• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerColor Devil RX480 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
@ my current clocks, I was playing FC4 for several hours lastnight and power draw in AB showed 150w and sometimes spiked to 160w :eek: Temps were tamed with fanspeed @ 90%. Fans were audible but not anoying. Looks like I'll be looking into better cooling for the 480.

Wattman is cake to use?

wattman.png

1455/2100 on my Sapphire Nitro+ 1342 core.

Congrats. Nice clocks. Wish my card would clock. I tried several times to use wattman only to be rewarded with black screens/video crashes. I even tried a tiny overclock of 1350 core. No dice.

This is what i tried so far and results:

Raise power limit = 50%
Raise core voltage = 50%

1350 core = black screen
1340 core = desktop. Tried firestrike = black screen

2100 memory = white screen/video crash

Doesn't matter how much voltage/power limit. No joy

Noway of raising mem voltage as there's no adjustments in either wattman, trixx, MSI afterburner, Asus' Gpu Tweak.

Unless I'm overlooking something or I'm missing something, my card refuses to clock anything beyond stock (1330/2000)

Mmmm... Strange that you blackscreen with both the 290 and the 480, at the tiny. With a 70%+ ASIC Quality, you should be able to squeeze a few more MHz, even if it is not a 100% reliable rule, ASIC is usually a good indicator.
My 3 290X's were in the 70/75% ball park, and all of them were doing 1150MHz at least...

My 480's ASIC is 74.8% My defective 390 was the same, poor overclocker. Dam 480 won't clock for beans. I might just chuck it on flebay and pick up a 1070/1080 and be done. Funny I sent in a defective 390 and get back the 480 which replicates the same issue as far as overclocking is concerned.

What are the chances I get 2 dud cards? :rolleyes:

Thx for the linky Alaric ;)

Have you reflashed with the higher wattage BIOS? Those cards are horribly power limited from the factory because the PWM section is crap on a stick.

Without a infra red thermal reading gun, I cannot be 100% dead on balls accurate which ones. I would think they would be to 2 uppermost on the card which hwm is reading from.

In this pic it could be the First 3 or the bottom 3, but because my card is a non reference, I cannot be certain.

Attachments

• rx480-phases.jpg
    rx480-phases.jpg
    113.7 KB · Views: 154
Last edited:
Without a infra red thermal reading gun, I cannot be 100% dead on balls accurate which ones. I would think they would be to 2 uppermost on the card which hwm is reading from.

In this pic it could be the First 3 or the bottom 3, but because my card is a non reference, I cannot be certain.

Your card is the same setup as a reference card as far as location goes, just stretched and weaker than OEM.

And here I thought I gained something good from the RMA replacement over my 390. I'd rather have my 390 back :-/

That's the problem: it doesn't clock at all from it's stock 1330/2000. What's considered "normal speed"?

Back