• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

rig done went off the chain.....

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

caddi daddi

Godzilla to ant hills
please see attached pic.
my poor little, wall hanging storage box has started to heat a little.
before I hung it up there it would run 4.8 all day long, banging all 8, now it can only do it on 4 and keep below 62c and it's dropping a worker.
do you guys see anything out of place?
the rad is a phoyba g-changer, 480x thick.
the block is an EK supremacy with the wide jet plate.
the pump is an xspc d5 style pump/res combo.

WTF..PNG

When was the last time you flushed it?
Honestly, the dream is over. The processor is just coming back to the real world. It needs more vcore for those clocks and you need to find out what's going on with your water cooling because it's too warm for that much rad and only 4 cores at that vcore.

I guess it's been on the wall 4-5 months with a full, fresh rebuild.

I have found one major problem.
the galinstan I use for tim has run out from under the block and is pretty dang close to a couple of doo dads between the socket and first pcie slot and as this is my last z board on the shelf, it's time to grab the hair drier and glass rods and mount a salvage operation..........

Get some different paste...perhaps one that is more viscous and also not liquid metal that will drip on your components since your orientation is vertical.

I do think that's a good starting point, or at least a little less indium.

got the galinstan off, heat it with a hair drier real warm, get the vacuum going and a quick spritz with wd40 and off it went, good as new.
drained the system and am pumping vinegar now.

I'm guessing CD has built a few engines. Once you have it apart, freshen everything. If you don't have time to do it right the first time, how will you find time to do it twice? LOL

this is the end, my loanly friend, the end.

pulled the whole thing down and did a full rebuild, opened the block, clean as a whistle, pump, clean as a whistle, var-soled the rad, clean as a whistle.
retimed with collermaster ice fusion, retimed the power section. no change at all.
swapped the ram, no change.
swapped in my benching 8350 and it's a rocket..........
I am afraid I have a cpu headed for the junk pile................

That's ok Caddi. You've had it for as long as you have and luckily no other issues are there. Everything is there ready to be used for your next replacement that deserves a nice cooling loop.

What are your plans now? Replace CPU or jump ship to intel?

I already jumped ship!!!!
everything other than the cpu is good, the setup looks good in the core p5 case so my first thought is a 9590 and a motherboard block.
I have never had issues with this cpu till I jacked the clocks to the moon and hung it on the wall at 1.64 vcore and 5.2ghz and left it there for a few months.

a few things that are interesting are,
#1, it was fine until I decided to pull it off the wall and play with it, the wheels fell off the wagon as soon as I declocked it.
#2, at default up to 4.5 you would never know anything was wrong.
#3, only when you reach 4.6 does it have issues, at 4.6 there is nothing I can do to get it past 2 passes of ibt and super pi times start to increase.

Last edited:

pulled the whole thing down and did a full rebuild, opened the block, clean as a whistle, pump, clean as a whistle, var-soled the rad, clean as a whistle.
retimed with collermaster ice fusion, retimed the power section. no change at all.
swapped the ram, no change.
swapped in my benching 8350 and it's a rocket..........
retim'd the power? Those have thermal pads on them, no?

from the factory, yes.
the way this kit of parts has been pushed a lot has had to be done.

So, you replaced a thermal pads with thermal paste on the VRM?

That sounds like it isn't a good idea? The pads are typically A LOT thicker than paste. The screws are typically only meant to go so far... the pad fills that gap and transfers heat to the heatsink. Typically you replace pad with pad...

1.64v? Thats as much as that 6300 i had and it didnt degrade like that. Odd.... Maybe AMD is right in saying 1.55v is the max for daily clocks hmm.

Did you have all that green stuff enabled in the BIOS? If so its not like it was under full load all day...

using tim has served me well on the vrms, I do agree with pad for pad but, it's worked well for me for a long time.
1.64, no green stuff, I had retired the rig to pretty, storage box anyway.

I can't feel to bad about this one giving up, I have run it to 5.4 under just water, Rgone has run it at 5.6 under chilled water.
all the stuff he did with the 8350, this is the cpu he used and I have had a great time punishing the little piggy, I have simply explored its limits...... so sad to see it go.
I'll throw an old 965 in the rig and down clock the ram and it will still look the same, but we will all know, there is no wolf in the sheeps clothing.........sad.

Last edited:
Back