• Welcome to Overclockers Forums! Join us to reply in threads, receive reduced ads, and to customize your site experience!

SOLVED Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 BIOS update

Overclockers is supported by our readers. When you click a link to make a purchase, we may earn a commission. Learn More.

Alaric

I have the above mobo, and while playing hide and seek with a HDD, I found a new BIOS was available for the board (F8). So I flashed the new BIOS from a file using the Gigabyte utility. The new one, F8, was supposed to have better XMP compatibility. Nope. It wouldn't run my RAM at 3000 MHz no matter what I tried. It was stuck at 2133 MHz. I went back to F7 and all is well. It runs the XMP profile with no problems. The new BIOS may solve the XMP issue for some, but on my set up it failed in epic fashion. So if you update to F8 on this board and have that problem just go back to F7. :thup:

Good to know. I haven't updated to F8 yet, I might hold off since everything is running smoothly now.

Exactly. XMP compatibility was the only "improvement" listed for the new BIOS, and that's exactly what it broke on mine. Unless you're having problems with your mobo holding the XMP profile I wouldn't update.

Alaric, good afternoon!
I finished setting up a PC and this is the configuration and I have not yet installed OS:

Intel i7-6700K @ 4000MHz
Watercooler Corsair H80i GT
Gigabyte Z170 Gaming 7
GSkill TridentZ 16 GB DDR4 @ 3000MHz 14-14-14-34
Samsung 850 EVO SSD 500 GB
Corsair HX850i

Could you help me by saying how did you work those memories with this motherboard? It only gives 55 here.

Welcome to OCF. :) I just went in to the BIOS and selected the XMP profile for the memory. I'm not sure what '55' indicates?

Thank you.
The motherboard diagnoses and shows this error that is referring to the memory. Since our motherboards and memory are the same, I figured I had this problem. I researched some forums and several people reported this problem, but I still have not found a solution.

I don't recall getting any error codes, just the difficulty with setting the XMP profile. If you're having difficulty just getting it work, a BIOS update may be your next step. I believe F8 is still the current one, but a trip to Gigabyte's website can confirm tha before you download from them. I'll try to have a look over there this afternoon.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm sorry if the writing is not good, I'm using google translator. I'm from Brazil and I do not speak English.

So you're still getting memory or memory controller errors. Have you tried moving the RAM sticks to different slots, and one stick at a time, testing each slot. After that I'd look at the CPU socket and make sure no pins are damaged

Your writing skills are fine, as is your English. :)

I was very careful when setting the processor to avoid this kind of problem. I'll do a few more trials with one module at a time.
I do not speak English, I'm talking to you thanks to Google Translate.

My current BIOS is F7. I'll try to get a screenshot of it some time today. Try clearing CMOS, make sure Fast Boot is disabled and see if you still get the error code.

In the first post. I went back to F7, as the new (at the time) BIOS, F8, wouldn't let me run the XMP profile. The current BIOS (F20) was a beta at that time, and once you flash to that you can't go back. Since I knew F7 worked I didn't want to risk F20 and possibly be stuck with a non solution to my proble. :)

So bios chip #1 of the dual bios still had the original F7 bios on it? Does giga let you flash backwards? Asus doesn't these days.

I just reinstalled F7 with the Giga utility. I didn't know blocking that was a policy for anyone. How odd. I don't recall what the question was that F20 was supposed to be the answer to (Kaby Lake?) but the Giga download page only lists F20 as unable to change back from, no such warnings for the others and I wennt back to the earlier BIOS with no issues

But why shouldn't you be able to back flash from F20 like all the others. Just because F20 gives Kaby microcode shouldn't prevent you from going backwards. Or are they afraid idiot people will flash up to F20, plug in a Kaby CPU and then try to flash back thus losing the ability to boot?

Back