• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

On the fence. New Intel build.

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Hope you're not serious about the minecraft. There are better games out there.

Dead serious. It's pretty much the reason I want to switch to Intel. That any any future games I might be interested in.
Even Fallout 4 runs smoother than my modded Minecraft! (Maybe I should actually play Fallout 4 too, not even 1/4 finished!)

FO4 and Minecraft both bored me... :(
It's the beauty of the open worlds that keeps me playing. Fallout because it's open world and the graphics are awesome, Minecraft because with the shaders mod and all sorts of other mods there's a lot of variety in the terrain generation plus lots to build and do. (Vanilla Minecraft is boring yes)

Not just your average boring Minecraft:
2016-11-25_22.13.39.png 2016-07-04_21.42.58.jpg

Got the 6700k today!

Now I just need to find a good motherboard to overclock on...
1480975463850.jpg 1480975451385.jpg

hey, welcome to the i7 family!, just wanted to let you know something about the asrock extreme 6, 7. the M.2 slots when in use disables sata ports, and eats into pci e bandwidth. and in my experience, overclocking limits were hit at 4.4 ghz without a voltage bump, and temps around 65c under load. I'm using a beefy air cooler. out of curiosity, why the hate on Windows 10? You can turn off automatic updates with some power user settings, and you don't have to use a Microsoft login to use the Computer. just curious

hey, welcome to the i7 family!, just wanted to let you know something about the asrock extreme 6, 7. the M.2 slots when in use disables sata ports, and eats into pci e bandwidth. and in my experience, overclocking limits were hit at 4.4 ghz without a voltage bump, and temps around 65c under load. I'm using a beefy air cooler. out of curiosity, why the hate on Windows 10? You can turn off automatic updates with some power user settings, and you don't have to use a Microsoft login to use the Computer. just curious
I still have mixed feelings about the UI... I also don't really want to turn off auto updates, I just want to be able to pick and choose what updates i get. The other issue is any customization that could be reverted when it gets updated... I'm not sure what changes...

I am going to give Win10 a try, I have the ISO ready to burn, I'm just trying to free up more space on the SSD.

Also, thank you very much about the M.2 slots info!! I didn't know using them eats into pcie bandwidth nor did I know about the sats ports... :-/
How do you like the BIOS? Is there a lot of overclocking options?

Coming from AMD, I love to tinker with every setting I have so the more the better lol

There are advanced options you can tweak for pushing the silicon limit, yes, but to get 4.6 or less, the only settings you have to change are multiplier and voltage. the uefi bios is pretty standard, with some extra bells and whistles. you can see a virtual motherboard in there, and see what ports are in use visually , and what is occupying them. it's pretty handy for testing various components for DOA or improperly installed components. also, for ram, you have to manually set the timings and frequency, the xmp profile causes bsods. This is in my experience, you may not have to. also, you can overclock the ram without worrying about cpu instability due to the way skylake is designed. Sandy bridge got very unstable if you overclocked ram. The features on asrock can't be beat for the price though, not many boards support three M.2 slots. when i get home, ill post more details if you have any questions.😉

No mater what you do on a Pc it eats the bandwidth as it should the buses run at fixed speeds. The CPU has to do the processing of the data coming and going. So don't worry about a storage device, the data has to arrive to and from the CPU one way or another, one device at a time using the Bus. A faster Bus works for a shorter period of time sending data with a faster transfer speed.

Folks like to believe data runs side by side over a bus however it does not, the data is sent single file.

intel_z170_chipset1.jpg

There are advanced options you can tweak for pushing the silicon limit, yes, but to get 4.6 or less, the only settings you have to change are multiplier and voltage. the uefi bios is pretty standard, with some extra bells and whistles. you can see a virtual motherboard in there, and see what ports are in use visually , and what is occupying them. it's pretty handy for testing various components for DOA or improperly installed components. also, for ram, you have to manually set the timings and frequency, the xmp profile causes bsods. This is in my experience, you may not have to. also, you can overclock the ram without worrying about cpu instability due to the way skylake is designed. Sandy bridge got very unstable if you overclocked ram. The features on asrock can't be beat for the price though, not many boards support three M.2 slots. when i get home, ill post more details if you have any questions.��

I have to use XMP on my 3200 speed memory otherwise it wont boot with manual settings. I even tried to set some of the sub timings to what XMP sets them to no joy.

I have to use XMP on my 3200 speed memory otherwise it wont boot with manual settings. I even tried to set some of the sub timings to what XMP sets them to no joy.

I guess this is a case of your Milage may vary. pc components are almost never the same exact setup as someone else. When you have all of your components together, we can figure out what works best for you.

I guess this is a case of your Milage may vary. pc components are almost never the same exact setup as someone else. When you have all of your components together, we can figure out what works best for you.

Especially with overclocking memory, each motherboard manufacture sets different Vccio and Vccsa and sub-timings with overclocking memory since it is not a Intel standard specification. Some motherboards set Vccio and Vccsa and sub-timings by XMP and some set it by memory speed.

You're gonna be bored. ;)
It's stupid easy.
Rats... I knew it was easier to tweak vs AMD. I Just hope its not too easy..
There are advanced options you can tweak for pushing the silicon limit, yes, but to get 4.6 or less, the only settings you have to change are multiplier and voltage. the uefi bios is pretty standard, with some extra bells and whistles. you can see a virtual motherboard in there, and see what ports are in use visually , and what is occupying them. it's pretty handy for testing various components for DOA or improperly installed components. also, for ram, you have to manually set the timings and frequency, the xmp profile causes bsods. This is in my experience, you may not have to. also, you can overclock the ram without worrying about cpu instability due to the way skylake is designed. Sandy bridge got very unstable if you overclocked ram. The features on asrock can't be beat for the price though, not many boards support three M.2 slots. when i get home, ill post more details if you have any questions.😉

Okay that doesn't sound too bad! I want the Extreme 6 from ASRock but im also wondering about MSI board? They dont have LLC?

Not too fond of Gigabyte anymore..

And am i limited on how high i can push the BCLK on Skylake like sandy bridge?

Back