• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Gaming Headphones? Bose Soundtrue VS Razer Kraken Pro VS Steelseries Siberia 200

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

eD8y

I am on a budget and have the option of purchasing only one of the three mentioned headsets as these are readily available where i live and on a discount.

I intend to use them mainly for gaming with PS4 Virtual Reality headset and wont ever be using the mic as i only play single player games.

I have done some research but am not sure which would provide a good immersive experience out of the lot.

The Bose SoundTrue (around ear) ones are costly as compared to the Siberia or Kraken but would they be better for gaming purposes?
If i were to buy one from just these three which would be best? Please assist.

The Bose philosophy is "Better sound through marketing". I wouldn't pay Bose prices for Bose gear. Bose is neck and neck with M*nster for quality vs. price.

The Bose philosophy is "Better sound through marketing". I wouldn't pay Bose prices for Bose gear. Bose is neck and neck with M*nster for quality vs. price.

Yes thats what i have figured abt Bose from some threads on these forums.

You can also check out some audio forums. A fairly common sentiment is "No highs, no lows-must be Blose!" LOL Now, before I get assaulted by Bose owners, if you like it good for you. I'm not trying to insult anyone. My experience tells me I wouldn't do it.

You can also check out some audio forums. A fairly common sentiment is "No highs, no lows-must be Blose!" LOL Now, before I get assaulted by Bose owners, if you like it good for you. I'm not trying to insult anyone. My experience tells me I wouldn't do it.

Ok. I mainly want headphones for gaming on the ps4 and that too on their new VR headset. After going through alot of reviews/discussions I m now thinking it might be best if I just wait for the new Sony PS Platinum Headphones to be released which will cost in at abt 159 USD. See user reviews abt it then and make the final decision maybe.

If you don't need the mic, don't buy gaming headphones. Look at something like the Sennheiser HD 558 or Beyer DT 770.
Both are fantastic sounding and will be better sounding than any gaming headset under $200.

The Sennheiser HD 598 is less then $200 (around $150-$160). The HD 558 is under $100 ($99'ish). Either are better then most gaming headsets, though if your budget allows, go with the 598. You could also just go with the 558 and add on a Mod Mic for around the same price of the 598.

If you're gonna go with Bose, might as well get a set of Skull Candy. Same quality, 1/10 the price.

The Sennheiser HD 598 is less then $200 (around $150-$160). The HD 558 is under $100 ($99'ish). Either are better then most gaming headsets, though if your budget allows, go with the 598. You could also just go with the 558 and add on a Mod Mic for around the same price of the 598.

If you're gonna go with Bose, might as well get a set of Skull Candy. Same quality, 1/10 the price.

Yes i know the Senheissers are great and last a life time. i have a pair of Senheisser HD 202 since 3 years running perfect but want to upgrade now. Thank you for the advice guys.

Last edited:
Do NOT buy the razer headphones!
They are not good sounding, Break after a short time (If about 1 or 2 years of usage is short) and just not worth the price.
Razer products are for people who want something good looking, Not more than that.

it might be best if I just wait for the new Sony PS Platinum Headphones

I had a $50 Sony headphone at one time that sounded pretty good. Better, in fact, than several $200 headphones I tried. I was impressed by the bang/buck ratio. :)

So, I've wanted a "gaming headset" for a while, mostly because I don't like always having my SM58 on my desk 24/7...

I went to best buy about a couple weeks ago, and they didn't have any "testing stations" so you can't try em before you buy. I asked an associate if there was a way to test them out, and he apologized and said no. So then I asked him the return policy, to which he responded "we have a 15 day, no questions asked return policy on headphones".

I bought EVERY pair of "gaming headsets", minus the ones I intuitively knew were gonna be absolute crap *cough* turtle beach *cough* .

This list includes

Logitech G930
Logitech G430
Astro A40
Hyper X cloud revolver
Steel Series Siberia 200
Corsair Void SE Wireless
Razer Kraken Pro
Razer Man o' war

Out of the bunch, the razer kraken pro was the most "comfortable". The corsair void actually felt like they would never break, very sturdy design. The logitechs were very "meh" all around (I couldn't hear a difference between the 930 and 430 AT ALL), the A40 was decent all around but super overpriced for what you get, the steel series were very very similar to the razers.

The best BY FAR was the hyper x cloud revolver. The sound quality is actually incredibly decent, on par with my ATH M50's to be completely honest. Completely analog signal, which means its compatible with everything. Build quality is 6.5/10 I would say (mostly plastic, remember a "5" would be "Average" here). The mic is REMOVABLE, which is ridiculously cool. They are comfortable, and the sound isolation is pretty respectable. Literally none of the others came close to the sound quality.

IF you want a wireless set, I'd feel ok recommend the corsair, they were pretty ok. Rather decent for the price honestly.

ALL THAT ASIDE, as mentioned, if you're not going to use a mic, then get a "real" set of headphones. If you want a really really good sounding set of cans for really cheap, I recommend checking out the philips shp9500. Insanely good for <75$. The next up would be the ATH M50x's. Next from that would be stepping into the magical world of "my subjective opinion". I.e. someone mentioned the dt770's. I personally detest them, and find them horrible. Not from a quality point, they are well made. I just cant stand their sound signature.

Do NOT buy the razer headphones!
They are not good sounding, Break after a short time (If about 1 or 2 years of usage is short) and just not worth the price.
Razer products are for people who want something good looking, Not more than that.

Are we speaking from experience, or using someone complaints online as anecdotal evidence? Razer's products are generally worth what you pay for them, especially their mice. If you're looking for "high end" products, youre barking up the wrong tree anyway.

i think you'd be hard pressed to find any rational argument against your statements :p. I've never been impressed by anything other than their "wave" series of speakers; but not at the price point they are in lol.

Are we speaking from experience, or using someone complaints online as anecdotal evidence? Razer's products are generally worth what you pay for them, especially their mice. If you're looking for "high end" products, youre barking up the wrong tree anyway.

Im talking from my 3 friends experience, Their keyboards are not good quality, dying after 2 years, Headphones are not good (for the price) for almost any type of music (Good only if you listen to dubstep or some heavy elecro music).
Maybe for gaming it would be fine, But i dont think buying headphones that have good sound in games when you can buy different headphones that sound overall better in everything for the same price or lower.
Idk about mice though. So ill not say anything about it, except that my friends razer naga felt really really cheap.

Btw nice writeup.

The Kingston HyperX series have been hugely popular and if I HAD to get a budget pair of headphones for gaming purposes with mic, they would be my first choice (most likely HyperX Cloud II?). However I also feel in general that a solid pair of studio/stereo headphones will do you well and make it look less ridiculous when walking around with them outside without a mic attached/overstated gaming peripheral decals. Then use a desktop/USB mic or modmic/attachment-style mic.

I am not a bose fan- but the newer wireless headphones actually sound good. not sure they are worth what they want for them. but the sound is nice

I am not a bose fan- but the newer wireless headphones actually sound good. not sure they are worth what they want for them. but the sound is nice

Yeah, to clarify, Bose stuff doesn't necessarily sound awful, but compared to other offerings in their price class they sound like crap. Bose is fond of pricing their gear two or three tiers above the sound quality. When I bought my current stereo you could drop $2k on a Bose clock radio that sounded horrible, bad, awful, blech. For that money I got a Pair of Paradigm Studio 60 speakers and a Marantz amp that was a giant killer. Well, it would at least kick the giant in the shin pretty hard.

If you won't be using a mic, you want headphones, not a headset. Why pay for a mic you won't use?

Alaric, you like the Marantz sound too eh? It's very mellow and welcoming I find.

Back