• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the fence. New Intel build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Some people update every generation. I'm sort of a mixed bag in that I went from an i7 930 to a 2500k to a 4770k but now on a 4690k. I won't be upgrading until Kaby or the one after, though.

IMO a 6700k will offer a solid jump over your current AMD rig, without breaking the bank, but if you were after the 6 core variants on X99 you can't go wrong either if you have the budget.. But given you appear to be primarily worried about bottlenecks GPU wise therefore worrying about gaming performance? I think the 6700k is a more 'sensible' choice.

The same amount of people that upgraded from SB to IB and IB to Haswell... not many as its pretty pointless unless you are missing functionality.

Pointless schmointless.......if ya can afford it, it's fun to play with different toys. Even when their differences ain't that much ;)

Depends on other hobbies/costs I guess. Like you said 'IF' you can afford it, why not!? It's fun to build/rebuild. But I could also use that money elsewhere.. My car, games, audio gear, something something. lol.

Most people don't have the disposable income for such little of a performance upgrade. You see it here and forums everywhere. A few lucky people decide to make the upgrade to play sure. Sadly, Intel has been, for lack of a better term, missionary, as far as overclocking and playing goes for four generations now. Multi, voltage and go. So sure, if you have disposable incoming with alarmingly similar everything, have at it. :)

If he isn't video rendering he need not go with X99. Dolphon and Minecraft will NOT see any advantage from it, nor will 95% of the games that are relevant today. I recommended Haswell because of my experience with being able to find used parts for the platform for relatively cheap, but if you've got the cash then Skylake is a great option. Don't wait for Kaby, even if it wasn't Win10 only, if you wait for that you might as well stick with AMD and Zen. On another note, if you want to avoid Win10 I recommend Linux Mint as an alternative. It's one of the easier to use distros for Windows junkies, I've had it on a VM for quite some time. I'd switch over completely but the drivers for the 700 series cards won't detect my GPU.

So your thinking a good i7 Haswell build will serve me well?

Or if I want to spend the money, get Skylake.

Basically sounds like anything Haswell and up will be best. I just wonder if i go Haswell, how long will that system last before i fond myself in the same situation as now?

Well, with DDR4 approaching its 4th CPU line (Remember, first it was Haswell-E, then Broadwell-E, then Skylake, and now Kaby) on the Intel side I imagine we're getting closer to having DDR3 become a distant memory. I don't see DDR3 being phased out completely for another few years though. Honestly, you should build a new computer every 5 to 7 years anyways.

So your thinking a good i7 Haswell build will serve me well?

Or if I want to spend the money, get Skylake.

Basically sounds like anything Haswell and up will be best. I just wonder if i go Haswell, how long will that system last before i fond myself in the same situation as now?
Always get the best you can/want to afford. If you can push for Skylake or wait for Kaby, I would do that.

I might just do Skylake being its the best platform Windows 7 "supports"

Is the 6700k like the best i7 for Skylake? Or is there a true hex core?

There are no hex cores on the mainstream platform. It is reserved for the HEDT (X99 currently) platform. A 6700K is the flagship on Z170.

There are no hex cores on the mainstream platform. It is reserved for the HEDT (X99 currently) platform. A 6700K is the flagship on Z170.

That kinda took me by surprise (Intel n00b), i thought if needed i could upgrade to a 6800k/6900k on my mobo. Will it be the same for Kaby Lake ?

It will be the same for KL, yes. That is a mainstream platform as well... the replacement for Haswell/Skylake. The 68/6900K are s2011-3/X99 CPUs. Intel has never offered a hex core on the mainstream platform that I can recall. If they have it has been several generation as I can think back through s775 and none crossed over.

Skylake-E will be the next iteration on the HEDT platform with Hex+.

Makes me miss AMD in that regard, you can stick any number of cores on the same platform :p

I'm not sure what to do here with Zen only supporting Win 10, that pretty much leaves me with AMD FX and Phenom II CPU's for AMD, vs the multitudes of platforms from Intel.

I am planning on buying a GTX 1070, but I can't help but think my 1090t will bottleneck it badly plus I have a feeling the CPU is showing it's age vs newer CPUs.
So I'm not sure if I should buy an 8 core FX and stick with AMD since I dumped a LOT of money into the motherboard and watercooling or give Intel one last shot with an i7 build.

I mostly game, heavily modded Minecraft, Skyrim, Warframe and Dolphin emulator but I would like to get into newer titles soon so I'm unsure if my 1090t can keep up. (I like to run with all the eye candy on) I will also be upgrading to 1080p, maybe higher with a wall mount monitor, just not sure when. (currently on SXGA+)

If I go Intel, it must be worth it. Must overclock well (I don't want a repeat of that 3570K I had), must be an i7 because this will be the last major upgrade for many years.

TL;DR:
Basically, the AMD rig in the sig is aging and I feel I'm missing out in some games preformance wise hence I want to know if I should switch to Intel or try an 8 core AMD FX.

Maybe, you should get this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128895&ignorebbr=1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819113410

That's for a system when mostly gaming...

You have a Saberkitty, so I suggest an FX 8320E, if not an 8370 or 8350.

Last edited:
The 860k has roughly the same performance as the 1090t :( from personal experience you cant go wrong with the 8370. Think we discussed in another thread that Zen although not officially compatible with OS older then Win10, you would still be able to run them with 3rd party CPU drivers or in some sort of compatibility mode, so not all is lost. Wait and see situation ?

A 9570 would be a nice drop in upgrade, Guaranteed 4.7 Ghz, more than I was ever able to achieve stable, even with the 6300. Question is, is it worth the $200+ for said CPU or am I better off putting that into Intel?

How long will that 9570 last me preformance wise in years? Will that still bottleneck a 1070 @1080p?

I'm not sure where to turn... At this point I am already looking/waiting for a good sale on some i7 CPU. Basically the CPU I choose ultimately decides which platform I go with since the gain from Devil's Canyon to Skylake isn't too much.

But building an Intel will be a costly project and leave me with some still powerful AMD gear.. Maybe I will give this to my brother and take back my beloved i5 2300. :)
I used to be a Intel fan, but AMD showed me how much fun it is to tweak with knobs...

Which leads me to ask; which Intel platform has more things to tweak with? X99? Z170? They the same?

I'd wait for zen at this point...

It will be a bottleneck vs Intel cpu in some titles, yes. Again, check out some reviews at techspot to see. :)

Compared to Intel stuff, the 9570 will last someting like minus 2 years (or 3 ;) ).

Not an Intel fanboy, hey S_P, but it's just the way it is.

What the heck, grab a Zen with Win10.

No matter what, in a couple of years that is the OS you will be using! Just a deferment...

And if you are into benching, there will still be some work around to run win7 on it I am sure!

Back