• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

NewEgg now a Chinese company's subsidiary

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.
Not to change the subject, but what kind of bike is that in your Avatar Alaric, Buell or Norton? Or am I way off? LOL

CB 750 SOHC with a 93 HP M3 Racing motor. Not my bike but very similar to one I used to own. :) And the intent behind FTW for the Chinese would be "for the win", and another entirely different interpretation. LOL

CB 750 SOHC with a 93 HP M3 Racing motor. Not my bike but very similar to one I used to own. :) And the intent behind FTW for the Chinese would be "for the win", and another entirely different interpretation. LOL

Nice bike. I used to have a CB750 from 72 and a CB450 (twin) from 69 in my late teenage years... I loved both!

The Black Bomber! 9000 RPM, torsion bar valve springs. Great bike and killer of Bonnevilles and Sportsters. My 750 was a '74, sort of. I mixed and matched parts (trans gears for ratio changes, etc.) and did quite a bit of engine work. Finished up as an 850cc beast. KZ 900s lived in fear of it. LMAO.

CB 750 SOHC with a 93 HP M3 Racing motor. Not my bike but very similar to one I used to own. :)

Honda. Nice bikes. That's what I ride too. 2002 VTX 1800R.

Sorry for the distraction OP. Let's get back to not buying Chinese again.

The Chines are going to take over the world then we will be sorry about fair trade.

Standard of living in China
Since the 1990s there has been an increasing number of apartment built in China which remain empty. By 2010 approximately 65 million apartments, capable of housing some 250 million people, were unoccupied, due to there being too expensive for the majority of Chinese to purchase or rent. At the same time many millions of urban Chinese remained living in slums. But, as the urbanization rate in China remains high (approx. 20 million Chinese move from rural areas each year[4]) this problem is not severe and many so-called "ghost cities" become inhabited. As for 2012, there is 35 sq.meters per person in average and construction rate exceeds 1.5 sq. meters per year which allows total living area to exceed 50 sq. meters per capital as soon as in the year 2020 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_of_living_in_China

As with food supplies and clothing, the availability of housewares went through several stages. Simple, inexpensive household items, like thermoses, cooking pans, and clocks were stocked in department stores and other retail outlets all over China from the 1950s on. Relatively expensive consumer durables became available more gradually. In the 1960s production and sales of bicycles, sewing machines, wristwatches, and transistor radios grew to the point that these items became common household possessions, followed in the late 1970s by television sets and cameras. In the 1980s supplies of furniture and electrical appliances increased along with family incomes. Household survey data indicated that by 1985 most urban families owned two bicycles, at least one sofa, a writing desk, a wardrobe, a sewing machine, an electric fan, a radio, and a television. Virtually all urban adults owned wristwatches, half of all families had washing machines, 10 percent had refrigerators, and over 18 percent owned color televisions. Rural households on average owned about half the number of consumer durables owned by urban dwellers. Most farm families had 1 bicycle, about half had a radio, 43 percent owned a sewing machine, 12 percent had a television set, and about half the rural adults owned wristwatches.[3]

Honda. Nice bikes. That's what I ride too. 2002 VTX 1800R.

Sorry for the distraction OP. Let's get back to not buying Chinese again.

Let's buy Japanese! ;)

End of digression...

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is quite simple: as soon as the internal Chinese market will be big enough to absorb Chinese production (ket's say 20 to 30 years, at the current pace), supply for foreign countries will be limited, then null, then us, westerners, are going to manufacture clothes, electronics and all sorts of MFG for the Chinese!

Just in case you missed it Mao presided over the slaughter of millions. Source

Mao's Great Leap Forward 'killed 45 million in four years'
I grew up with a kid, very good friend, who's family escaped China during the 1948 Cultural Revolution. His grandfather was shot and killed as the family crawled under a fence to escape to Freedom. And his family's story is one of few as most of the people that didn't make it to Taiwan or other countries aren't around to tell the tale. Also consider Stalin's purges post-WW2, 60 million; Pol Pot's 'stacked skulls' after the Communist purges in Cambodia, 3 million. There seems to be a disconnect between what's taught in schools lately and what history tells us is a nightmare.

From my other post:
I personally avoid purchasing products from Communist countries whenever I can determine that fact

How is it that anyone can take my 'avoid' and reconstruct it to mean 'don't' ? Please reconsider your reading of my post for what it is, a missive of my personal efforts which are weak, admittedly, as I'm not on the front lines of the battle, just a guy willing to deny the enemies of Freedom any aid and comfort when possible.

Self policing here, we're getting pretty close to that "political" side of this.

Moving beyond that, here are some slight issues Im having with some of the anti-chinese rhetoric. It's the near hypocrisy of what "is" and "isn't" considered a "chinese purchase".

For example, robert. In your profile signature, you have an "Installing an AIO to R9 290x via Kraken Mount"

Well. That Kraken G10 is an NZXT made product.... right out of China. Mounted with a Corsair H50... which uses Chinese parts that are assembled at home. All of the cost savings, none of the guilt right?

Oh, all that chinese kit is put on top of your made in china graphics card.

but you dont shop from communism...

Continuing. That next thread you used a black and decker jig saw.... wellp... thats made in china.

Lastly, we're lubricating the keyboard that was manufactured in Suzhou, China. Probably lubricated with graphite that came from a factory in china.

You can be as patriotic and "in my face about it" as much as you want. Avoiding china commerce is almost futile and pointless at this point. Lets bear in mind, this was not a personal attack, more of a tongue-in-cheek example of precisely how difficult avoiding china is. What you CAN do is research where some of your products are coming from and decide for yourself. Sometimes, you have no other options, or you get to pay the "american premium". Unfortunately "Made in America" doesn't have the same weight in quality it used to.

That said, businesses move around quite frequently, and more than you'd expect I bet. If you operate a computer, theres a good chance the company Ingram Micro had something to do with it. Originally an American company, it was bought out by chinese investors. Guess what, they are still alive and kicking and still doing what they are doing.

General Electric sold its appliance division to some chinese investors. Still have the top rated appliance ratings on consumerratings.com. Oh the real kicker? Even though bought out by chinese, the parts are still MADE IN AMERICA.

So go ahead, don't shop at newegg. The american workers that you were supporting will go ahead and find new jobs I guess....

- - - Updated - - -

I think it is quite simple: as soon as the internal Chinese market will be big enough to absorb Chinese production (ket's say 20 to 30 years, at the current pace), supply for foreign countries will be limited, then null, then us, westerners, are going to manufacture clothes, electronics and all sorts of MFG for the Chinese!

Jokes aside, they have been trending to this for a while lol

So go ahead, don't shop at newegg. The american workers that you were supporting will go ahead and find new jobs I guess....
What if most of the jobs at newegg ship out of the USA then what? I do like that they can speak English clearly.

Wow, all you folks assume so much. I guess you want more. More what? Justification? I personally import products from overseas. Yes, no doubt a few from Chinese factories owned by Taiwanese families' subsidiaries. Or German ownership. Even US ownership. I've imported from Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Poland, So. Korea, Taiwan, India, and Turkey.

I absolutely know where my PC parts are made. And most other products that enter my business or home. I absolutely know that there are some products that can be sourced elsewhere. And suffice it to say I'm not setting myself up as self-righteous. No need for me to make myself a pariah.

Ever try to buy shoes made in the U.S.? Only one left that produces for a retail market. The rest are custom shops. Ever buy shoes or boots at a custom shop? Ever try to buy sneakers not made in China? Mine are made in Japan (ASICS). I have shoes from Brazil, Czechoslovakia, Mexico, and Spain. Shirts are from Thailand, India, Nicaraugua, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Egypt.

I could have bought Chinese on virtually all the products listed above. Want more examples? You're missing the point entirely.

Wow, all you folks assume so much. I guess you want more. More what? Justification? I personally import products from overseas. Yes, no doubt a few from Chinese factories owned by Taiwanese families' subsidiaries. Or German ownership. Even US ownership. I've imported from Italy, Switzerland, Spain, Poland, So. Korea, Taiwan, India, and Turkey.

I absolutely know where my PC parts are made. And most other products that enter my business or home. I absolutely know that there are some products that can be sourced elsewhere. And suffice it to say I'm not setting myself up as self-righteous. No need for me to make myself a pariah.

Ever try to buy shoes made in the U.S.? Only one left that produces for a retail market. The rest are custom shops. Ever buy shoes or boots at a custom shop? Ever try to buy sneakers not made in China? Mine are made in Japan (ASICS). I have shoes from Brazil, Czechoslovakia, Mexico, and Spain. Shirts are from Thailand, India, Nicaraugua, Costa Rica, Mexico, and Egypt.

I could have bought Chinese on virtually all the products listed above. Want more examples? You're missing the point entirely.

What point? I never saw a point, just xenophobic ranting.

Not supporting certain countries won't "stop" them. They will manage just fine.
But seriously, what does it matter if some foreign company buys an American company? As long as things stay the same or get better I don't see any downsides.

I'm so confused why this is such a big issue. :shrug:

Well how are you going to deal with all the hardware manufactured in China that Newegg sold and still sells. That knot is impossible to untangle and separate. Excluding everything Chinese might be possible, but it will greatly limit your choices. I have a Supermicro server board and it's full of Asian parts, some of them coming from China.

Not supporting certain countries won't "stop" them. They will manage just fine.
But seriously, what does it matter if some foreign company buys an American company? As long as things stay the same or get better I don't see any downsides.

I'm so confused why this is such a big issue. :shrug:

I guess once all the job leave america inflation will go up from loans and bankruptcy because all the money will be leaving county for imported goods and no Exports. Folks need to think of it simple like this, It's like the USA is always buying from the neighbor China and China wont let you sell to him anything, USA will run out of money.

Back