• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Getting a new Wifi access point - query about router

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Rbentley100

Hi,

I am looking to revamp my home network. I currently use a wireless ac DC link router which is alright, but not fantastic.

I am looking to fix the wifi aspect via on of these access points:
https://www.ubnt.com/unifi/unifi-ap-ac-pro/

I also have a netgear gigabit Ethernet switch that I can slot into the network and then use my ISP 'router' in modem only mode.

My only question is over the router to use to run all of this? Should I look to get something like the ubiquiti edgerouter lite?

Or would the Linksys E4200 (which gives me all the network functionality I currently need) do the job just fine. Are there benefits to getting something more bespoke like the ubiquiti one?

Thanks in advance.

I've been looking into the Ubiquiti's myself for a while, from what I've learned you can do the initial setup of these using their software and then once they are set pretty much leave them in place unless some aspect needs to be changed. In terms of routing I would assume you could get by with as little or as much hardware as you desire provided you route the AP's gateway on it. Just my two cents on this as my home network is commercial grade not consumer grade so take my opinions with a grain of salt if you will.

J :cool:

Thank you for the responce.

I think it would be a more stable solution (shouldn't ever need rebooting) I am also guessing/hoping the latency throughput will be faster.

I just need to work out if it is worth the cost/time for me to learn how to set it up :)

Cheers

I think you can try it out first using your existing router to do the routing and if it has trouble you can upgrade to the UERL.

Like SpeeDj, I too have been looking very intently at moving my home network to an ubiquiti setup, just haven't had the funds and time to do so (I currently have an AC router and a N access point elsewhere to try to bridge/fill in connectivity)

I think you can try it out first using your existing router to do the routing and if it has trouble you can upgrade to the UERL.

Like SpeeDj, I too have been looking very intently at moving my home network to an ubiquiti setup, just haven't had the funds and time to do so (I currently have an AC router and a N access point elsewhere to try to bridge/fill in connectivity)
My scenario stems from a desire to buy a new home and I want to future proof it if we do go down that road. I currently run two Meraki Wireless AP's which are being run via PoE, these ubiquiti's look to need PoE+ 802.3at I believe instead of 802.3af. Now on the upside it looks like each of those AP's will include a port injector to up the current being sent out to the APs so that's good. I have a Cisco 3750g-24ps-s that I intend to use with these so I may need to do so but I will cross that bridge when I come to it. I think you can get by without a PoE switch altogether by using the injector and it does say it's gigabit. Kind of rambling a bit here so sorry about that.

Just my two cents.

J :cool:

Back