• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

First Time build Have a few questions if you have the time.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

SwampGremlin

Registered
So im doing my first water cooling build i am copying somthing that i saw that i really liked its Wei Zheng & His Thermaltake Level 10 found @ http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/yidiy-wei-zheng-thermaltake-level-10.
So i have a parts list Found @ http://pcpartpicker.com/list/snLZcc
My question is, I know that the ram (which is found at the bottom of the parts list in custom parts) is not on the compatibility list the for the sabertooth x99 but for some reason i feel like it will work just fine but that is one of my concerns
I do work an awful lot but i do have everything mounted to the chassis already and it looks absolutely wonderful i know that not being original and building my own idea is not that great but its my first build and until i feel comfortably confident on all the parts and how everything works and what it looks like i would be going through alot of returns and headache with out a picture to study so for my first build i am building this set up.
The web site at nvida as far as parts go they are basicly incorrect about every single part listed in his build if you look at what they have listed and whats actually in the picture of the build its all completely wrong you will see what i mean if you read the article.

But as far as my parts list does this seem like it will be a decent machine for gaming and occasional editing (like a pro opinion on this) This is my first post at overclockers and just looking to get some feed back n parts choices as such any critique is appreciated as im open to all suggestions. As of now i am just waiting on the rest of the water cooling parts in the mail and will be taking everything off the chassis and taking it to my buddys shop to have him drill the holes thru the case for the pass thru fittings i will have all hard tube in the front and in the back where you cant see there will be black bitspower barbed fittings with tygon soft tube as its cheaper and easier to manage and it will not be seen any ways.
I will be adding pictures of it when it is completed to share but it will basicly look the same as the article so no wow factor there =)
Also wouldnt mind a monitor suggestion either as its the only thing im waiting to order as im kinda looking at the new LG 38" thats coming out the last time i did a build was 2009 and i want to do this build right.

Thanks for reading my post

Cheers!

This is what i have completed so far still a ways off.
EE07F713-18D5-47DE-94B6-297D27CBBA11.jpg

Last edited:
Welcome ! Awesome build!

So... I take you plan on gaming at 4k since you buying 2 1080s?

Did I read you list right, you are cooling both 1080s, the motherboard (useless except for looks), and the cpu with 2 240mm worth of radiator?? I would have went with 5x120mm total, but, you'please be ok, especially at stock.

Are you saying that i should get 4 k monitors with this set up or are you saying that i have to many radiators if im not overclocking im kind of lost your reply is very vague please help me understand
Thanks. yes i plan on installing 2x 1080 both cooled i thought when you cool things they run more efficient thus may last longer and function better is this correct. But i do want my PC to look cool thats kind of the reason im going this route i do plan on overclocking my cpu ect. I kind of think that you mean that my cooling is an overkill but i do not want to assume this please explaing thanks. The mother board is usless ? hmm not sure what to make of this reply more in depth please.

Last edited:
I'm saying buying 2 1080s is 4k territory. A single 1080 would happily drive your odd wide-screen res.

The second thought, they were two distinct thougts, was the amount of radiator size you have to cool your system. Can you clarify please which components you are going to cool?

I'm saying buying 2 1080s is 4k territory. A single 1080 would happily drive your odd wide-screen res.

The second thought, they were two distinct thougts, was the amount of radiator size you have to cool your system. Can you clarify please which components you are going to cool?

Yes, Thanks for your response. If you look at the link of the the thermal take level 10 i provided you can basically see what will be being cooled. i also realized i grabbed the wrong Radiators as the performance is very low for the price point fml i bought the bitspower ones. Maybe ill return the radiators and get the EK ones.
Also, could you recommend a good monitor for this set up i appreciate the feed back.:thup:

I looked at the link. Its not clear what exactly you are cooling, which is why I asked for you to clarify... :)

I thought you had a monitor in your link? I wouldn't go with that one simply because of its odd widescreen format honestly. For a solid gaming monitor, I would get this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

... and then drop to one 1080.

I would be cooling 2 gpu's and one cpu. Maybe since these radiators preformed so badly in performance testing i was reading, 2 of them may =1 performance wise

I don't think they performed that bad. Most rads are within a couple degrees C with each other...

Look at the Alphacool ST30 line for a radiator.

But before you decide on the radiator, you need to know what your heatload will be. Personally, I would get the monitor I looked at, and take away a 1080. If you need another in 3 years, get another. I wouldn't run multiple GPUs if you don't need it or don't have the wherewithal to troubleshoot its inherent problems.

I don't think they performed that bad. Most rads are within a couple degrees C with each other...

Look at the Alphacool ST30 line for a radiator.

But before you decide on the radiator, you need to know what your heatload will be. Personally, I would get the monitor I looked at, and take away a 1080. If you need another in 3 years, get another. I wouldn't run multiple GPUs if you don't need it or don't have the wherewithal to troubleshoot its inherent problems.

Yeah i was thinking that the drivers would update for the gpu and the sli problems would come to a head. My thinking was i was going to run 2 more of those ultra wide monitors eventually and have a wrap around effect for racing games and such im no computer wiz by anymeans as far as being a know all. My thoughts were that 2 gtx 1080's would power three ultra wides better than 1 of them.

The problem with 3 ultra wides is worse than 1. Some games do not support that ultra wide resolution so the image gets 'strectched'. Less games (none?) support 3x of those ultra wide screens.

2 1080s would power 3 of those, sure. But it just doesn't sound like something for you. I would go with a more standard monitor and supported resolution like this ASUS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

If you want three of those and game across them, then get 2 1080s.

So you chose another monitor with an odd resolution :)? Why not simply get something standard and well supported like a 4k monitor?

Asus PG27AQ comes to mind...

This video kind of inspired me and from what i read you can stick your nose on the screen of this monitor and not see any pixels at all.
I mean this video look very good on my 1080 ips at 60hz i could only imagine what it actually looks like on that monitor up close

All I am saying is that I would choose a more commonly supported resolution, like 4K and stay off the oddball ones that you seem so attracted to.

The problem with 3 ultra wides is worse than 1. Some games do not support that ultra wide resolution so the image gets 'strectched'. Less games (none?) support 3x of those ultra wide screens.

2 1080s would power 3 of those, sure. But it just doesn't sound like something for you. I would go with a more standard monitor and supported resolution like this ASUS: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236466

If you want three of those and game across them, then get 2 1080s.
Just curious but wouldnt i want to get a monitor with g sync instead of free sync if im running nvidia cards?
Im not an expert just making sure there is no misunderstanding before i drop a couple hundee because im actually consuidering this monitor you suggested as well i reall am startng to lean more to the ASUS MG279Q as i talk more with you and do more research.
Another question i have is if i had 2 gtx 1080 with this monitor you suggest would it increase the frame rate as well?

Last edited:
Another question if I may. Can 2 1080's with custom water loop run triple 4k displays like this one? You stated also I have I have 32 gb of ddr4 3200 MHz

No....not well at all....assuming you are talking gaming. If it's just desktop stuff, a single one would be fine.

You stated also I have I have 32 gb of ddr4 3200 MHz
Not sure what you are asking here...

The amount of system ram has nothing to do with the image on the screen if that is what you were saying?

No....not well at all....assuming you are talking gaming. If it's just desktop stuff, a single one would be fine.

Not sure what you are asking here...

The amount of system ram has nothing to do with the image on the screen if that is what you were saying?

Trust me alot of my statements may sound idiotic i have a lot to learn yet =)
You have been alot of help i appreciate it.

Well this was my first time bending rigid tube going to scrap it all and try again man it's tough wasn't able to find a bending cord to fit bitspower 14mm of tubing ID 11mm tried to used a wire that fit perfect not the same tho
E7181741-8030-4785-A077-600569934A16.jpg

Back