• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

1st CAV Military build (1st time build)

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

bobbyb3

Hello I am working on my first build. I game, video edit and edit photos using PS and LR. I will be water cooling with my taxes just building the system first. I want to see what everyone thinks of the parts before I order. The color scheme is black, yellow and green to go with the 1st CAV theme. Yes I am a soldier that has proudly served with them. Here is the logo that will be put on the case. 1st_Cavalry_Division.png

Component Selection

CPU - Intel Core i7-6700K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor

CPU Cooler - Corsair H115i 104.7 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (will use till put in custom loop then will move to my wife's build)

Motherboard - Asus MAXIMUS VIII FORMULA ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

Memory - G.Skill TridentZ Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Storage - Samsung 950 PRO 512GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive

Western Digital BLACK SERIES 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive

Video Card - Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1070 8GB G1 Gaming Video Card

Case - Corsair C70 Military Green (Green) ATX Mid Tower Case ( Bought )

Power Supply - Corsair Professional Gold 850W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ( Bought )
Total: $1769.56

:welcome: to OCFs and thank you for your service. :salute:

Component selection looks good to me. :thup:

Can't wait to see some images of this build.

bobbyb3, That will be a cool project, will be waiting to see the finished product.

Vietnam Veteran here[U.S. Army], would stop at a Cav compound when in the Mekong Delta, they had a banner at the entrance of the compound that said: "If you ain't CAV you ain't $h!t"

:salute:

Is there a reason you choose the formula mobo over something like the ranger or the alpha. Don't get me wrong the formula is a great board but if you are not using the features on it you are spending a lot of extra money for it that could be put elsewhere.

Welcome Bobby. I'm a Gulf War vet myself so I'm eagerly waiting to see the results.

The components look great. I'm mobile right now so I can't check compatibility like I like to but the only thing that I might question would be whether or not you need an 850W PSU. Seems a 500-600W PSU would be ample.

I also agree with Lochekey. If you're not planning extreme cooling (read sub-zero) then the formula is likely overkill. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Thanks and nice to see so many vets on here. For the banner yeah we are a little proud. To Blaylock, the 850 psu was just on a heck of a sale one day and figure out it will last throught upgrades. To you and Lockekey, the mobo I like for when I water cool it. Yes I know some don't cool vrm. I looked long at the Alpha just didn't want to take all the red off it. Though will look at it again would work for what I need. The ranger doesn't have the wifi, it has a lower end M.2 and few other short falls.

I almost forgot, if you wait 6-7 weeks, you might find a ton of bargains during black friday and cyber monday week.

Yeah been thinking about that just wasn't sure if they ever have anything good or it is just stuff they want to get rid of.

Retired Military here. It's worth waiting if you can. You could save on a few things, letting you get a better monitor, umm, keyboard with ultra fast Unobtainum keys. An other fun things. Myself, I just bought it and lived with what I got. Careful on what watercooling you buy when it comes to fittings etc. Some are good, some not so. You gotta make it fit, and 4 wrong fittings can mean $50 easy. So take the time to figure it out.

Best of luck, I' m retired almost 20 years now. Check out my stickies in the stickies, had fun back in the day.

I honestly will probably end up waiting. I payed child care all year and now being reimbursed. Though yall vets it could take 30 days for it to hit.

OK I will be using this system for gaming, video editing and editing photos using PS and LR. From what I have been seeing it might be better to go with a X99 set up not a Z170. I was hoping that I could get yalls input on what pros and cons for both. thanks

Hey from what I see on PCpartpicker now is one of the best time to get my part. Even with upgrading to a X99 and 6800k I can get it all from newegg right now for $1,692.55. Should I pull the trigger now or wait to see if it gets any better on the BF/CM?

Hey from what I see on PCpartpicker now is one of the best time to get my part. Even with upgrading to a X99 and 6800k I can get it all from newegg right now for $1,692.55. Should I pull the trigger now or wait to see if it gets any better on the BF/CM?

If you live anywhere near a Microcenter, it is well worth the trip. They usually have great pricing on motherboard, cpu combos.

Back