• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

Help, motherboard screws got stuck in the standoffs!

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Vishera

So the standoffs for my case's motherboard tray broke off and are stuck to the screws for the board. As such i cannot take the screws out completely. How can I fix this?!

You should be able to get a small wrench or plier on the hex of the standoff and hold it while you unscrew the screw; you can also put a drop of super glue on the tip of a screw driver and put it in the phillips drive of the screw, hold it steady for 10 seconds, and it should help to back out the screw.

You should be able to get a small wrench or plier on the hex of the standoff and hold it while you unscrew the screw; you can also put a drop of super glue on the tip of a screw driver and put it in the phillips drive of the screw, hold it steady for 10 seconds, and it should help to back out the screw.
Exactly. Get something on the other side to hold on to it, and unscrew it.

Yup, some vice grips and elbow grease got them right off! Thanks!

Okay new question. I checkedthe motherboard socket and some of the pins are bent in it. I must have meased then up taking the CPU out. Is there any way to unbend them? I don't know if ASRock will RMA for bent socket pins...

If you have a mechanical pencil, possibly. I've had good luck with that method.

Remove the lead and use the metal tube to slide over the tip of the bent pin. *GENTLY* bend the pin back in place.

Magnifying glass helps in this. Very slightly overbend the pin and see how far it bends back, and adjust as necessary.

if you want to get it taken care of localy, go to a local parts house and ask about a speed-o shop, speed-os are all just a displays now so all the speed-o shops are now electronics shops.
even out here in the sticks we have one that not only corrects my bent pins but also fixes my power supplies and replaces the caps on my motherboards.
he charges like there is no tomorrow because it's not up his alley but, by the time I pay to ship it off and back and figuring in the time thing, it's well worth it.

When are bent pins not your fault? I have never seen a board arrive with bent pins...

I have! :p. It's SUPER rare but it does happen. Problem is, is proving who did what, how it came, etc.

You can usually tell if it's user-induced, as it'll be a small section of them. I've had one before where 1-2 pins were bent in an odd spot, and it would be EXTREMELY difficult for it to occur by bad installation or otherwise.

Seen maybe 2-3 over 2.5 years working at an online IT store with a workshop. That's thousands of boards. So yeah, rare.

But if the customer screws in the board first, we see marks, paste everywhere, etc, badluck. If the board is spotless and 1 bent pin, it's most likely factory so we took the RMA.

I have! :p. It's SUPER rare but it does happen. Problem is, is proving who did what, how it came, etc.

You can usually tell if it's user-induced, as it'll be a small section of them. I've had one before where 1-2 pins were bent in an odd spot, and it would be EXTREMELY difficult for it to occur by bad installation or otherwise.

Seen maybe 2-3 over 2.5 years working at an online IT store with a workshop. That's thousands of boards. So yeah, rare.

But if the customer screws in the board first, we see marks, paste everywhere, etc, badluck. If the board is spotless and 1 bent pin, it's most likely factory so we took the RMA.

I have yet to see one that wasn't customer caused. Minus the old EVGA 780i SLi boards. Those are a different story.

Back