• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

i6700k higher than usual temps

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
It set your ram at 1.2v because it's likely sitting at 2133 mhz amd 1.2v.. this is for compatibility reasons. In order to reach its rated speeds, use the xmp profile... it will set the speed and voltage.

I set the RAM to 3200 manually without needing an XMP profile before. When I flashed my BIOS it reset everything to default settings and I never set it back.

I'm using the XMP profile though now.

I have a CM hyper 212 and I overclocked to 4.5GHz with 1.33v Prime 95 blend for 15 hours passed, 80c max temp. I just used less than a grain of rice for paste.

Yeah, my reapplication I used the "X" method and applied it very thinly. Much less than what I used the last time. The AS cleaning compounds worked really well, I'm surprised.

Hmmm.....awfully hot in yer place. 123.8 F
Oh!
Those are operating temps, not the ambient temps asked for ;)

Oops! Yeah, don't know why ambient translated into idle temps in my head. It's 77 today in here, a little bit warmer than usual. I cranked up the fans to see what would happen and I'm still idling at 30C ever since manually setting the vcore... whether it is 1.2 or 1.3, doesn't seem to change the idle temps at all.

I'm trying to figure out where to set the CPU Ratio and for the life of myself I just can't find it in the BIOS settings. I don't know what I am missing.

I've already gone through and set:

LLC = Level 5
CPU Power Phase Control - Optimized
VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled
Asus Multicore Enhancement - Disabled
CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores

But just can't find where to change the Ratio and not coming up with good results on google :-/ - Back to the BIOS!

--update--

Nevermind... I feel really dumb for missing that I just needed to change it right under the Core Ratio where it has them all at Auto.

Looks like I'm hitting low 90s at 4.5GHz so far on Prime95 small FFTs at 1.3v.

Last edited:
I set the RAM to 3200 manually without needing an XMP profile before. When I flashed my BIOS it reset everything to default settings and I never set it back.

I'm using the XMP profile though now.

Yeah, my reapplication I used the "X" method and applied it very thinly. Much less than what I used the last time. The AS cleaning compounds worked really well, I'm surprised.

Oops! Yeah, don't know why ambient translated into idle temps in my head. It's 77 today in here, a little bit warmer than usual. I cranked up the fans to see what would happen and I'm still idling at 30C ever since manually setting the vcore... whether it is 1.2 or 1.3, doesn't seem to change the idle temps at all.

I'm trying to figure out where to set the CPU Ratio and for the life of myself I just can't find it in the BIOS settings. I don't know what I am missing.

I've already gone through and set:

LLC = Level 5
CPU Power Phase Control - Optimized
VRM Spread Spectrum - Disabled
Asus Multicore Enhancement - Disabled
CPU Core Ratio - Sync All Cores

But just can't find where to change the Ratio and not coming up with good results on google :-/ - Back to the BIOS!

--update--

Nevermind... I feel really dumb for missing that I just needed to change it right under the Core Ratio where it has them all at Auto.

Looks like I'm hitting low 90s at 4.5GHz so far on Prime95 small FFTs at 1.3v.

That is warm. Did you tighten the cooler mounting screws till they stopped? Here is someone else with a hyper 212 i7 6700k 4.5GHz with 70c temp Prime95 blend. http://www.overclockers.com/forums/...ews-ordered-the-coolermaster-212-for-i7-6700k

I'm getting high 60s to mid 70s doing a stress test with AIDA64.

Yes, I even removed the motherboard from my case and re-tightened the screws for the mounting bracket.

In your link, wingman, he said he used blend (post 11). This guy used small fft. Not comparable.

Ok riddle me this... (cause I certainly don't understand why),

Before OCing games throttled me into the high 60s easy. Now that I'm at 4.5GHz ARK is only pushing high 40s to mid 50s.

DOOM throws me into the 70s upon opening, but then finds a calm resting rate at 50C roughly.

So far everything seems stable minus running Prime95 and my vcore seems to be pushing 1.35-1.4 regardless of having it manually set at 1.3v. OR Core Temp 1.3 is way wrong. CPUID HWMonitor reports a more constant 1.2-1.3, but still shows spikes up to 1.452.

What are the FPS when opening doom? Could be more load on the Processor when opening Doom. With my stock to overclocked Processor the gaming temps go up.

Ok riddle me this... (cause I certainly don't understand why),

Before OCing games throttled me into the high 60s easy. Now that I'm at 4.5GHz ARK is only pushing high 40s to mid 50s.

DOOM throws me into the 70s upon opening, but then finds a calm resting rate at 50C roughly.

So far everything seems stable minus running Prime95 and my vcore seems to be pushing 1.35-1.4 regardless of having it manually set at 1.3v. OR Core Temp 1.3 is way wrong. CPUID HWMonitor reports a more constant 1.2-1.3, but still shows spikes up to 1.452.
As far as voltage, what does cpuz say? Also, please post pics of memory tab and SPD tab.

Ah... yeah something isn't right with the memory settings... Gotta go check that out. Voltage checks out ok in CPUz.

OC1.JPG
cpuz.jpg cpuz2.jpg

They should be running at 3200MHz, no? I double checked the BIOS and I do have them set for that and in the BIOS it says they are running at 3200MHz... so I don't quite understand how it is getting those numbers?

What voltage did you set in the BIOS? What voltage does CPUz say when you get into windows? What does it say under a load?

Memory looks right to me. DDR = DOUBLE Data Rate. So 1600 x 2 = 3200. It is doubled like that because it takes data on the rise and fall of the clock signal, thus DOUBLING the amount of data transferred while the clock stays the same. So the actual frequency is 1600Mhz, the 3200MHz rating is the apparent and listed speed.

Last edited:
What voltage did you set in the BIOS? What voltage does CPUz say when you get into windows? What does it say under a load?

Memory looks right to me. DDR = DOUBLE Data Rate. So 1600 x 2 = 3200. ;)

Gotcha, kinda figured that once I looked at it a little longer. I know what DDR stands for :p What are the other 3 tables for? Just the speeds it would run at with those timings?

I set the voltage at 1.300 in the BIOS.

With AIDA64 stress test running CPUz says core voltage is at 1.296 and 1.312 - doesn't show any other numbers.

But in Prime 95 small fft, if jumps up at times, right? If so that is likely the avx or aes instructions doing good their thing. In aida, have 'FPU only' checked off and see if it does the same thing.

Edit: added info above... count remember exactly and looked it up. :)

ADIAFPU.JPG

Don't seem to be going over 1.4v according to CPUz and AIDA CPUID - just below it. Do we know which readout is accurate? Does each program really calculate the readout differently or is it just that sensitive of a reading?

Yes, Prime95 small fft pushes all the cores right below 90C. Not too comfortable with that, but games won't hit the processor that hard ever will they? Avx and aes are just for speeding up encryption, right?

Going to crash for the night. Making progress is nice, been meaning to do this for sometime now and have not gotten around to it. Thanks for all the help and answers!

The most recent Prime95 uses FMA3 not AVX for default. Games should not go as high as prime95 for the foreseeable future. For CPU temp I trust HWmonitor.

Last edited:
Not sure if this applies here (different brand mobo), but there's several threads in the RoG forum about 6700k pulling 1.44v at stock settings so seems to be a bit hit/miss with these, also do you have the latest BIOS ? my voltages dropped quite a bit with one of the latest revisions.

The most recent Prime95 uses FMA3 not AVX for default. Games should not go as high as prime95 for the foreseeable future.

Not even Handbrake goes anywhere near P95 28.9 temps, no reason to use it as almost nothing commercial uses AVX2/FMA3, stick with P95 26.6 or Aida64.

http://www.mersenneforum.org/showthread.php?t=15504

Yes, I just installed the latest BIOS this last weekend when installing a new Samsung M.2 950 Pro. I'm running with these settings for now at 4.5GHz and will continue to monitor it. I figured as long as AIDA64 only pushes it to 70C I should be OK to do my usual gaming with good temps.

The weird part is I am actually getting roughly 10C lower in games now which I did not expect. Could be a combination of the BIOS upgrade and manually setting the voltages perhaps?

CPUID still shows voltages getting close to the 1.4v range and I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that (both HWMonitor and AIDA64).

A bios upgrade itself wouldn't cause a temp drop. However any voltage changes certainly would.

The weird part is I am actually getting roughly 10C lower in games now which I did not expect. Could be a combination of the BIOS upgrade and manually setting the voltages perhaps?

CPUID still shows voltages getting close to the 1.4v range and I'm not sure if I should be concerned about that (both HWMonitor and AIDA64).

"Heaviest" game i have atm is Crysis 3 and he only does around ~75c on my setup @1080p maxed graphics, while Handbrake goes ~85c with 4.8ghz @1.42v. Looks ok to me :thup:

Try HWMonitor64 and put your GPU (blue) and CPU (red) temps on the taskbar if you're OCD like me Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, I just installed the latest BIOS this last weekend when installing a new Samsung M.2 950 Pro. I'm running with these settings for now at 4.5GHz and will continue to monitor it. I figured as long as AIDA64 only pushes it to 70C I should be OK to do my usual gaming with good temps.

Have you tried peak Vcore at 1.33v-1.35v In HWmonitor with stress testing at 4.5GHz?

Back