• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

PowerColor Devil RX480 overclocking

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
20% added can get you above 200W, more than enough for reaching 1400MHz core.

You need a modded BIOS that allows +250W for anything over. 1350-1400MHz is expected if you use a stock BIOS with max voltage and power limit.

Something I have learned about these cards is that the CURRENT voltage and temperature have very little to do with core OC. You need to factor in power limit and disregard current temp and voltage. The RX 480 is smart enough to figure out if it can reach a specific frequency or not. If it feels like the OC will not be stable, it will crash the drivers. With my setup, if I can set the frequency it will pass all benches I throw at it.

Tis an odd beast, and I like it. :)

20% added can get you above 200W, more than enough for reaching 1400MHz core.

You need a modded BIOS that allows +250W for anything over. 1350-1400MHz is expected if you use a stock BIOS with max voltage and power limit.

Something I have learned about these cards is that the CURRENT voltage and temperature have very little to do with core OC. You need to factor in power limit and disregard current temp and voltage. The RX 480 is smart enough to figure out if it can reach a specific frequency or not. If it feels like the OC will not be stable, it will crash the drivers. With my setup, if I can set the frequency it will pass all benches I throw at it.

Tis an odd beast, and I like it. :)

You really shouldn't have to touch the voltage to break 1400. Of the three cards I have had come through my hands all have broken 1400 on default volts. All of the cards seem to hit a wattage wall, my Sapphire at 260W according to GPUz and the two XFX cards at 250W.

My card has BIOS with +50% power limit so 225W max. It's max if you look at card's design. At 1.25V GPUZ is showing 185W on core only. I don't know how it can work at more than 225W when pcie = 75W and 8 pin power connector = 150W max so in total 225W max ... so maybe couple of W more max is possible but not 250W+.

Lower temps are actually helping but not as much as we could expect. Unmodded cards on LN2 can make 1600MHz in benchmarks. At the same time on good water can make 1500MHz+ on some cards.

I have weird feeling like my card was overclocking better when I got it. Now I have some stability issues at anything above 1400MHz.

I have to play with BIOS on my card. I have 2 bios chips there but for some reason both are the same.

Tried a bios mod for shiz and giggles with the guide Dolk posted. Results were 1350-2250 @ 1.25v. Ran TimeSpy/FireStrike and the card's temp maxed @ 72c. Tried gaming with cod mw 2 and was rewarded with another black screen :-/

Reverted back to original bios-

Thoughts on why this card isn't breaking 135W when fully overclocked?

Soft is showing only gpu power and that can be wrong read. If overvolting isn't working or is limited or power limit is low then card isn't passing ~150W so gpu can have 135W. As I said some posts ago, at 1.25V my card is showing 185W max under full load in GPU-Z but in AB I haven't seen more than ~150W. Can be wrong read in AB or something else.

When I change fans then I will try to play with BIOS for my card.

Fermi cards had no issues hitting their TDP... particularly at overclocked speeds.

I think you misread what I am trying to say. The fermi cards when temperatures dropped would drop in wattage consumed substantially. These 480's follow this phenomenon simple water cooling is dropping power consumption by quite a large margin. Fermi cards were to the point that my 3 GTX470's in SLi massively overclocked actually drew less power than two of the three same cards on air at stock clocks.

We are seeing this with the 480's hitting 1600+ on stock vcore and DICE/LN2. Scaling is very temperature dependent.

Will have to come back and reference this thread very soon. Thanks guys for all the info.

Gonna blacklist PowerColor...

They're not too bad per-say. I mean the card works as it should, just doesn't overclock as it should. Also being a non-ref card you would think it should be a monster clocker, nope. Looks great, doesn't clock :-/

Lets put it this way: If you plan on getting an RX480 and want to overclock it, avoid this one and choose something else.

They're not too bad per-say. I mean the card works as it should, just doesn't overclock as it should. Also being a non-ref card you would think it should be a monster clocker, nope. Looks great, doesn't clock :-/

Lets put it this way: If you plan on getting an RX480 and want to overclock it, avoid this one and choose something else.

Damn man sorry for your troubles.

I went ref design to get blocks easier and water cool, but I REALLY wanted the XFX GTR RX 480................

this really isnt a fair statement though.

In that light, these are HIGHLY overclocked out of the box, so there isn't much headroom in the first place. Generationally speaking, there seems to be less and less headroom with each generation due to, on the NVIDIA side anyway, their boost system and lack of voltage control. There, no matter reference or high end card, they were all generally topping out around the same 50 Mhz... seems the same here too. Look at some reviews and see where they landed with overclocking on stock cooling. ;)

1375/9000 - http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/powercolor_radeon_rx_480_red_devil_review,34.html
1370/8720 - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/powercolor_red_devil_rx_480/3.htm
1375/9000 - https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/AMD/RX_480/27.html (Reference)
1390/7800 - http://www.overclockersclub.com/reviews/sapphire_nitro_rx_480_4gb/3.htm
1375/9000 - http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-radeon-r9-rx-480-8gb-review,35.html (reference)

I can go on. Surely, we know you can't get much more than stock, but please don't be fooled by the bells and whistles! :)

Yeah, I read those reviews of my card. Even those cards overclock, somewhat, but I must have the worse card as mine refuses to clock anywhere near those.

Tis a dead horse. Move along, nothing to see here.

Back