• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Need help with my first OC!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Yeah Im running 4/5 mods... I guess I just have to endure the drops then, and I will do the same Kenrou... I think I've got as good as Im going to get tho guys, thanks for all your help!!!

- - - Updated - - -

WOW Kenrou, 6144 GB.. you think you have enough there bud? ;)

Not lacking for space so why not take Windows recommendations for once and avoid problems like this :p

I'm sure that initially his page file was set by windows. I had him change it to see if it would help. It almost appears as Deathman said the game is a memory hog.

I used to have a 16gb swapfile when i had 8gb RAM (WinXP+Win7) and sometimes i saw it fill to 12gb+ when i was multitasking heavily, nowadays with Win8.1/Win10 its usually at 0% even with heavy loads. HWInfo64 tracks your memory details and i can't remember the last time i saw it go above 500mb.

Just quickly jumped on and got this error...
Close programs to prevent information loss - Your computer is low on memory. Save your files and close these programs:
Arma 3

I let windows automatically manage my page file that is best in case the application need more disc space it will expand, also it will contract if windows needs less.

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, my CPU usage is around 3% while running apps such as spotify, chrome and Skype...

- - - Updated - - -

It appears when I log out and back in, it fixes this issue... But I have only just noticed this, will test it when it happens again.

Sounds like a software problem.

I don't believe the page file shrinks automatically... at least not without reboouting at minimum. But even then, I recall with older versions of Windows, 7 maybe, that I would see my 30gb ssd with OS on it with less space. I'd have to manually set it so it wouldn't expand and give me some space back. Maybe that has changed... Google doesn't have much to say about it outside of server 2008 NOT shrinking it dynamically. A lack of any hits is also telling...

As far as I remember it needs a reboot to shrink back to decent sizes but this all revolves around Win8.1/Win10 being overall better at managing memory. The whole point of using a fixed swap file was saving space and to avoid the extra writes on the early SSD's (or put it on a spinner but that would make it much slower), nowadays...

Correct pagefile resizing needs to reboot to make it happen, even automatically it won't shrink it will just not use more space till the next reboot.
Though yes we typically say fixed page file so it doesn't go overkill which some apps can and will use as much space as physically possible. Not saying it will crash when it gets near the wall they just stop using more memory. I know some 3D programs are like that where it will just not load more data or load reduced data because of lacking memory. Not really great when your trying to engineer something.

But yes Arma is a ram hog. Its been a while since I loaded Arma 3 but i know early on there was a memory leak in the game which was rather extensive (might of been beta where it was really bad that I'm thinking of). I just know that game chews a bunch of ram, and then some. Mods, depending what they are, don't help the case.

Hello again, I have reset my page file to windows recommended, and the issue with Arma locking to 30fps is becoming more prominent... It seems unless I am scoped in on a target or slightly zoomed in I am stuck on around 30fps, which is really annoying now. Lowering my gfx settings in game does not change my fps from 30, also when I am halo jumping in from hight with my render distance on around 5K and object about 2.5K my frames are higher than when I am on the ground. Really confused as to why this is happening...

Should it be off?

- - - Updated - - -

For some reason when I try to get into control panel, I get an error and close programme report. I have disabled some stuff from startup and generally cleaned up my pc files, Im guessing I have disabled/deleted something I needed?

OK fixed this ^ issue, and turned V-sync off in control panel and in game and when I logged in there was an improvement... will write a bit more when I have chance to play later. Thanks for that tip tho! (Y)

Yeah thanks, Just come off from 3-4 hours of playing and the reason I re-activated V-Sync is because screen tearing really gets on my tits more than most, I just didnt realise it was at that point that the 30 fps thing came into play, which obviously annoyed me more... but yeh sitting pretty around 40-60 in 1440p now... which is a surprise to me with Arma! Got there in the end tho haha.
Ps. Thank you for being so helpfulful guys... all very informative and useful info! (Y)

If you use Adaptive V sync it won't drop down the FPS below the monitor refresh rate and it will help with screen tearing over 60FPS. Adaptive V sync turns off below the monitor refresh rate of 60Hz, that is how it works.

When enbled, Adaptive Vsync will ABSOLUTELY drop below your monitor's refresh rate (if you want to be technical it disables...)but it is always on in that it is waiting for that 60 fps threshold to limit fps Yes, it stops limiting fps below 60, but will pick right back up at 60+. The difference below 60 fps is regular vysnc chops your fps in multiples of the refresh rate causing a choppy exlerience when bouncing back and forth between those values versus adaptive which 'disables' below 60 fps and lets the fps run free.

Adaptive Vsync is not dropping the below your monitor's refresh rate, FPS is what drops below monitor refresh rate. I was just making it easy to understand for the OP.

Of course its the FPS dropping below the refresh rate... why would I need to say that??????? It should very well be understood.

Back