• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

L5410 on a s775 motherboard -- high temps?

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Mario1

Grammer, its my favoriate thing
f7y8ia4.png
It's a generic Asus mobo, G31 chipset. This is under 3 min of prime95 testing.. It shows the CPU is idling at 63some degrees upon powering the PC up. BIOS shows 60ish.
I have changed the thermal compound, the cooler itself seems like a chinese low-quality generic one, but it's not shy of a standard OEM cooler size. Not sure if it makes good contact tho, as the heatsink doesn't get hot, regardless of what the temp readings show. It's the backplated type, I have screwed it tightly, can attach some pictures if needed.
Could it be that it's reporting the temperatures wrong? Having in mind it's a s775 board that wasn't originally intended to work with a s771 CPU, that's the only thing that comes to mind..
Here is a CPU-Z validation for the mobo itself; http://valid.x86.fr/rg8x7t
Small edit; I bought the PC a day ago, so I have no idea if it ever reported normal temperatures.

Bad CPU temp sensor. CPU is a 50w processor with a max operating temp of 57c. It would already have shutdown via it's own protection or be dead if the temp displayed was correct. The motherboard or bios has nothing to do with it if it's identifying the processor correctly.

I have tried realtemp too, yes. Guess I can relax now, knowing things are good, even though they don't look that way, haha

so then back to your op, i would get new thermal compound on the cpu. when you remove the HSF this will show you the contact, best guess though. the thermal compound dried out if it was cheap stuff used and that possibly the hsf without seeing it is undersized or the fan isnt spinning fast enough/moving enough air. if you have any pics of the cooler/fan setup that would help alot! :) what are you choices for being able to buy computer parts? i think at the very least we might be able to find a good/suggest cooler and time possibly on the cheap side for you.

I would check the PSU with a multimeter.

Just tested; 12.35v on the multimeter with prime running.

so then back to your op, i would get new thermal compound on the cpu. when you remove the HSF this will show you the contact, best guess though. the thermal compound dried out if it was cheap stuff used and that possibly the hsf without seeing it is undersized or the fan isnt spinning fast enough/moving enough air. if you have any pics of the cooler/fan setup that would help alot! :) what are you choices for being able to buy computer parts? i think at the very least we might be able to find a good/suggest cooler and time possibly on the cheap side for you.
PnVGEtg.jpg
P.S I'm not going to use the GPU with that PSU, don't worry. Photo was taken during test fitting.
P.S 2; I have replaced the thermal compound yesterday.

Last edited:
yea if you can find a new hsf, i think that is your problem right there, IMO.

Only thing that feels hot to the touch is the 82801GB IC, so I'm a tad bit confused.. it is burning hot tho, but I guess there's not much that can be done on cooling it.
CPU cooler feels slightly warm, not even to a "normal warm" extent.

Back