• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Dual or Continue to Use Single DDR3

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

2 1

Like the title says, I'm looking to upgrade to 32gb of Ram (overkill I know)

I'm using it for Fruity Loops And Video Encoding software, Light Gaming nothing serious other then that

I'm also getting a 1070gtx sometime in December.. so what's better single or dual ? I don't know much I'm currently using 8gb of G.Skill

How do you propose to get 32gb of ddr3 in single channel????? You cant. Ddr3 only comes in 8gb capacities I thought...surely not a single 32gb dimm...so you don't have a choice but to find 4x8gb or 2x16gb. In many cases dual channel is faster than single..you should have always went with dual channel honestly.

Your gpu has nothing to do with your ram choice... ;)

Side note, how much ram are you using currently? If you are well below 16, like 8-12gb, why not just get 16 amd save some cash. Do you expect to or already break 16gb?

I know GPU doesn't depend on it , currently it's bottle necked with my 650 gtx..

I'm gonna get 4x8gb sticks I only seen them in single channel

I have 8gb of ram right now as listed

Ram isn't a bottleneck to any GPU either. :)

I see what is going on :). You are talking about ram kits/sticks and how they are sold versus the dual channel on your board. Even though you will get 4 sticks, its still dual channel. "Kit(s)" is the word you want to use in this case. :)

There are plenty of 4x8GB DDR3 kits: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...TMATCH&Description=4x8gb+ddr3&N=-1&isNodeId=1

I have 8gb of ram right now as listed
Great... so, again, are you using close to 16GB already? If so, 32GB is a great idea, otherwise, I would just bump to 16GB with the exact matching stick you already have or sell what you have and buy 2x8GB DDR3: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...ription=2x8gb+ddr3&ignorear=0&N=-1&isNodeId=1

Last edited:
Do you even have 4 slots for RAM? Not all motherboards have 4 slots for RAM.
You can list your PC specs here, Maybe its not RAM that is responsible for the freezes.

Back