• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Disassembled PC shipping tips and advice!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

fosk

Hey guys I'm just wondering if anyone with experience could lend some advice or just an opinion.

If I need to disassemble and pack PC parts individually for shipping is there anything special I should know or do? I was thinking I would just try to pack the parts in their original box with the cardboard/foam and add some extra bubble wrap? I would keep the CPU in the Mobo as a no brainer right? I was planning to send everything except the case and just get a new one there.

This would be shipped via a shipping company in larger boxes with other general goods of mine.

Reasoning behind this, if I do this I will get free insurance that will cover theft or fire on all of the goods, If I want specific insurance on the PC for any kinds of damage other than theft and fire they are asking $1000 extra and with a 6700k build (no GPUs) costing around $1500 I just don't see the worth on a 4770k 970 SLI build since even if a full claim was made i would probably still be losing out massively.

Am I correct in belief that there is a far better chance for something to break when shipping the PC fully built, parts mostly concerned about would be the SLI 970s and the Corsair h100i liquid pump/tubes etc. I know the tubes are strong and sealed tight but if they somehow leaked weeks after I received the build I would be left with no coverage.

This is Air shipping so I don't know if there's any extra considerations to do. Will be packing in the next few days so anything relevant would be appreciated.

I would think that pulling apart and packaging separate would be safer for sure. Put everything you can in anti-static bags as well if you can. Though not likely an issue, putting the H100 in a bag b4 boxing might be smart too.. just in case it gets kinked or pressure changes have some really adverse effect (though very unlikely).

the only way i could see trying to ship a fully configured pc would be packing the inside with something that doesnt cause static when it moves around and will stay tightly packed and not expand/contract with pressure/temp differences.

Personally, I don't see much of a chance of something being damaged in shipping. Sounds like you are having a mover do this (as opposed to USPS or FEDEX or UPS). If you had a large and heavy air cooler mounted to the motherboard I would have different advice but in your case everything bolted to the mobo and the case is light weight. I can't see anything damaging the system if you pack it in the original box with styrofoam offsets. It would take something like a forklift puncture to do damage and that is not how they are going to handle the boxes I would imagine.

You might find that upsetting the water cooling system by moving the case in different positions during shipping might introduce air bubbles into the system that take a few hours of running to dissipate once you get it setup again on the other end of the move. So I wouldn't stress the CPU hard at first.

I would think that pulling apart and packaging separate would be safer for sure. Put everything you can in anti-static bags as well if you can. Though not likely an issue, putting the H100 in a bag b4 boxing might be smart too.. just in case it gets kinked or pressure changes have some really adverse effect (though very unlikely).

the only way i could see trying to ship a fully configured pc would be packing the inside with something that doesnt cause static when it moves around and will stay tightly packed and not expand/contract with pressure/temp differences.

Good looking out on the Antistatic bag, now that i think about it half of the hardware came in one. I got ones for both GPUs just not sure if the motherboard came in one which i dont have anymore for either PC.

If i cant find a Antistatic Bag big enough for the Mobo and PSU is there anyother suggestions or tips? I read somewhere about being able to combine smaller antistatic bags as sheets to cover but can not longer find the link. Im shipping Tuesday so i have today and Monday to find something.

Last edited:
Back