxe is $80 more expensive, but my technological prowess limits me from understanding how this would benefit me. Would prefer not to spend an extra $100 if the difference won't be noticeable.

As for the cases, will probably go with the recommendation of the Fractal Define case. I have a fractal define r5 case for another build that I have made, and it seems to be a lot less dusty on the inside now that I bothered to check it! :D I'll make sure to empty the dust filters too, now that I'm thinking of it!

thanks again guys.

You can find that information out by looking at the board's webpage...

Yes, it supports it with BIOS 2.97 and newer: http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99 Extreme6ac/?cat=CPU

Worst case is you have to flash with the broadwell chip in there. Typically it will work, but functions are limited until you update the BIOS. The REAL question is where do you get the L2.97 bios as it isn't listed on their page?!!!

I read reviews were people had to send there board in to ASrock for a Bios update when it would not boot with X99 broadwell CPU.

Here is one 8/1/2016
Cons: BIOS chip in Newegg Inventory is way out of date - Ships with P1.20 BIOS instead of P1.90 BIOS
ASRock won't reply to me regarding getting latest BIOS chip shipped or replace. Second request ignored.
Won't even enter POST, much less BIOS routine
Spent $2800 for this system and it is worthless at the moment.
Next to impossible to get any support either from Newegg or ASRock
Second motherboard same problem. Second Intel i7-6850 doesn't work either. Second set of DDR4 RAM doesn't work either.
Extremely disappointed. Built very similar ASRock system with Intel i7 4790K and worked perfectly.
Newegg inventory is old and will not work on new Intel released products.

I did say "typically". There are typically exceptions for everything. ;)

It also depends on the board, the inventory, and where you got it from as to what bios is on the boards they have in stock. My asrock x99 OC Formula didn't have an issue flashing with broadwell-e in it. :)

It's also now closer to November, so who know what bios they are getting now. That said, there are two reviews which state that so, perhaps it's best to stay away from THIS board.

Last edited:
This is what I was trying to get at with my original post with this board.;) I have had problems before with not being able to update Bios with a newer Processor revision.

It is hit and miss. I guess i have yet again been lucky. ;)

Glad you searched and found information on this board.

Back