• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time build Have a few questions if you have the time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
You added system agent voltage?

Do all four sticks work? Meaning, you can see two, have you swapped out sticks in working slots?

Is that memory on their QVL list?

Have you reached out to asus?

I have yet to over clock the CPU I know that's the first thing that should be done but I don't want to screw it up. There are so many options and I am not an overclocker buy any means I'm still researching this as I don't want rush it and just assume anything at this point as it could cost me a lot of time or money .one of my biggest problems is that I can't find a lot of stuff on this exact i7 6850k as far as over clocking templates to get started.
Also the memory is not on the list I believe for the sabertooth x99 2400 MHz is the highest recommended ram for that motherboard same goes for the processor it also recommends only 2400mhz so I'm trying to decide if I should just send the ram back or keep it and mess with the overclocking of the CPU then mess with the ram and see if I can get it to work.
Even after the bios update tho every time I start up the PC and go into bios it's showing a different amount of sticks, last night when I shut it off it only saw 2 sticks this morning when I turned it on it saw 3 stick lol. And since I'm still learning it could be the overclock that not allowing my PC to see all the sticks, but once I put the correct 1.35 voltage into them it will probably see them I'm not sure tho. I work a lot haven't had much time so learning exactly what every setting does on my own is going to take quite some time, but I'm in it for the Long haul =)

Unless someone knows exactly every setting I should have and were it should go without missing a detail that could fry out my entire system, I'm on my own. I've got a couple recommendations from you and I appreciate it but when I get into bios and I start seeing setting like CPU strap and there was another one that lets you adjust ohm loads, many more settings I don't want to just jump the gun and change one or 2 things and then get frustrated when it doesn't work.... I don't know if that makes any sense .

Last edited:
We don't tell you to touch those other things because you don't need to. Honestly, all you need to mess with is core voltage, cpu multiplier, and possible the SA voltage. THat is it (outside of setting XMP profile).

I have already mentioned earlier why the CPU and board say 2400 Mhz... Also, I see PLENTY of kits well over 2400 MHz on the QVL list: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...sors.pdf?_ga=1.269061557.554767021.1470839226

...and your kit is on the list...

So I ask again (you really need to be sure you are answering the questions asked of you! :))... Did you reach out to ASUS? And to confirm you did add .1V or so of System Agent Voltage?

Have you tried loosening up the cooler just bit? Or reseating the CPU? Did you happen to notice any bent pins in the socket? I would do so at this point.

Since your memory appears to be on the QVL, at this point I would reach out to ASUS and see what they say (after you check loosen the heatsink and try, then remove the CPU and reseat - while checking for bent socket pins).

We don't tell you to touch those other things because you don't need to. Honestly, all you need to mess with is core voltage, cpu multiplier, and possible the SA voltage. THat is it (outside of setting XMP profile).

I have already mentioned earlier why the CPU and board say 2400 Mhz... Also, I see PLENTY of kits well over 2400 MHz on the QVL list: http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb...sors.pdf?_ga=1.269061557.554767021.1470839226

...and your kit is on the list...

So I ask again (you really need to be sure you are answering the questions asked of you! :))... Did you reach out to ASUS? And to confirm you did add .1V or so of System Agent Voltage?

Have you tried loosening up the cooler just bit? Or reseating the CPU? Did you happen to notice any bent pins in the socket? I would do so at this point.

Since your memory appears to be on the QVL, at this point I would reach out to ASUS and see what they say (after you check loosen the heatsink and try, then remove the CPU and reseat - while checking for bent socket pins).
Ok I see must have been a misunderstand some where because when I spoke with intel and asus directly they told me my ram was not compatible

Ok I see must have been a misunderstand some where because when I spoke with intel and asus directly they told me my ram was not compatible
I see the memory on the list for my board but I only see it for 16GB (4GB*4) not 32gb does this matter or no

Last edited by a moderator:
You are correct. It is the 16GB kit...

Get another one on the list that is compatible if that is what ASUS/Intel already said. :thup:

I'm wondering if it's socket pins that are the culprit with the erratic ram . Sometimes just pulling out the CPU and reseating it can fix that if the pin contact isn't correct. Check for bent ones while you're at it. Whether the ram is compatible or not it should still show 4 sticks IMO.
I would reseat the ram first though.

Last edited:
How's the Avexir core series ram? Is it any good? And if it is 4 packs are near impossible to get in green atm. And from what I read it's not a good idea to get 2 seaprate packs as they may not play nice, I really loved the look of the predator stick to bad they are on their way back tomorrow.

Thanks for all the input I ended up getting 2800 hyper x ram that was on the list and it works like a charm. I downed the 32gb to 16 gb of ram 4x4 pack everything is up and running.

I only have one Samsung 850 pro 1tb ssd on it as of now and every time I boot the computer it goes to bios instead of windows. I'll have to do some research on what to change in the boot tab of bios next.

I also got the ROCCAT Tyon mouse but the software is absolute garbage and the are being lazy on making compatible software for widows ten. Even after I follwed all the directions on excluding certain files for windows defender it still doesn't work. I spent 3 hours trying everyone's fixes and none seem to work..I sent roccat support a ticket hopfully they get back to me.

Also today I did a small overclock in asus's utility tool in windows and got a bench of like 1773 mark, but the cpu is still running cool @ 43C. I am wondering if I should pay someone to overclock it but that may be hard to find as well.
I was playing battlefield one for about and hour on my newly installed EVGA HB bridge and the computer just shut down instantly out of no where, it's got me thinking I may not have a big enough power supply for my system it's an 850w gold.
Only reason I'm thinking about paying someone to set it up from here is because I've never done any of this before and everything that I change in bios is a leap of faith and I know faith and science/technology do not mix well.

I am also going to have to learn how to force sli on certan games that do not support it.Wish I didn't have to work every day so I could spend a lot more time learning PC stuff.

Last edited:
Finally finished my set up took to long i work alot figured id share and thanks for all the help guys!
Redone the enitre loop again wasnt happy with the color or the bends.
Also Decided to just get a 60 hz 4k VA Samsung 43"KU6300panel for 400 instead of droping 800 on a 27 inch that i will only be able to get 60 hz out of anyways until the good stuff comes out figured it would be smarter then i can use the TV somewhere in the house when the good higher refresh rate monitors at 4k come out. So Far im not disapointed at all it has uhd colr and runs 60 hz at 4k and with SLI 1080 i havent noticed any tearing what so ever very happy with this panel for the price.

0d7dc3d1-30aa-42f3-95f8-d4c1a982a29d.jpg
E4E1BEC1-3E6F-4A10-874F-83A4FE4086EC.jpg
2F3FC5AF-8532-4ADC-B59C-95C223D315CB.jpg

Last edited:
not sure if this is a good thing? This is what i got after overclocking im new to all of this. i Ran the bench mark on my 43 inch 4k display. like i said maybe this bench is a gimmick maybe not im not sure maybe someone could chime in.
27F7031D-7E5E-4504-8EFC-328249D2B199.jpg

Back