• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Antivirus Suggestions

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

TorqueRanger

I am looking for some suggestion on free Antivirus and anti malware software ???Right now I am using free Bitdefender and Malwarebytes and have done alot of research into finding a better free software only to find mixed results .. So I am hoping you guys and woman can help..

Oh I am using Win10 64bit

Thanks

+1 windows defender. Assuming you're not a silly person clicking silly links it's more than enough. It's lightweight. Does the job. It's on all of my home computers and even with my not-so-savvy parents we haven't had any problems.

Avast free version is a great product. It has scans for rootkits and not all AV products do that, especially free ones. However, Microsoft has improved Windows Defender for Windows 10 and it's a legitimate choice again. Especially I like that Defender doesn't nag you about this and that. The combo of Defender, an occasional scan with Malwarebytes free and the use of discretion should be sufficient for most folks with a little tech savvy.

Avast, Defender, AVG, Avira, Malwarebytes free all good used in conjunction with Windows Defender. I never liked W Defender as a stand-alone but if Trents claims it's much improved for Windows 10 then that's a good recommendation. But remember you never know what's best until you need it.

You might want to add as an on demand manual scanner https://www.malwarebytes.com/antirootkit/

It's beta and I have used it this way for a year or so. I don't know of a better rootkit scanner, it destroyed a rootkit I picked up that nothing else could touch.

ClamWin free. If you need an always on scanner, you should simply back it up and lock it down as necessary. I put malwarebytes on my mom's 8.1 HP pc, defender is disabled. She does netflix and some light browsing. Works great.

Back